It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-year-old Florida boy, Cristian Fernandez, faces first degree murder charge for 2-year-old

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't believe the child will go to actual prison at the age of 12.

He will go to a juvenile facility, and then at the age of 18 or 21 he will be sent to an actual prison.

I don't know how to feel about this situation. On one hand, this kid could just be a victim of his circumstance, and if removed from that situation, and given years of help, could very well become a productive member of society.

On the other hand, his situation might have so deeply traumatized him that he will NEVER be better again, and will become more and more sadistic and psychopathic the older he gets. He might turn into a serial killer, rapist, child molester, or any number of things.

It's so hard to make a call on the future of a poor 12 year old boy. It could go either way, and regardless of which way you choose there could be terrible consequences.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
First Degree Murder?! A bunch of frikkin' monkeys would make better prosecutors and psychiatrists than the ones handling this case!

wth! I am absolutely raging over this! What kind of animals would have such a mind-set? It's more than obvious that a 12 year old child beating a 2 year old child to death IS WRONG but to call that first degree murder and sentence him as an adult?! MONKEYS I SAY! /rage

IT--

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think a charge of first-degree-murder would be absolutely just in this case. A 12-year-old knows perfectly well that beating someone to death is nothing short of senseless murder. I can't believe some are trying to paint this kid as some clueless dummy. It's best to take care of him now before he grows up and commits more heinous crimes.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

Its questionable. He may not of known..
And the other question is.. Even if he knew, did he know at the time. IE: Was he out of control in a fit of rage?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I think you're underestimating the mind of a 12-year-old. A kid his age certainly knows that vicious beating can and will lead to death. But yes, after looking over the story again, I think a charge of manslaughter might be in store.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Without hearing that the 12 year old boy beat his little brother with something other then his hands, I will be forced to believe that it was more likely the mother who did it... Im sure its possible she was behind the previous broken leg and also what was claimed to be the suicide of the boys Father...

His eyes dont portray guilt or murder to me but they do show resolve, I think he is protecting her doing as she asked... She did after all save him from the sexual abuse...

More details are needed for a good indication one way or another...
edit on 6-6-2011 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The mother the boy and the baby were all victims. Victims of the drug addict grandmother and a screwed up foster care system where 75% of all kids in foster care will be molested at some point. The mother was obviously very troubled having been raised by a drug addict, getting pregnant at 12 and the ending up in the foster care system.

I am so glad to see so many people not passing such harsh judgment on this kid and asking for the books to be thrown at him. I think its owed to him that society does everything they can to rehabilitate him. If at 21 it seems that there is no hope for rehabilitation then they can review the case, until then he should be given all the help possible.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

I just recently came across this story. There seems to be more to it, than meets the eye.

According to the article, the mother did not rush to get medical attention for the toddler.

There also seems to be some possible physical, mental, and sexual abuse in this young boys past.

Apparently he even witnessed his stepfather commit suicide last year.

Just from the small amount that I have read so far, I feel sorry for this kid.

ww w.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6/6/11 by BrokenCircles because: stepfather**

I couldn't agree more my friend. Not a big fan of reading these types of stories.

How awful!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Regarding "blame", as I've stated in many other threads and many other conversations over my life, based on the primary, secondary, and tertiary system for "helping professionals." Primary intervention would have been the best thing here with whatever the GRANDMOTHER was dealing with as a kid.

Too late for that.

Secondary would have been to remove the girl from her addict mother, or when she was discovered pregnant at the very latest...even if that wasn't until she went to the ER with labor pains. surely someone in her environment recognized there was something wrong with this crowd. (What human being that is NOT psychotic can stand by and do nothing while children are being abused or neglected? What does that say about society and sub-sets of society?)

Too late for that now, too.

Tertiary intervention, take the baby away immediately. A 12-year old barely makes a competent babysitter for latent children, let alone having responsibility for the survival and nurturing of an INFANT.

The boy was so pre-doomed it's pathetic. So, who's to blame?

And how do some people survive horrendous childhoods and turn out okay? Indisputably, they do. Resilience is still somthing not understood by psychology. Some kids have every advantage and turn into cold-blooded killers and cons. Some kids have NONE, and plenty of disadvantages to boot, but turn out GREAT.

WHY?
Until we know how to determine resilience by some now unimagineable means, we can't predict who will transcend their circumstances and who will not.

The boy's "dead" eyes are indicative of attachment disorder -- complete inability to see others as human living persons with rights and feelings. There are mounds of stories of well-meaning, educated people who adopted foreign "orphans" or "removed children", and were bitterly disappointed to learn that it was already too late. No amount of nurturing, or therapy, can replace humanity that has been annihjlated in an infant. Ted Kaczinksi is a good example, if you take the time to read about how his ability to respond to others was destroyed when, as a baby, he was hospitalized and his mother was not allowed to come see him due to protocol. Over time he became "flat", the "dead eyes" thing...gradually, but unmistakeably.

No one knows which kids are going to react that way to abandonment, and which will respond to subsequent loving, nurturing care. We know there are different levels of tolerance, and different degrees of neediness in every baby born. The key is for the parent(s) to identify their baby's limits and ADJUST their care accordingly. It's an adult thing, not something a 12-year old can do, at least not in this day and age or this American culture.

Life in prison will not fix this boy's problems. The "costs" of imprisoning, hosptilazition, rehab efforts, meds, etc are staggering when one looks at the time, effort, and price of doing so (there are researchers who have done those calcs - more info is available if anyone wants to know where)....

So, what to do, then? A baby is dead. A young girls' chilldhood was taken from her. A mother of a girl was not taught how to be a mother. Who taught her mother?

These people are caught in a complex, dysfunctional, and ongoing "family system" that has miserably failed them. As a therapist, I MIGHT be able to sit down and, with accurate information (which is not likely to be accessed), find out in which generation it all went to hell. What was the triggering event that sent grandmother to drug addiction? That is the starting point. Where is she now? What consequences did she receive for the legacy she "provided" for these innocent lives who didn't ASK to be born.

SHE should be in prison for life, and the three children who exist because of her choices are ALL victims here. Two have ruined lives, and one lost theirs altogether. It's tragic. No amount of prison time for this boy can heal him. Probably not even any amount of loving rehab. I think the best alternative is to commit him to an institution for the criminally insane, which all by itself is a travesty. But....what else is there to do???

edit on 7-6-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

12-year-old Florida boy, Cristian Fernandez, faces first degree murder charge for 2-year-old

ww w.nydailynews.com

A "baby-faced" 12-year-old in Florida may spend the rest of his life in jail for the murder of his 2-year-old half brother.

Cristian Fernandez allegedly killed the toddler in March. Last week, the boy was indicted by a grand jury for first-degree murder.

If convicted, he would be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

The 2-year-old, David Galarriago, was hospitalized on March 14 after being "physically battered" by his older sibling.

Fernandez's mother, also faces charges.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
jacksonville.com

Why are little boy's held to a higher standard then grown women? I wouldn't be surprised if the mother killed the 2 year old and is blaming the 12 year old to cover it up.

antimisandry.com...

But seriously, if he was a 12 year old girl we wouldn't even know the suspects name. Isn't it illegal for newspapers to publish the perps name if the offender is a minor? Or does that only apply for girl's and women?

Look at how both links fail to mention the name of the mother. And look how a feminist prosecutor even admitted to bias before seeing the suspect(she imagined him looking like a monster, then seen he was just a boy and went forward charging him as an adult).

Seriously, this is getting pathetic. Girls and women need to be held to the same standard as boy's and men. They can murder, rape, molest, steal with practical immunity. Heck the only time women or girl's are ever punished in any meaningful way is if their victim was a girl, woman or an elderly person(and that is iffy in of itself).

Honestly the voting age for males either needs to be lowered to 11or 12 years of age, or women should give up the right to vote if they aren't serious about equal treatment within the law.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join