It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sensing objects in the Dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Hey,
I really hope I´m posting this in the right forum. I choose this one because it fits better than the "Paranormal" forum wich is such a prepossessing word.
And I hope to explain it a good way.
It´s easy to test for you, so it would be nice, that if you want to reply, that you give it a try before.
I have nothing to win to fake such an "ability" but I could loose my credibility here on ATS if I would post BS.
So fake/troll screamers hold on please.

So lets begin:
Before I go to bed, I always take a bottle of water with me, because sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up being thirsty. Over the years I recognized that I developed a kind of sense for objects in the dark. When I wake up being thirsty I turn myself to the side of the bed and reach with my arm along the borders of my bed. I always feel it when my hand is over the bottle (without touching it of course). Over time, this "sense" developed somehow. For example, when I´m in a dark room, without any light, I can somehow feel the presence of the objects in the room. Before I would hit a wall or any other obstacle in the room, theres a warm feeling in the parts of my body that are near to the object/wall. I testet this with friends in their rooms because there is a chance that I simply know my room really good. It worked, and I can really rely on it without fear. When I close my eyes, I even get "accurater" feelings. We tryed it with gloves and clothes on me and the ability to feel objects perishes then.
The feeling starts at a aproximate distance of 10cm and gets warmer/stronger the closer I get. My face and my hands are the sensitivest parts for this.

If you try it, it helps to tape yourself with a nightvision cam, so you can see the results and be carefull, dont poke your eyes out

So what kind of sense is that? Anybody out there that has the same feelings?

EDIT: By the way, it works also in daylight but the feeling is hard to recognize, maybe because my other sins are bussy too?
edit on 6-6-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

EDIT2: Wanted to state that the feeling is not like seeing the objects or whatever

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
try to get a friend do displace all of your furniture... would be interesting to see you stumble all over the place

*on a more serious note. I do seem to feel the same sense, never explored it further but it's definitely worth looking into to.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
it would be nice of you would do so

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

I was in the military in the 80's. I was able to locate a specific individual in the darkness. It was during blackout conditions in the middle of nowhere. I always thought it was pheromones since we where attracted to each other.
However, I keep a bottle of water next to me on my night stand and the remote control to my tv. I can always find them with my eyes closed while waking up. I think it's just a built in honing device in our brains.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There is a new method some blind people are using to sense objects by emitting little clicks with their voice. They have trained themselves to tell the minute difference in sound when an object is close at hand so certainly what your saying is possible somehow.

There isn't any scientific proof for what your saying but then again science is far from complete so maybe your tapping into something like the blind people have figured out how to do.

If you are really serious that you can do this you may want to contact your local university have some some controlled tests set up to see what is actually going on. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to research this for you.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Sensing objects in the dark.

According to modern medicine and how they explain the function of the brain, we know that in order for that table to be there in order for you to experience it, your brian has to know its there. Hence reality being a construct of the mind and you being aware of the full reality of yourself within the universe.

Its so freakin rediculously simple.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
First, thanks for all the replys.
I dont think I´m a special one.
This is the reason why I posted this, to find other people that have similar experiences.
And I dont want to present evidences in any kind of shape, because it doesn´t matter for me if someone beliefes me or not, I just want to collect other statements about it. This is why I wrote that everyone that answers or joins the debate would please try it for himself. So the thing with the university (the next one is one hour by car) is not an option for me but a great idea

But when I have time (actually I have not much time by now because I studdy) and the university wants to perform some test, I´m with it for sure

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
There is a new method some blind people are using to sense objects by emitting little clicks with their voice. They have trained themselves to tell the minute difference in sound when an object is close at hand so certainly what your saying is possible somehow.

There isn't any scientific proof for what your saying but then again science is far from complete so maybe your tapping into something like the blind people have figured out how to do.

If you are really serious that you can do this you may want to contact your local university have some some controlled tests set up to see what is actually going on. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to research this for you.

Yeah I remember a blind guy riding a bike through a park doing that exact thing, clicking like a bat.

Amazing to watch.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Your brain reads all streams of frequency in Fourier mathematic equations. Everything gives off light and you can see that, whether or not you know it. The fact that sound and light are actually the same thing might help you understand.

What this means is that, in at least one sense (no pun intended), you can "see" in the dark. It's just we are not typically "looking" at it. I hope that makes sense (again, no pun intended).

So, if you are able to sense these things in the dark, congratulate yourself for practice paying off!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
According to some schools of Zen Buddhism, if you are completley absent of fear, then you can walk, even run through the woods in the darkness without tripping over anything.
edit on 7-6-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I have to take a reread in fourier.
Did anybode took the time to test if they can feel this too? I mean, its simply to check, close your eyes and move your hand over the keyboard, stop if you think you feel "more space" under your hands.

A thing that came up my mind just now is that, when I was younger and I walked the streets towards home, from a friend, I often did the following:

for example I walked along a fence, so I closed my eyes (while still walking) and tried to open my eyes when I thought, this must be the moment when the fence ends. Often this was the case. Maybe my brain calculated the steps in subconcious so its just nothing but I tend to say that it was more a feeling of "its just the right moment, the fence has ended".

Its similar to the feeling being watched, you know and then you turn your back and so someone walking behind you but you didn´t recognized him before by seeing or hearing. The feeling in the neck is similar to the feeling I get with my hands. It would be nice if someone actually tries this, because I think I can not be the only one.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm really good at getting around in the dark too. I am very comfortable with it, and even find that at times when I need to be very careful about something I am doing, I close my eyes to do it. I mean when I am doing things with my hands or the rest of my body.
It wasn't that long ago that I found out not everyone has this skill or ability and started to research to find out what it is and how it works.

I think some of it comes from ones ability to focus on representations in the mind of exterior objects; one of the forms of intelligence sited in theories of different sorts of intelligence. It involves a certain amount of imagination, and coordination between senses and mind.

But I also am very intuitive, very receptive to subtle sensory input that my subconscious picks up, so when it is dark, or when I close my eyes, I am more able to focus on that inner source of input. Visual perception sometimes disrupts that, as my conscious mind and it's thoughts (what things are, should be, or my intents) seems to work through my vision, distorting what I see, or at least, only focusing on that which conforms or is relevant to those thoughts.

In the dark I am without that crutch and more receptive.

I realized also that this sensitivity is useful in all sorts of ways! Like if you go to the market to get vegetables, try closing your eyes and running your hand a couple of inches over the vegetables and fruit. You can feel which ones to pick up. There's a warm tingly feeling. With some things, like melon, which are hard to determine how ripe they are, how sweet they will be inside, this is AMAZINGLY accurate! You will always get the ones at the peek of their quality! I also use it to determine where my kids or husband have a problem in their body, if there are symptoms but the localization of the problem is not clear. Running my hand above their body, I can get that tingly feelign when I find the place that is the source of the symptoms.
edit on 7-6-2011 by coquine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Yea I have that too. I think most people can kind of sense when theyre close to something. I can "feel" the presence of people moving throught the house too, even people in the basement. I could always get this feeling of movement, and a few seconds later my parents would be coming up to use the bathroom or go to bed. Even at my girlfriends house I can feel people walking throught the house. even when wearing my gaming headphones.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
you´re gaming in your girlfriends house? How weird is that?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I think if you try sleeping over at a friends house, you will find that you are completely disoriented (in the dark) in strange surroundings.

Our brains build paths that become roads that become hiways with repetition over time. Like riding a bike or playing piano. The more you do a thing the more synapses in your nervous system are dedicated to the task. Thats why we remember old habits so well. Sometimes to our detriment (like smoking cigarettes). I hate familiar ruts.

Remembering where you place a glass of water at your bedside becomes a no brainer over (years) time. I'm not saying that is not a special skill, just not in the realm of Paranormal. It is a learned response.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

First, sorry for my late response.
I agree with all what you said, expect the paranormal, because I never thought or stated that it is paranormal

There are some interesting things I read in the meantime and I´ll post it here soon.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I think we all have that sense, I know I do. for one thing, once I learn the house, I can get up and go the the bathroom, do my business, and get back to bed without opening my eyes, or completely waking up. For another thing, I sleep with a loaded .44 Remington on my bedside table. I can reach out, grab that pistol, cock it and be ready for fire in just a few seconds. All it takes is a little practice, and a sense of where things are.

new topics

top topics

join