It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just because one claims the Bible says it doesn't make it so, in fact usually it's not!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
People love to slam "Christians" as a whole when one does something stupid or tragic. They then like to misquote the Bible if the original object didn't start with that also. Here is a story that I just came across and it proves that you should check out what you hear about the Bible and not just accept it because someone claims it is there...

Actually that's not in the Bible

“Most people who profess a deep love of the Bible have never actually read the book,” says Rabbi Rami Shapiro, who once had to persuade a student in his Bible class at Middle Tennessee State University that the saying “this dog won’t hunt” doesn’t appear in the Book of Proverbs.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
nice find!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think that is true for everyone... not just Christians.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well noted in the article is the phrase 'God helps those who help themselves' as coming from the bible. Nothing of its concept could be further from the truth in regards to its message. More accurate would be the statement 'God helps those who reach out to Him in faith and wait in patience', which would be a good paraphrase to most of the messages found within.

I seriously doubt many professed believers really know their 'handbook' very well, instead relying on a man to deliver a predigested, paraphrased product from the pulpit. Sadly they would rather keep the commandments of men than to actually learn what God has to say about it.

edit on 6/6/2011 by czygyny because: spelling

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
O.K. This is some rehashed CNN. This type of thinking is for the lost. That's right folks, not all people truly read.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

The bars that run along the bottom of the visualization represent the 1189 chapters in The Bible, with the length of each bar corresponding to the number of verses in each chapter. White bars represent the Old Testament and grey bars represent The New Testament. Each arc indicates a contradiction.

"Contradictions In The Bible" by Project Reason

Do you're own research, comrades!

Peace

EXTRA GOODIES: "Scripture Project"

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

The thread wasn't about supposed contradictions in the Bible. It is about misspoken and ill perceived things supposed to be in the Bible that people quote all the time but aint in there. Thanks for your post though, you proved my point...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

This is why I bothered to read the book and give chapter and verse (and translation) when referencing the Bible. Granted, the stuff people tend to erroneously tack on to the Bible is often times better than the stuff that's actually in there.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Sure, many people go by "what they heard somewhere" and misquote the bible. Luckily there are SO many completely weird and un-godlike things that the bible does say, that if you simply cut and paste straight from the bible, you are pretty much safe.

Written above: 'God helps those who reach out to Him in faith and wait in patience'.

In my view it should be "God may comfort you if you trust in him (her, they) but God isn't going to buy you a truck or fix your bad tooth or smite your neighbor - so get off your ass and do what is right, love your neighbor, and quit laying it all on God".

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

No problem.

I provided the link so other people could decide whether your position and OP title is valid.

It's nice doing your own research instead of taking the word of religious apologists.

The bible DOES contradict itself, and abhorrent preaching is not ALWAYS a misunderstanding of the "metaphorical" passages. Hellfire is preached.
edit on 7/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
Rabbi Rami Shapiro, who once had to persuade a student in his Bible class at Middle Tennessee State University that the saying “this dog won’t hunt” doesn’t appear in the Book of Proverbs.

Oh, that's hilarious!

(I don't know that idiom or what it means, but it's funny...)
V

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

I provided the link so other people could decide whether your position and OP title is valid.

It's nice doing your own research instead of taking the word of religious apologists.

The bible DOES contradict itself, and abhorrent preaching is not ALWAYS a misunderstanding of the "metaphorical" passages. Hellfire is preached.
edit on 7/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

Oh goodness, you are an attention-whore aren't you? Your posts are not really relevant, but you won't let that stop you, you won't let even being proven wrong stop you... Your ego won't allow it.
V

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Um...care to actually address a_a_a's point instead of launching into full-on personal attack mode, or is that too much to ask on a discussion forum?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Vicky32

Um...care to actually address a_a_a's point instead of launching into full-on personal attack mode, or is that too much to ask on a discussion forum?

If he actually made a point, I would address it. Otherwise, no. He'd rather play poor pitiful me, as he does all the time.
V

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

So, according to you citations of external sources in support of your positions and a request for addressing them is now self-pity.

Alright, prove to me that the Bible doesn't promote sodomizing babies. I won't address any of those self-pitying 'references' you have.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicky32

So, according to you citations of external sources in support of your positions and a request for addressing them is now self-pity.

Alright, prove to me that the Bible doesn't promote sodomizing babies. I won't address any of those self-pitying 'references' you have.

Oh really, don't be so juvenile! I haven't the energy right now..

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

reply to post by Vicky32

If he actually made a point, I would address it. Otherwise, no. He'd rather play poor pitiful me, as he does all the time.
V

Now that you're onto the personal insult level, I feel it reasonable to add, that I find most of A_a_a's posts to the point, informative and relevant. He has e.g. introduced me to many of the proper concepts in theist/non-theist contexts. Something I earlier was ignorant about, as my philosophical basis originated from the eastern systems.

top topics

join