It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Wozniak: Humans will soon surrender to machines

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has seen so much stunning technological advances that he believes a day will come when computers and humans become virtually equal but with machines having a slight advantage on intelligence.

Speaking at a business summit held at the Gold Coast on Friday, the once co-equal of Steve Jobs in Apple Computers told his Australian audience that the world is nearing the likelihood that computer brains will equal the cerebral prowess of humans.

When that time comes, Wozniak said that humans will generally withdraw into a life where they will be pampered into a system almost perfected by machines, serving their whims and effectively reducing the average men and women into human pets.

Source: www.ibtimes.com...

This is what Mr. Wozniak has in mind for humans...

We're gonna fight these machines one day...like John Connor...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Just my opinion but I think things are gonna turn out more like Wall-E than terminator

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pyrodude

I have to agree. We have been trashing our planet and have become fatter and fatter. So maybe Wall E is the right path

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
not that machines will get smarter, just us getting dumber.
thats what i see.
along the way we will forget we built the machines and we will start calling them gods.

thats what we did last time.

the all seeing eye will become the google eye.
facebookers will be a fraternity teaching the old ways kind of like masons are now.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

We surrendered to machines a long time ago when we allowed them to take our jobs so our bosses could become rich and leave us for other countries, going GLOBAL. We should be so proud because we got these babies off and walking. Now they don't even know who we are.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

thats what we did last time.

This is interesting. Care to elaborate?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm skeptical. A machine is pure logic, so how can it engage in intuition like humans can? Have we invented an algorithm that makes intuition possible?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

We surrendered to machines a long time ago when we allowed them to take our jobs so our bosses could become rich and leave us for other countries, going GLOBAL. We should be so proud because we got these babies off and walking. Now they don't even know who we are.

In that case I demand you stop driving a car so horse-carriage manufacturers can get back in business.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
High powered 'Brain computers' would have some very revolutionary capabilities in regards to achieving a Utopia. A lot of the stupid, costly things we do and just inefficiency in general could be wiped out by the logic of a super computer.

The problem lies within the lack of real emotion one of these super computers would have. If we were to give these computers any actual decision making power then we could end up with an iRobot type incident due to lack of empathy and love.

That also raises another problem... not giving these machines the power to make decisions for our own good would result in a lot of the solutions the machine comes up with being denied due to matters to do with greed and economic growth. Whatever ideas this machine comes up with would be turned down by some fatcat banker or corporate overlord whereas ideas that would profit themselves personally would be exploited and tyranny would reach a whole new level.

I agree, we could be looking at a situation like this in the coming years but not dramatically soon as there are too many variables which could ultimately lead to the destruction of mankind.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

Originally posted by newcovenant

In that case I demand you stop driving a car so horse-carriage manufacturers can get back in business.

I used to have a horse and I much prefer it to the car. So fine by me. Next.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I think we will become the machines, look at how integrated technology has become in the last 20 years, even in the last 5 years.

Google Ray Kurzweil and technological singularity. Very interesting stuff IMO

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
My robot pool cleaner gets stuck in the ladder like it's nobodys bidness

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As the complexity of computers increase so does the odds that something will go wrong. In real life the Terminator would follow Google Maps across a broken bridge and end up in the river or someone would hack them so that they all dance together anytime someone plays Michael Jackson's "Thriller" song.

Even after spending billions and billions each shuttle launch is a nail-biting experience that still could go wrong (and did). Once machines start trying to navigate the physical world that we live in I doubt they will fare as well as the humans that built them. It's a jungle out here baby!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I really doubt the whole terminator issue, Asimov`s laws will be ingrained into the robots and they will not be allowed to harm human beings. For military use I see the robots being drones rather than using AI on the battle field. What makes me always laugh is the way that in the Matrix and Terminator universes they used EMP bombs and equipment sparingly. Why fire 1000 rounds into a robot when a blast from a portable EMP pulse guns could kill hundreds of them at once. The robot city in the matrix, sneek up with 1000`s of these and take control. Never really understood why they wouldent do this, would probably make for a shorter movie

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Surrender?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Well, I'm here to tell You that Wozniak hasn't a clue. We will seek Betterment and Bliss. Human bliss is very often - heh, virtually always - creative. With the Betterment Ethic, Humanity will shine. We will learn and discover and grow into a wise and loving species - if money is removed via plenum energy extraction. We are communicative, social Beings, and Most hope for higher things than They have in Their lives. And many gave up loves - of playing music, or playing baseball, or finding a cure, or finding history, or teaching to Others... Most of Us have given up these blisses to paint houses or run a cash register or account for money or insurance or so many things We only have around because of the energy scarcity and the attendant need for a system to account for it efficiently. A money system, in other words.

I recommend ol' Wozniak read my three pieces:

The Abundance Paradigm

media.abovetopsecret.com...

The End of Entropy - the foundation - read first

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - the structure

www.abovetopsecret.com...

"Surrender," My tail end.
edit on 6/6/2011 by Amaterasu because: ooops.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by richierich931
I think we will become the machines, look at how integrated technology has become in the last 20 years, even in the last 5 years.

Google Ray Kurzweil and technological singularity. Very interesting stuff IMO

Oh, I fully agree! If an Individual wishes such, as long as it breaks none of the three Laws, it is Theirs to do as They wish.

I am not certain that, with cures and life extension, a great many will choose that - but who knows. Maybe a "fad" like goth or cyberpunk. Or who knows?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon

When that time comes, Wozniak said that humans will generally withdraw into a life where they will be pampered into a system almost perfected by machines, serving their whims and effectively reducing the average men and women into human pets.

Sure, IF you can afford the machines and their maintenance. The rest of humanity will be ignored on the roadside like passed out homeless people.
You think we don't have a bias towards those who don't own any advanced technology?
How we do view 3rd world people?
How do we view our peers who don't have a computer or a cell phone?
Many of us will mock Mennonites going down the road on their horse drawn buggies.

I believe most Americans (or those of any other industrialised nation) are very biased against those who do not use and accept the same technology we do.

It is unfortunate that we embrace wholeheartedly whatever new tech that comes down the pike and only learn the true costs much later. Yet another fault in the Capitalistic system IMO.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

i was generally speaking about religious tales, myths and folklore in general.
we made those up too, but somewhere along the way we forgot about it and thats where the worship started.

in the context my post was implying that at this rate, machines would be the new gods.
in the sense they do provide for most, and most of us already can't do much without them.
we already forgot they were suposed to help us with our work, not replace us fully.

how many are still able to do maths without a calculator, or look at the time in anything but a digital clock?
etcetera etcetera....

the surrendering already happened, and at this rate the worshiping and ensuing dependency wouldn't be an unlikely scenario.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon
We're gonna fight these machines one day...like John Connor...

But conner even needed a machine heart

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join