It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US says Dropping Bombs is Not War, but Guessing a Computer Password Is: (you tell me...)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

The US government sure has an interesting way of defining war these days.

Just a few months after the Obama administration played word games with the public by insisting that air strikes in Libya were just "kinetic military action," not acts of war, the Pentagon has now come on the record stating that it will treat all acts of cyber-hacking against the US as "acts of war."
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/982047a3d301.jpg[/atsimg]

The announcement came on the heels of a supposed cyber-attack that occurred a few weeks ago against defense contractor Lockheed Martin. Officials say when hacking incidents like this occur in the future, retaliation in the form of reverse cyber-attacks, economic sanctions, and even "military strike[s]" may take place.

"A response to a cyber-incident or attack on the US would not necessarily be a cyber-response," said Col. Dave Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman. "All appropriate options would be on the table." A White House statement also said the US plans to "respond to hostile acts in cyberspace as we would to any other threat to our country," implying that computer hackers could soon face retaliatory attacks by the US military.

So when the US decides to invade foreign nations, often times without necessary congressional approval, it is just a simple act of exerting kinetic energy. But when a computer hacker correctly guesses a password and breaches the security protocols of the US government

Source: www.naturalnews.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1883c364274f.jpg[/atsimg]
Ummm, err..... ugh... I'm sorry but this person makes a great point. Between Kinetic Military Actions and a cyber attack response.

I guess the US Military is at a fork in the road now-a-days. Do they continue to allow Obama to "lead" them or do them tell him sit down and shut up.

I love it when the Dems get in control. They usually get there being the NO WAR people.... until they get into office. Then, due to their ignorance and/or incompentency they are smack dab in the middle of an event... with their pants down. Do, not to appear like hypocrits to the blind ones following them-they have to come up with crap like this.

Now, tell me that Obama and/or Congress is going to let the US Military perfom an attack on some city deep inside China or Russia (as examples) when it is determined where the "attack" began. Just no way in hell.

Sounds to me like a lot of talk with no action coming. I think they would be better to say:

"We're sending a US NAVY Seal Team to you location/computer to take whatever action is needed to end the problem/hacking".
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4aaf30c5219.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 6/6/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6cc315d7d4d.jpg[/atsimg]

Dropping 2000 bombs in a foreign nation is not an act of war, but guessing your password is, that basically says it all.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30ebe522f82d.jpg[/atsimg]

It is the logic of might makes right, if you are the strongest you will make the rules for everyone. This mentality is derived from arrogance, almost all empires have had this trait.

It is really sick, the sickest part is that so many Westerners accept it without any form of resistance. The hypocrisy is obvious to see, the denial is becoming a norm, the sense of denial is spread by the media to increase the morals of the people, because wars don't succeed without high morals (whether you gain those morals through lies or not).
edit on 6-6-2011 by confreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yet more hypocrisy from the American government. They don't appear to know what to do/say these days.
Me thinks they have their minds on other/bigger problems. Hmmmm.

Some days I feel sorry for our American brothers and sisters.

st.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
in democratic america, internet surfs you.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

I have read this a couple of weeks ago, but then I got severely attacked by commenting on those words, and bringing Iran, Stuxnet, and Israel into the subject.... and we ALL know who created Stuxnet, so did the USA commit an act of war in Iran??? In other words, nobody may hack into American Systems, yet it is OK for America to sabotage another countries computer systems.

techpinger.com...
www.symantec.com...
www.pcworld.com...

edit on 6/6/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory
Yet more hypocrisy from the American government.

I'm rather sure that if another country started dropping bombs on the USA, the definition would change rather quickly.

What Obama (and most presidents before him) is really saying is "The USA can do whatever the hell it likes to anyone anywhere, but you arent allowed to ever do anything to us in return."

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I'm afraid those days of American influence (smugness) are about over. China (and the US) is making sure of that.

America is NOT the America I grew up in and I don't like the way it is heading. I am not alone.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by alfa1

I'm afraid those days of American influence (smugness) are about over. China (and the US) is making sure of that.

America is NOT the America I grew up in and I don't like the way it is heading. I am not alone.

I reckon you nailed that one.... there's a whole world of people out ready to stand by you on that.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

Yea but that isn't a good thing....

Many agreeing with me.

I think there is an under toe of a wave of discontent with this current gov't. Like-making them sleep with one eye open we are.

Which makes me think they are up to something... and can't be trusted (completely).

On another note. Can't the IT people at these Defense agencies be a little more proactive instead of reactive?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
What the US needs is a Cyber Seal Team™.They would be inserted into the network ahead of the firewall to take prisoners of any malicious data packets and torture them until they narc out their superiors.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
But isn't guessing a computer password just kinetic cerebral internet activity?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Yep. Love it.

Tit for Tat....?

Amazing that they can even get into a Defense website.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
no empire lasts forever. these times are the death pangs for an ideal that was good on paper, but sabotaged in practice.

like all empires that self destruct, the good always survive. the scars would always be there to remind future americans of the mistakes they made.

and the cycle will go on, in another part of the world, to another people and another nation.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
First, America invaded 2 countries because a group of radicals, unrelated to said countries, took down 3 buildings and killed less than 3000 people. I'd hate to see what we do if someone steals our politicians or their corporate friends credit card numbers. I'd expect a nuke being dropped, nothing less.
You people didn't realize our country is psycho-crazy after our response to 9/11?

when you look at how they define "war" from the perspective of the politicians, this makes "perfect sense."
A war is a conflict between two different sides. Libya isn't fighting back against the US directly, so it's not a war. Iraq and Afghanistan had people fighting back, therefore, they were both wars.
Now we get to a potential cyber attack. America has stated that we would consider a hack as an attack against the US, and an act of war. So as we define war, attacks between two different sides, they're basically saying in their crazy convoluted language, that we will attack back, making it a real "war" as defined by a conflict between two sides. To them, it all seems very logical. To sane people, it sounds like they are amoral psycho-crazy war-mongers.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

the scars would always be there to remind future americans of the mistakes they made.

I wish I could agree with you-any other time I would.

But this time, I think USA is about to clock itself out of the race.

We will be slaves to China and Russia. Well, we kinda of are already.

Think about it. China owns us due to our debt and we have to pay Russia to take us into space. Why in the hell would they want to fire a shot. Just saying "Pay Up Now" is a strong enough weapon against us.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I feel the need to step in here and defend my Sysmin(System/Network Admins) brother in Arms. We've built strong defensive boarder on the edge of your computer network. We've secured each client machine with preventive measures. We've implemented two/three tier user authentication or if budget allows biometrics. We block protolcols and make you change your password every 60 days.

But we cannot stop problems originating from between the chair and keyboard. If you give a program or open an email or visit a malicious website you know nothing about, you open pandora's box.

Windows/ Linux/ MAC (built on linux) it doesn't matter, if you give access to administrative rights whether your user profile or your local machine you're going to get burnt.

The problem is our (USA's) response to this. As mentioned we've invaded several countries because of the actions of a group of folks.

Now will just Electronic proof (Nothing tangible (See: 9/11)) we will again wage the same war.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Semaphore527

we cannot stop problems originating from between the chair and keyboard.

The most truest line of the day.

A star for you.

Great post overall.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Great post, interesting stuff !!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulShadow

Thank you. What do you really think about it.

Tell me/us.

You a new person on ATS. I want to hear/read what's on your mind.

Have at it and welcome to ATS. Glad you liked the thread.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
anon72
splendid thread my man

S&F

it seems like I remember my mom doing things
like this when I was a kid.

just make up rules as she goes along.

Does Obama have PMS too ???

new topics

top topics

join