It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entertainment: Lacy Van Zant Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The father of the very successful members of Lynyrd Skynyrd died Tuesday of pulmonary illness. He was 89.

www.lynyrdskynyrd.com
On Tuesday Evening, August 3, 2004 at 7:29 p.m. EST, Lacy Van Zant succumbed to chronic pulmonary illness. He was 89 years old. The father of the late Ronnie Van Zant (founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd), Johnny Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Donnie Van Zant of 38 Special, as well as two daughters, Darlene and Marlene, Lacy was well-known as the Father of Southern Rock. Lacy died peacefully at home in Jacksonville, Fla. surrounded by his family. Funeral arrangements are still being arranged.

Lynyrd Skynyrd will postpone their August 6th show in Louisville, Kentucky until September 26th and their August 7th show in Greenville, Wisconsin has been postponed until August 20th.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many consider Lacy to be the Father of Rock & Roll. He lived a long life and it is a great upset that he has passed away.

Van Zant, known for his long beard, white hair and overalls, purchased music equipment, drove the bands to shows, lent them money and repaired their vehicles. Early versions of Lynyrd Skynyrd would practice at his home, which he later opened to fans so they could see the bands' gold and platinum records.

R.I.P. Lacy Van Zant, Father of Rock & Roll

[edit on 8-6-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Thought I added this in...

Here is the CNN link: CNN.com

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
He will be missed. R.I.P.

join