It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China may be exempted from EU carbon tax: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
www.marketwatch.com...

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) — Chinese airlines may receive an exemption from European plans to make airlines pay for their pollution under a carbon-trading scheme, as long as they can show they’ve taken their own steps in cutting greenhouse gas emissions, according to a Reuters report Monday.

China’s aviation authority has opposed rules set to come into effect Jan. 1, 2012, that will require all airlines flying to Europe to be included in an emissions trading scheme, which requires carriers to pay for permits for each ton of carbon dioxide above specified limits.

The European body has faced growing political pressures to back down in its stance or risk sparking a trade ware. On Sunday, Airbus Chief Executive Tom Enders was cited as saying in the Financial Times that the carbon-trading scheme could provoke “retaliation” against the European aviation industry

Ive always thought these "carbon tax" plans havent been passed yet? I guess I was wrong.

I wonder how long until this "tax" is worldwide?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
wow I dont think any country should be excluded. We need a level playing field. China is becoming a big kid in the playground now and has started throwing its weight around. I hope Europe hold its ground...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
further proof this is not about climate or to curb polution

just another cow to milk money from

and as money cows, the rich always get a break

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
China Russia India brazil etc have never had the slightest intention of ever cutting their carbon emissions - they simply saw it as a way to hamsstring the economic activity of the Western world.

new topics

top topics

join