It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange In Chile's Earthquakes - 6 Mile By 3 Mile Rift Rips In Earths Crust!?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

This will be especially fun, as the beginning of thread people were casting doubt that there was a rift opening in the first place.

Can you point out where anyone expressed doubt that there is a rift?

Doubt was expressed that

Instead, it has ripped a huge gash into the surface of the earth 6 miles long by 3 miles wide, 2.5 miles away!

Doubt which seems to have been well placed.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by matito

The biggest impact as of now is most likely to the town of Villa La Angostura in Argentina. A small tourist town of about 8,000. This route between Chile and Argentina is a very important commercial and tourist route between the two countries - so this eruption could lead to some economic losses. Bariloche and Villa La Angostura are primarily dependent on tourism (ski resorts). They are lucky since the ski season peaks in July-August, so hopefully by then all will be fine.

These towns have been hit hard by this, the ash has covered the ski slopes, and according to the articles in the news, they were to open in two weeks. Yikes!

Many airports are have grounded flights, as the ash will ruin the jet engines.

In addition, there seems to be concern that the ash can clog up the rivers, causing floods.

Add into this the threat of the continued activity....

But Jorge Echarran, who runs the emergency council of the surrounding Buenos Aires province, said in a local radio interview that "the cloud is already in the suburbs and is reaching the capital," hovering at an altitude of between 16,400 feet (5,000 meters) and 22,970 feet (7,000 meters).

Closer to the volcano, strong rains that began Monday night increased the danger of rivers getting clogged with ash and then overflowing in flash floods. Evacuations were expanding, with more than 4,000 people already fleeing their homes.

Vulcanologist Jorge Munoz of Chile's National Geology and Mines Service said the eruption so far is considered to be moderate, but that could change. He said the volcano will likely begin to expel lava in the coming days, along with pyroclastic material that can turn waterways into avalanches of mud and rock. www.ajc.com...

edit on 7-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

This will be especially fun, as the beginning of thread people were casting doubt that there was a rift opening in the first place.

Can you point out where anyone expressed doubt that there is a rift?

Doubt was expressed that

Instead, it has ripped a huge gash into the surface of the earth 6 miles long by 3 miles wide, 2.5 miles away!

Doubt which seems to have been well placed.

Well thats easy enough to go back to the first page and take a look.

I cant lump them all together, as your doubts were different than others, so....

And one other thing, in quoting from the OP above you took a sentence out of context. So, here I have added the quote from the OP with the sentence you left out, which was from The Survival Blog snippet.

Originally posted by burntheships

In addition, apparently the volcano itself has not erupted from it’s old caldera. Instead, it has ripped a huge gash into the surface of the earth 6 miles long by 3 miles wide, 2.5 miles away! Amazing

modernsurvivalblog.com...

Its very important for the understanding of the context, to include that this eruption was not from
the previous caldera, rather a new area.

With that being said, its safe to say at this point that the 3 mile by 6 mile description was
accurate enough ...and can be further understood now.

I dont recall the reports were definitive as to width...as opposed to height, or that even a part of the
discussion in the thread.

Many people have refused to evacuate despite living below the eruption, which opened a three-mile long fissure along a high-altitude ridge between two volcanic peaks.

That could prove to be fatal, according to Michael Dobbs, a volcano expert at the University of Santiago who said the "eruptive column," more than 6 miles (10 kilometers) high, could collapse, suddenly releasing molten lava, toxic gases and other material measuring 1,300 degrees Fahrenheit (700 degrees Celsius) on communities below. www.ajc.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well Phage, yours was easy enough to find.

There is a big difference between a fissure 25' wide forming in 3 weeks and a rift 5 miles wide forming in a day.

Think about it, it makes no sense. That much earth movement in such a short period of time would create huge earthquakes.

It appears to be an error in translation. I would venture that the Peruvian officials said something like, "The eruption did not occur in Puyehue volcano but in the rift area four kilometers from it." The press; "Whoa! a rift! The eruption caused a huge rift!"

So, it appears that - No _ there was no error in translation.
Whether it made sense at the time to you, it did happen.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I think there may have been a mix up in interpretations somewhere along the line...

Puyehue-Cordón Caulle volcano lies on what's called the Cordón Caulle rift zone.

Which is 6x13km wide.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Here again, it appears that indeed this fissure did open, as they said
originally and the eruption is from a different area than the original caldera.

Many people have refused to evacuate despite living below the eruption, which opened a three-mile long fissure along a high-altitude ridge between two volcanic peaks.

That could prove to be fatal, according to Michael Dobbs, a volcano expert at the University of Santiago who said the "eruptive column," more than 6 miles (10 kilometers) high, could collapse, suddenly releasing molten lava, toxic gases and other material measuring 1,300 degrees Fahrenheit (700 degrees Celsius) on communities below. www.ajc.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Do you understand length and width? 6 x 3 means the rift is 6 miles long and 3 miles wide. The eruption is said to be occuring along a fissure which is 3 miles long. It is not the same thing. A fissure three miles long is not the same thing as a rift 6 miles long by three miles wide.

A fissure three miles long within a rift area of 6 x 3 miles.

That ridge is the Cordón Caulle rift zone.

Historical eruptions originally attributed to Puyehue are now known to be from the Cordón Caulle rift zone, the long snow-covered ridge that extends across the photo to the left of Puyehue.

www.volcano.si.edu...

The claim was that the eruption caused a 6 x 3 mile rift. You have not show anything that supports that claim. You have actually shown that the claim is incorrect. How you turn a "three mile long fissure" into a 6 x 3 mile rift is beyond me.

And by the way, to reiterate the difference between a volcanic fissure and a rift zone:

02/1969
Card 422 (24 February 1969) Fissure eruption begins on 22 February on the upper east rift

Kilauea erupted three miles of fissure in the upper east rift, 1000 HST on 22 February 1969. The swarm of short tremors burst and small earthquakes started at 0627. By 0900 tremors were constant. Earthquakes had diminished and lava appeared about 0950. The first crack extended to the base of Kane Nui O Hamo and produced two flows that rapidly moved south across the chain of crater roads.

www.volcano.si.edu...

A fissure is a crack. A rift is a linear region along which volcanic activity occurs.

edit on 6/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Take up your issues with The Associated Press.

Your obviously wrong, and cant admit it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You seem to be quite selective in what you chose to believe from the MSM.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

You seem to be quite selective in what you chose to believe from the MSM.

Absolutley, you betcha.
And I take that as a compliment, thank you.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you Phage for explaining

Although do you really want to dash the hopes of those waiting for the world to end... ?? Its kinda like placing your nose on a spinning car tire.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

You made me log-in,,
keep up the good fight

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Depends who's driving and if u trust them. duhh

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

You made me log-in,,
keep up the good fight

Thanks Bob. Its hilarious when talk of earthquakes, fissures and rifts equals the end
of the world. I dont subscribe to all of that silly nonsense

Who was talking about the end of the world?
geez we cant even have a little fun talking about
extreme weather anymore with out all of the crabby ole guys.

ETA oh I just cant resist, did you read, they mentioned "column collapse" oh no!

Column collapseEruption columns may become so laden with dense material that they are too heavy to be supported by convection currents. This can suddenly happen if, for example, the rate at which magma is erupted increases to a point where insufficient air is entrained to support it, or if the magma density suddenly increases as denser magma from lower down in a stratified magma chamber is tapped.

If it does happen, then material reaching the bottom of the convective thrust region can no longer be adequately supported by convection and will fall under gravity, forming a pyroclastic flow or surge which can travel down the flanks of a volcano at speeds of over 100 km/h. Column collapse is one of the most common and dangerous volcanic hazards in a plinian eruption.

wikipedia.org/

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Sorry thats just me projecting..... you know how i do that.

Its not like i have any sort of an ability to read peoples intentions. Admiting I have a problem is the first step.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
so after re-reading the thread...there is an existing rift area 6x13 klicks in the area...and this new eruption has opened a rift 6miles by 3 miles and there is a 3 mile long fissure erupting in the 6x3 mile rift...now i got it...
and i know pictures of the actual fissure would be a tad impossible to get...

and they say the world isn't gunna end

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

No worries, I did not recognize you since your missing your avatar.

Yeah, well you wont see me hanging out in the 2012 forum...

I do acknowledge climate change, as it has and will continue to happen.
...and its just my personal opinon its not as predictable as man likes to think.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
so after re-reading the thread...there is an existing rift area 6x13 klicks in the area...and this new eruption has opened a rift 6miles by 3 miles and there is a 3 mile long fissure erupting in the 6x3 mile rift...now i got it...
and i know pictures of the actual fissure would be a tad impossible to get...

and they say the world isn't gunna end

...and Oh I think pictures will be forthcoming, its just going to take a while, as this thing is still
going off. Too much ash in the way.

ETA this might help...or then again, maybe not.

Puyehue-Cordón Caulle volcano in Central Chile is a complex of 2 volcanoes: Puyehue volcano and the fissure system of Cordón Caulle. Puyehue volcano has a 2.4 km wide summit caldera, but historical eruptions occurred at the Cordón Caulle rift zone.

The Cordón Caulle geothermal area occupies a 6 x 13 km wide depression and is the largest active geothermal area in the southern Andes.

Neighboring Calbuco and Puyehue volcanoes lie on the same traverse fault and is has been noted that they tend at the same time or within only few years distance.www.volcanodiscovery.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Oh NO! Great, more to think about now:

Sorry, then you got me looking around now.

Look here see even some scientists are wondering whats going on.

The Utah Geological Survey has launched a study into a 2 1/2-mile-long fissure in Iron County, trying to determine if such cracks in the earth are a growing trend throughout Utah valleys. www.fox13now.com...

This one they implicate ground water mining and lower water tables.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I saw that and dodged it...

With all of the holes opening up worldwide it could be related me thinks.

Can you imagine the spin when an entire city goes down?
edit on 7-6-2011 by antar because: estogo

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It it awesome to watch this stuff unfold.
If only I had a different means of employfun.
Getting paid to travel to these places and watch it,. would be awesome.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join