It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange In Chile's Earthquakes - 6 Mile By 3 Mile Rift Rips In Earths Crust!?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Those charts show winter I am pretty sure, for the majority of the time at least here in the Midwest the winds swoop down from the Northwest like a big trough and then circle down towards the coast and finally sweep back up and hit us from the Southwest.

On any account i sure hope you are right and our lives will be spared if this goes full blown, but what is the difference between this and other large extinction level events? I mean this is a really big fissure right? I do not recall ever hearing about something like this.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by matito

Thanks for your comments.

We all hope for the best, I am sure.

An erupting Chilean volcano sent a towering plume of ash across South America on Monday, forcing thousands from their homes, grounding airline flights in southern Argentina and coating ski resorts with a gritty layer of dust instead of snow.Booming explosions echoed across the Andes as toxic gases belched up from a three-mile-long (five-kilometer long) fissure in the Puyehue-Cordon Caulle volcanic complex – a ridge between two craters just west of the Chilean-Argentine border that began erupting Saturday.

Winds blew a six-mile-high (10-kilometer-high) cloud of ash all the way to the Atlantic Ocean and even into southern Buenos Aires province, hundreds of miles to the northeast. Authorities in Chile went house to house, trying to persuade stragglers near the volcano to leave because of an increasing danger of toxic gas and flash floods.
hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

The Pinatubo eruption was much greater than this. The Mt. Saint Helen's eruption was much greater than this. The Krakatau eruption was much greater than this. This is not a global event.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, hopefully you are well interested in the link I supplied you via PM, even if just for a laugh (I'm not laughing though)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

There has definitely been an increase in the last 50 years.
While I am not up to speed on the theories surrounding the "expanding earth",
I think its significant in that "fissure volcanos" are rare.

Thats what catches my attention with this, well that and the spectacular
displays of nature. Thanks for your comments!

Lightning spectacular! This video is great, thought you cant tell it from its cover.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Which all makes this picture seem even more amazing, the sheer size of this eruption is bigger than any other I have seen one can only imagine how big those other eruptions would have looked. BTW is this still erupting or has it died down.www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Thanks for a very interesting thread! Spectacular pics and vids. Hope people listen to evacuation efforts, sounds like some have been hesitant.

Looks like things are simmering down, with a reminder that this is subject to rapid change:

The eruption at Puyehue-Cordón Caulle appears to be continuing, but with declining force.

Volcanism Blog

Some of the latest reports suggest the activity at the volcano has waned significantly, but with any eruption this size, this could change rapidly. Right now, very little of the plume appears in the satellite images, suggesting the volcano is calmer.

Big Think

Also, the Volcanism Blog is being careful in targeting the exact source of the eruption:

Finally, it’s worth mentioning that the precise location of this eruption within the Puyehue-Cordón Caulle volcanic complex remains unclear from the reports that have been accessible so far. The past history of this chain of volcanoes suggests that almost any part of it is capable of doing almost anything. For the moment Puyehue, which was the initial identification, seems to be the most likely candidate, but we’ll hedge our bets and go on calling it Puyehue-Cordón Caulle.

Volcanism Blog

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by antar

Thats interesting, good question; I dont know the projections on the ash.
I am guessing we could look to NASA for that...I bet they have a zero in on it.

At least we wont be facing this scenario. ETA: I apologize, as you know if I posted pics of
Joplin right now, its comparable, perhaps even worse. Be safe freind!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c95d08459738.jpg[/atsimg]

A road in covered in pumice rock from the volcano.

www.dailymail.co.uk... newsxml
edit on 6-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Wait, free gravel!!!! I am paying $400 for a delivered load and they get it delivered for free and it's already spread for them? WTF?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Unfortunately the scientist is wrong. The reason he is wrong is because the data is cherry picked, either intentionally or by chance. As it happens I had already done these graphs for another thread. Taking the data from 1975 to present, yes there is indeed an increase in counts and energy. More so in energy of course.

I won't make a long song and dance about the figures but just suffice it to say that I have looked at Mag 6.5+ earthquakes from 1930 to 2010 and you can see from this graph of energy and counts that Mr Scientist is actually way off the mark. The most energy was in 1960 - the 9.5 in Chile of course - and the period around then shows much more energy than now BUT.......

This is cyclical and I don't think we have reached the top of the cycle yet.

None of this includes this year, but more of that later when I have sorted out my report.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
needless to say the eruption is very impresive...and if the 'fissure' was 3 miles ect..dont you think that there would be some type of pics of the ground opening and eruption from the 'fissure'...3 miles is sorta of a big crack to open in a day..

like i said, an impressive display but MSM is 'sensationalizing' it with poor reporting and speculation.....sorta sound like a bunch of 'conspiracy nuts'

First, realize this fissure is spewing toxic gas, so flying in above it right now for a photo shoot would
be dangerous, not to mention the ash cloud, how do you suppose they would navigate in that?

Conpiracy nuts can look sane compared to those lacking good common sense.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

As soon as I saw the link to Fox News I just stopped reading. I would believe a homeless man carrying an end is nigh sign before I believe anything perpetuated by Rupert Murdoch and company.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok but it just sounded SOoo huge when it says miles wide fissures or cracks, you know what I mean right? This is good news really because I dont need the added stress right now, lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Did I read at some point that at one time our planet was much smaller and expanded over the years? That would be a serious situation indeed if this is what we are dealing with.

The Expanding Earth Theory!!! By Burntheships...

That would be the scariest story ever, makes me wish for a good indoor stay out of the cold, stay in the AC shortstory contest!

Masqua!!!

*You know I am not making fun just saying I cant even imagine how dramatic that would be for life on earth as we know it...*

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Oh NO! Great, more to think about now:

There are a bunch more on the right side of the Youtube page this is on, looks like I have some study time ahead of me...

This one really brings things into perspective and if you watch where we will be in a million years from now it is hardly likely humanity will survive the transitions, at least not unless we begin to grow into our possible future which would be more like Dr. Kaku suggests in the Type 1-2 society.

edit on 7-6-2011 by antar because: link

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Satellite Images of the fissure volcano continued to erupt on Monday, billowing smoke and ash high into the sky.

The volcano in the Caulle Cordon mountain range began erupting violently on Saturday afternoon.
Lightning in the rising cloud provided a dazzling display.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Originally posted by solargeddon
Sorry if i've missed it, but can someone explain to me what the implications of the rift as detailed in the op, would represent ?

Oh and yes I understand the info has now been understood to be a misconstrunement, regardless, it would be nice to know what the interest surrounding such an event is all about, and would it lead to anything ?

Oh and if anyone can correct my spelling mistakes that would be a bonus

S+F op, great thread
edit on 6-6-2011 by solargeddon because: forgot to praise

Here's the fixed version, since you asked for it:

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but can someone explain to me what the implications are of the rift as detailed in the OP, and what it represents?

Yes, I understand the information has now been understood to be misconstrued a bit, regardless, it would be nice to know what the interest is in such an event, what it is all about, and would it lead to anything?

Oh and if anyone can correct my spelling mistakes that would be a bonus

I just did, not only spelling, but also grammar. I'm a Grammar Nazi. Hehehe.

However, I'm curious too. WTF does a rift mean on the (unpronounceable spanish names) caldera? Why is this being reported if it DOESN'T mean something bad? Can ANYONE explain that? Does it set off a chain reaction or something? New Ice Age? Interesting topic with no repercussions? Why just facts, and no analysis? C'mon folks, give us laymen a chance.

The experts, (err, silver and gold contributors, hehehe) should be laying things out on a scale, say, 1 to 10, and give a brief analysis, and say whether this is worth following or not. That would be SUPER cool. Anyone of you up to it?

Personally, being a layman, I'm ranking this as a 3, saying the atmosphere absorbs any extraneous ash, and life goes on as usual. Definitely not an ELE. A minor burp. Mild concern. Eh?

Thanks for the corrections, although I'm was not on my original post at the begining (your adding words in lol), overall to be fair the grammar wasn't so bad, and yes I now see where I put an "i" at the begining of "I've", that was an oversight, a typo. At least understood was correct, that along with misconstrued, were the only two I was interested in, isn't it funny when words you know how to spell start to look mispelt on occaision (mmmm see occaision doesn't look right to me right now, maybe it isn't ?).

Anway many thanks Grammar Nazi
. Don't know if you noticed "Burntheships" gave an answer to my question a few posts back, seems as though fissure eruptions, can be rare, but mighty devastating

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by solargeddon
Sorry if i've missed it, but can someone explain to me what the implications of the rift as detailed in the op, would represent ?

Oh and yes I understand the info has now been understood to be a misconstrunement, regardless, it would be nice to know what the interest surrounding such an event is all about, and would it lead to anything ?

I am hoping that one of the resident ATS experts can explain further, as we gather information.

It does seem evidenct that there is indeed a fissure volcano eruption currently underway.
One report says 6 miles by 3, and onother reports the fissure at 3 miles by?

I think its safe to say that a this is not your typical "central volcano" eruption,
its looking more like a "fissure volcano" or maybe both.

Fissure eruptions are least common. For example, The Laki fissure eruption of 1783-1784;
managed to kill a quarter of the Icelandic population and led to the deaths of thousands
throughout Europe, due to poisoning and extreme cold.

edit on 6-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Thank you for the reply, I now have a handle on the whole thing now

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
FUC* FUC* FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ...

the other name for Rift Volcanoes is a Flood basalt Volcanoe, try to guess it is one of the main types of volcanoes that can become a SUPER VOLCANOE!

PERMIAN MASS EXTINCTION CAUSED BY FLOOD BASALT/RIFT SUPERVOLCANOE!!!
edit on 12/08/09 by Durabys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Hopefully somebody did post this already. I thought the images of the "volcanic lightning" were pretty amazing

news.yahoo.com...:/110605/481/urn_publicid_ap_org4cab6a52c1d643baa3f97cf4e4ce2114/

You gotta flip through, but there are several more hiding in there

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I managed to find a little more information for you, and everybody.

This will be especially fun, as the beginning of thread people were casting doubt that there
was a rift opening in the first place.

Now that we have overcome the objections of those skeptics...

In contrast to the point-source, centralized eruptions that typify most volcanoes, fissure eruptions are generated at several contemporaneous sites along a linear fracture, or along an en echelon (parallel, but offset) fracture system...

.. Regional fracture systems can appear where the Earth's crust is broken and pulled apart by tensional forces. If these regions are underlain by reservoirs of basaltic magma, this low-viscosity melt will utilize the fractures and ascend through the crust to generate a fissure eruption. For example, Mid-oceanic ridges (divergent plate margins) typically extrude basaltic magma from fissure eruptions because these are areas where global-scale extension is coincident with the rise of partially molten asthenosphere. Because Iceland is the subaerial extension of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, it is one of the world's most active sites for basaltic fissure eruptions. For this reason, fissure eruptions are also known as Icelandic eruptions.

The largest lava flow in recorded history was generated by a fissure eruption in south central Iceland in 1783. Known as the Laki flow, it erupted from a 25-kilometer-long fissure to produce 12 cubic kilometers of lava, filling two deep river valleys and covering an area greater than 500 square kilometers

No "expert" here, however I had already mentioned the Laki Fissure Volcano as an example.

Fissure eruptions are also common on the flanks of many large volcanoes and, therefore, they are not restricted to areas undergoing regional extension. Magma-filled fissures radiating from the summit regions of active volcanoes like Mt. Etna, Mauna Loa, and Kilauea propagate outward from the central vent system. Extrusion from these propagating fissures can produce elongate volcano morphologies, such as those that are typical of many Hawaiian shield volcanoes.

Most of these erupted in historic times. edu.html

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join