It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange In Chile's Earthquakes - 6 Mile By 3 Mile Rift Rips In Earths Crust!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Thanks, and your welcome!
I love nature and all of its beauty, and exciting danger too!

We are living in interesting times, for sure!

This just in from HULIQ news.

The rift formed approximately 2 ½ miles from the peak of Puyehue

There are a chain of four Puyehue-Cordon Caulle volcanos in Chile referred to as the “Ring of Fire.” The last major eruption happened in 1960. After a group of recent earthquakes, authorities put the region around the volcano on alert. The National Emergency Office indicates it recorded 230 tremors an hour.

State emergency office ONEMI reported, “The Cordon Caulle has entered an eruptive process, which an explosion resulting in a 10-kilometre-high gas column.” Local residents were also advised to be cautious about falling ash.

FOX11 reports the rift caused by the eruption is over six miles long and three miles across in the earth's crust. The rift formed approximately 2 ½ from the peak of Puyehue. www.huliq.com...

Still no pictures yet, but this is looking good!

Of course, I hope everyone is safe, and stays safe!

edit on 6-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Thanks for finding the info about the Ethiopian Rift. I totally forgot about that but I do remember talking about it on ATS when we found out about it here.

So I guess I have seen a rift opening occurring during my lifetime. Neat! Can't believe I forgot about it, I think my mind is starting to fail me I am getting way burnt out maybe?

After thinking things over, and reviewing the news articles you posted another time or two, I am starting to think that an actual Rift formed downrange from the volcano.

It says clearly "in the earth's crust", and gives the exact distance from the volcano where it formed. Maybe they didn't mix up words and didn't make a mistake ?? Maybe we just were so surprised by an actual rift formation event in Chile that we struggled to grasp it?

I am starting to think maybe this thing really did happen the way they say it did. My initial assumption of a erupting fissure could still be wrong though.

However, there is a slight chance that there could be an erupting fissure too. I mean who the hell is going to go find out? It could take a week for camera crews to get out there. The roads are probably pretty cluttered and ash covered for the time being. And flying a chopper with that much ash output is extremely dangerous I imagine.

Hmmmm

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Xinhua news from China is reporting the story.

I cannot find mention of the rift formation event, but they do mention various specifics about the eruption and it's affect on nearby Argentina with a few photographs.
Link to Xinhua News

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yes, its looking very real at the time, I agree.

I think we will know more tomorrow, at least in terms of reports.

Pictures may be longer to come, as reports are that its dark there.

Wow, just wow take a look at this recent video, shows more ash falling, and its very dark!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
There is a big difference between a fissure 25' wide forming in 3 weeks and a rift 5 miles wide forming in a day.

Think about it, it makes no sense. That much earth movement in such a short period of time would create huge earthquakes.

It appears to be an error in translation. I would venture that the Peruvian officials said something like, "The eruption did not occur in Puyehue volcano but in the rift area four kilometers from it." The press; "Whoa! a rift! The eruption caused a huge rift!"

Puyehue-Cordón Caulle volcano in Central Chile is a complex of 2 volcanoes: Puyehue volcano and the fissure system of Cordón Caulle. Puyehue volcano has a 2.4 km wide summit caldera, but historical eruptions occurred at the Cordón Caulle rift zone.

The Cordón Caulle geothermal area occupies a 6 x 13 km wide depression and is the largest active geothermal area in the southern Andes.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

edit on 6/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage,

Well I am taking a wait and see approach. What will you think if The AP does not retract the story?

Oh, and if you do decide to contact the AP Press, and let them know your opinions,
you might want to get ahold of this newspaper too as well and set them
straight.

One of the volcanos in the Caulle Cordon of southern Chile erupted violently on Saturday, billowing smoke and ash high into the sky and prompting more than 3,500 people living nearby to evacuate. There were no reports of injuries. Authorities initially said the Puyehue volcano was involved, but late r said the eruption was occurring about 2½ miles (four km) from that peak. A rift more than 10-km-long and 5km across was torn in the earth’s crust, officials said on Saturday night.

Authorities had put the area on alert Saturday after a flurry of earthquakes, and the eruption began. The National Emergency Office said it recorded an average of 230 tremors an hour. www.hindustantimes.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Ok so we can all agree that something seems amiss here, but it's too difficult to really put a finger on it because we simply lack sufficient data to make a accurate assessment of the reports.

I am used to this though, after all we do live on Earth.

Perhaps we will find out within the next 24hours, I would kind of expect some follow up reports to aid us in determining exactly what happened and is currently happening in this region in regards to the eruption and the possible rift formation.

I will keep looking for further information or updates and see if we cannot sort this story out. I admit it has me a bit perplexed and curious.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
I came across this news this evening, first on Modern Survival Blog.
Then checked other news sources to verify the reports. Sure enough this has been reported by
The Associated Press, and Fox News has also picked up this story.

Reports are that a volcanic rift has opened in the Earths crust; 6 miles long, 3 miles wide.

First, this from the Survival Blog.

The thing is, for some unknown reason, as of this writing, eight earthquakes near magnitude 5 have shook the earth near the Puyehue volcano. The problem is, the earthquakes are located 20 to 40 miles away from the eruption! Very Strange Indeed.

There’s something brewing quite a distance from the eruption, but is quite obviously directly related. We’re talking about enormous energies here.

In addition, apparently the volcano itself has not erupted from it’s old caldera. Instead, it has ripped a huge gash into the surface of the earth 6 miles long by 3 miles wide, 2.5 miles away! Amazing

modernsurvivalblog.com...

I think they were talking about the size of the ash cloud being six miles high and three miles wide. Somehow the press made a hash of it. Listen to this report at 16seconds.

edit on 6-6-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Okay, here's my train of thought:

If a new fissure can split wide open and spew lava out of nowhere (like it did in Hawaii in March this year)... maybe it's possible that a new fissure can break open and over the course of a few days or week (which is when this volcano actually started up), then maybe that's enough time for a "rift" to appear gaping without producing a vast amount of energy ripping through the crust as it's doing so ?

Come to think of it:
The swarm of quakes in Argentina could have been telling us that this is what's been going on under the see-able surface for a while now. So this may have well been working it's way up to the surface for even longer than that.

A fissure is a crack and a rift is an actual plate spreading open, correct ?

P.S. - if I'm off my rocker, I have no problem with someone telling me so

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This could stretch into Ethiopia and Somalia and literately wipe Dijibouti and Eritiea right off the map in a century or two if this keeps up.

The Chilean incident could eventually expand and literately rip Chile right from South America and could stretch as far north as Bolivia.
edit on 6-6-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

OK, you beat me to it!

By the way I understand that they are setting up three cameras to monitor this but I have yet to find out where they are.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The AP blew it, as the MSM usually does when it comes to anything having to do with science (geology being a science of course).

Um, I am afraid that the correct explanation is much less scary than a fissure 6 miles long and 3 miles wide. OMG, plenty of doom there.

When all is said an done, as I commented on VW the people that matter do not seem to be getting too wound up about it ans are taking sensible and proper precautions.

By the way that messed up link is to Eruptions! which is probably one of your best sources of correct information as Erik Klemetti "an assistant professor of geosciences at Denison University who spends most of his professional time thinking about magma."

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

This could stretch into Ethiopia and Somalia and literately wipe Dijibouti and Eritiea right off the map in a century or two if this keeps up.

Interesting. And which version of the world atlas did you glean the information that Chile was just below Somalia for it to do that? Last time I heard Somalia, Eritrea etc were in Africa and Chile was on the other side of the world on the West coast of South America. Maybe continental drift moved it a bit.

The Chilean incident could eventually expand and literately rip Chile right from South America and could stretch as far north as Bolivia.

Which is adjacent to Chile on the North Eastern border. Did you mean Peru, north of Chile? Perhaps it will work it's way up through Nicaragua and Mexico and rip California off, and like with Somalia do a quick leap across the States and open the New Madrid and split America in half, sinking New Jersey along the way.

A slightly overactive imagination i think.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Chadwickus is right.

Phew...Calderas scare me.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Trouble is, some people accept as absolute truth whatever they read in the media and if someone who actually knows about the subject dares point out that, yet again, the media got it wrong then he gets shouted down as a disinfo agent

Still, there's been some impressive photos from the eruption. And at least this time it wasn't preceded by a 9.5Mag quake!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Some FANTASTIC pictures on here of the Volcano, lightning and ashcloud
>>>> www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

some people accept as absolute truth whatever they read in the media

Hi Essan, yes indeed but the PTB would be up the Swanee without a paddle if they did not. Looking at the images pointed at by Plumbduff on the Good Ole Daily Mail the venting looks very similar to Eyjafjallajokull, but perhaps on a larger scale - but not much larger. Eyja was a VEI 4. It will be interesting to see how this one goes on.

reply to post by Plumbduff

Thanks for pointing to those.

edit on 6/6/2011 by PuterMan because: 'Cos I am a grumpy old git and make spelling errors, OK?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Interesting. And which version of the world atlas did you glean the information that Chile was just below Somalia for it to do that? Last time I heard Somalia, Eritrea etc were in Africa and Chile was on the other side of the world on the West coast of South America. Maybe continental drift moved it a bit.
--- Someone had mentioned the split that occured in Eritiea. and had looked at a map and this is the most logical expansion of that rift!

Which is adjacent to Chile on the North Eastern border. Did you mean Peru, north of Chile? Perhaps it will work it's way up through Nicaragua and Mexico and rip California off, and like with Somalia do a quick leap across the States and open the New Madrid and split America in half, sinking New Jersey along the way.
--Chile, Bolivia and Peru all share a common border so this is where this came from which would be a logical step if this rift expands northwards. Eventually it is said that Hudson and Bergen Counties, New Jersey will break off from the state and when it occurs it will stretch as far north as Lake Erie effectively connecting the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers with Lake Erie but this will take a hundred thousand years or so.

A slightly overactive imagination i think.

Not an overactive imagination but based in logic, reality and common sense and answered in quote.
edit on 6-6-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I was searching for pictures to contribute, but alas even my exceptional skills are lacking for this. All the photos I find are either very far away or are of ash clouds, perhaps when this dies down we'll be able to see the rift itself.
Nasa's Aqua Satellite caught the photo linked, but I have no idea how to resize it.. again more ash clouds really.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Here you go I cropped it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d0e3f8fbd90.png[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join