It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah man cited for paying disputed bill with 2,500 pennies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by richierich931

Originally posted by fooks

nice and rolled and with a smile, should have been the transaction.

That would have defeated the purpose of his gesture if they were already counted and he was polite. So he should have strewn the pennies about with a smile then?

I'm guessing he was probably (duh) trying to show his discontent, not just wanting to get rid of some pennies...

nice and rolled with smile would have started with bent over and ready to go...

True enough. But a zip-loc bag and no smile would have served his purposes.
And it would have done it without the pennies ending up all over the place.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
What the crap!
I work in the banking industry, pennies are money! If someone comes to my window with 20000 or whatever in rolled pennies, I have to take it... it is legal tender! This truly is stupid!

Money is money... on a side note, there was girl in the county several years ago named Penny, her parents saved pennies for her and when she got old enough she saved them herself until she had saved 1 million pennies! They then brought the pennies by wheelbarrow to the local car lot and she bought a car with said pennies... nobody friggin' called 911 on her!

If he had rolled them I don't think there would have been a problem. Med centers have pretty strong rules about not creating a disturbance. Even raising your voice at a clinic worker is enough to get the police called.

As for the penny car lady, I don't think I would have bothered selling her a car. In the time it would take me to count and roll 1 million pennies I could have lost a few car sales making my commission less than it would have been if she hadn't showed up.
edit on 6-6-2011 by Chindogu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
These stories crack me up. Maybe he was wrong for throwing the bag of pennies all over the place, but sometimes the little guy can only take so much. Better he did that then something he would have regretted later.

This reminds me of a story of a farmer who loaded up his manure spreader went into town and let it loose on the door steps of the municipal building.
I guess he was tired of all the political BS.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
A decent lawyer will get this man off because he has not broken the law.

This is brilliant because we have been deliberately moved away from using cash and moved onto using plastic. Not using cash by the public has made banking so much more profitable for the thieving bankers their job is easier and more profitable when its done by plastic. Think of the number of staff that have been cut who use to physically handle cash, lower insurance premiums needed as less cash in the vaults.

Our using cash gives up our only independance from both the banking system and also the government. If either of these jokers invalidate your plastic for any reason, you are fkd, but if you have cash you are not. - I am not going into the mugging because many laptops or phones are higher value than the average amount of cash people would normally carry.

This is the one thing we can insist on and which gives us independance, it would also force the banks to open more branches and provide a lot more jobs , if on-line banking comes in, can you imagine how cheap bankers overheads would become and how many more jobs would be lost.

This is legal and something that the public could do to actually help their country's jobless.

Well done Sir for giving the public back some power and a simple but hopefully effective much needed idea.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
You're being missled by the media again. It's not because he paid with pennies...

"Campbell says the incident upset staff because pennies were strewn about the counter and floor, and West's action served "no legitimate purpose.""

He was an ass and slammed pennies on the counter, tossed them on the floor and demanded they count them.

The media has a way of leading you to see the wrong side of reports for their own purpose.. They know their catchy title will make you read them with sympathy for the old guy when it was just him really being a jerk.

Thank you for explaining to everyone WHY this guy got fined. I worked a cash register in high school. If some jackass walked in and dumped pennies all over the place and told me to count them I'd expect the same outcome...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Look, the guy knew what he was doing. He was protesting. If you protest you have to accept the consequences. His actions were provocative.

As far as legal tender is concerned I do not know what is legal tender in the states. A coin in itself is not necessarily legal tender. Legal tender is an amount used to settle a debt. Here in the UK only 20p in bronze coinage is legal tender, silver coinage less than 10p is legal tender up to £5 and coins above 10p legal tender up to a total of £10. Anyone can legally refuse amounts that exceed these legal tender amounts.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The guy got what he deserved. There is a time and place to settle disputes. Dumping pennies on the counter at a medical facility were people are waiting to be treated is not the place. That isn't the manner in which to do it either. I can't understand why anyone with would defend this guys actions as this little demonstration proved nothing and now the guy has to save up a lot more pennies for the fine. He acts like the person behind the desk is responsible for whatever his problem is. Just because he is butt hurt doesn't mean he has to ruin other peoples day. Serioulsy pennies? What, he never left Jr. High? To bad people can't growup anymore.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I applaud this dude for doing something like this, I find it pretty funny. Just think about that, some guy comes in and dumps 2500 pennies on the ground and says "OK I'm here to pay my bill, I'll wait here while you count it".

That is good stuff. The people working at that hospital are such babies, "
Oh no we need to call the police, some man just dumped a bunch of money on the ground and we have to count it! Arrest this man and throw him in jail with rapists and murderers because he paid his bill, in acceptable US currency."

Sure he was rude about it and probably made a huge scene dumping all those pennies on the ground, but calling the cops over that just shows how weak and pathetic people are becoming.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Sure he was rude about it and probably made a huge scene dumping all those pennies on the ground, but calling the cops over that just shows how weak and pathetic people are becoming.

Right... or the waiting room was packed as usual and they were trying to get everyone the medical attention they should have been getting instead of dealing with some idiot that wanted them to count pennies instead of helping people get medical attention. This guy shows exactly the mentality that solves nothing and causes more problems than it solves. He cared less for the people waiting and the people trying to do their jobs. Blatent disregard for everyone but himself. Yeah, stand up and cheer... We need more patriots like that.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jaydeePNW

I had no idea that people pay their medical bills in the same room that people who are near the brink of death are waiting in to see a doctor, thanks for clearing that up for me.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I had no idea that people pay their medical bills in the same room that people who are near the brink of death are waiting in to see a doctor, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Who says brink of death? Every clinic I been you pay in the same place you register. I don't care if it is a paper cut you don't act tlike that and hold up other peoples business. It doesn't help your cause and it makes you look more stupid than before. So explain to me in great detail why this guy should be patted on the back again? Do the people of the USA not look stupid enough as it is for your taste? Is he some hero now?

His whole little charade failed to begin with simply because the place does not have to accept pennies as a payment to begin with. So what would be the point? Shows his lack of intelligence that probably put him in the situation to start with.
Legality of using Pennies

I just don't get why idiots of America are someone to look up to these days... Then again the Jackass series sold well.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yay Utah! My home state...

This story illustrates the madness of modern economy and politics. For the obvious reasons already pointed out, but also, check it: the price of the actual metal making up a penny today is worth more than a penny itself. Yet at the same time, its illegal to melt a penny down into its metal. Yet at the same time, it seems like the government doesn't want pennies.

So let me get this straight: We have a government creating a penny with lower face value than it is actually worth. So you think rationally they'd want to collect as many pennies as possible and maybe melt them themselves. In fact, maybe its time to take pennies out of circulation anyway. But that issue aside, we got pennies worth more than a penny...but the government won't take them, making them actually worth less than a penny?

That's all kinds of messed up.

edit on 6-6-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Yeah I guess you're right, I just liked the idea of him sticking it to the man like that.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If I went down to camcast to pay my cable bill as an example, and it was $60, I can't just walk in with 60 $1 bills and throw them on the counter and floor and tell them to count it. There shouldn't be a problem with paying with change, or pennies, as long as you aren't an ass**** about it. This guy does deserve the $140 ticket or whatever the fine may be.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
Yay Utah! My home state...

This story illustrates the madness of modern economy and politics. For the obvious reasons already pointed out, but also, check it: the price of the actual metal making up a penny today is worth more than a penny itself. Yet at the same time, its illegal to melt a penny down into its metal. Yet at the same time, it seems like the government doesn't want pennies.

So let me get this straight: We have a government creating a penny with lower face value than it is actually worth. So you think rationally they'd want to collect as many pennies as possible and maybe melt them themselves. In fact, maybe its time to take pennies out of circulation anyway. But that issue aside, we got pennies worth more than a penny...but the government won't take them, making them actually worth less than a penny?

That's all kinds of messed up.

edit on 6-6-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

What are you talking about? What does this have to do with the government wanting pennies? And which part of government, and where?

What no one wants is 2500 pennies thrown on the counter and floor in their place of business. How about I come dump 2500 pennies on your desk at work, and when you say what the hell, I accuse you and the government of not wanting pennies to melt.
Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Yeah I guess you're right, I just liked the idea of him sticking it to the man like that.

I understand your thoughts on that for sure. I even joked with my coworkers in the past about doing the samething. However you are no better than the man if you do stuff like that. In fact the man just stuck him with a even larger bill. Jokes on him.

If I was to do it I would have mailed it in. Put the pennies in a large jar with the bill and ship it USPS. Probably cost $25 in shipping but it would be interesting to see how they handled it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
People really need to read this part:

West dumped 2,500 pennies on the counter and demanded that staff count them.

Campbell says the incident upset staff because pennies were strewn about the counter and floor...

What people need to stop overlooking is not what it was paid in, but how. You don't just dump your change on the counter to the point where pennies are rolling on the ground. It's getting irritating how the mindset on ATS has become "it's always the government/big pharma's fault" when there are actually times (albeit rare) that the person in question is the stupid one.

Oh okay, now these people are special and, unlike the rest of the business world who simply deals with disgruntled customers in a calm and professional manner, and... gasp... APOLOGIZE, they get to have them hassled and charged, and STILL demand money. That's a real cool deal.

Excuses.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
In the UK there are limits to what is actual Legal Tendor. Although few actually know. Shops are usually happy to accept coins as they need them.

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
i can picture this guy thinking:

"14,000 penny fine? challenge accepted"

this is stupid by the way. i'd like to know what the $25 charge was for, but knowing hospitals, they charge alot of money for very stupid things.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
money is either cash or coin

its not like theres not any bank that can go roll it

hell at any walmart or grocery store there are coin machines that take them.

the dude acted like an ass and paid the price

now instead of crying over $25 now he has to pay fees and fines for acting like an ass.

not too businesss savy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join