It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Werewolves, Lycanthropes, Shape-Shifters…. Therianthropy? Oh my!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
i find it oddly ironic, that as i sift thru the info in this post, i cant help but notice, the teen wolf advertising for the new mtv show behind the thread, LOL

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracist21

Yeah... you're not the first to have noticed. The topic stands on its own I would hope.

I thought I would mention it because sometimes these shows expose pieces of old folklore that you don't usually hear about....

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This hollywood concept of werewolf is very wrong , firstly because real werewolves doesnt really look like wolves , they look more like a Bear-man sort of creature ,yes they behave like wild animals, this is a wellknown seasonal genetic anomally.
There are pictures of it? Yes there are... There are real videos of it ? Yes there are .... certainly not in youtube....
Does the government knows about this ? Yes they do... Can I find any real werewolf picture or video on the internet ?? No you cant ..... Only if a werewolf gives you ... Or maybe a CIA.. So good luck with that..

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I must admit... I'm shocked to see "sponsored by MTV" on this site. I thought it was above that. How do you expect people to view these threads with any kind of seriousness when you make them look like blatant viral marketing?

As much as I hate to admit it my respect for this site just went down a couple of notches.

I sincerely hope it's not a new trend because if it is, I definitely won't be coming here as often as I do...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by oaf21

This comment is not about you in particular, but a general observation I thought you might appreciate:

I am surprised that some members seem put-off or sort of offended about the apparent tie-in with the launching of a new MTV series, and all the marketing stuff that goes along with it. The reason I am surprised is because, vain though it may sound, I was sort of pleased with the material I presented, and I thought the research and effort was well-spent.

But that effort, and the content of the OP is overshadowed by some by irrelevancies like posturing over media events and what not. It is sort of disappointing.

But that's enough off-topic nonsense for now....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found an interesting collation of werewolf legends from Germany which I think many might find a good addition to the material presented thus far. Werewolf Legends from Germany

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Interesting topic. The Japanese also believe in lycanthropes, females which are actually foxes which seduce and destroy males.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Wow.

This is incredible. Nice work!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Bah!!
I came for the crazy, instead I got knowledge!

*shakes fist at the sky*
Damn you, education!
DAMN YOU!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have a question about Lycanthropes feeding on humans, is that just for food, or is there another meaning? Is there a sexual connection like there is believed to be when a vampire feeds?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sakurahg
I have a question about Lycanthropes feeding on humans, is that just for food, or is there another meaning? Is there a sexual connection like there is believed to be when a vampire feeds?

Now this is an interesting question.

The first thing worth mentioning is that the popular explosive interest in Freudian psychology back in Victorian times lead to associating sexual overtones with everything. So depending on who you ask, they will likely be either of the Freudian school of thought, (which seems permanently fixated on phallic identity) or Jungian, which - for the life of me, I can only roughly describe as less 'physical' and more 'spiritual' of an approach to analysis of human behavior.

I can't speak for either school of thought, as I am not trained in such things, but I suspect that lycanthropy, is not similar to vampirism in the same manner in regards to sexual thrill.

The perceived sexual connection in vampire stories seems to follow a certain logic, there's contact from which the vampire derives the resolution of all their instinctual desire; the ultimate consumption.

Lycanthropy would appear to be more of a surrender to the primal nature of animal urges; which even supersedes sex, primarily focuses on survival and the freedom to hunt for sustenance.

Also remember that vampires are undead, lycanthropes are not undead. Lycanthropes - as far as the mythology is concerned, are human and have a human soul - usually overcome by the animal struggle to be free and unmolested. Vampires are soulless shells with an intellect driven to consume blood to remain animate.

Many fantasy and fiction writer's use their vast imaginations and creative license to reforge what each of these mythical prototypes represents; creating a considerable amount of misunderstandings between people discussing the same thing, each with different assumptions behind them.

As with most creatures subject to the glamour of romanticized literature, anything with super human speed, strength, endurance, longevity, and mysterious powers is 'sexy.' So many have crafted their most appealing description to suit their ideals, or their audience.

But the archetypal lycanthrope act wasn't about the vampiric "embrace" of death - sensual or otherwise; it was more like a Cuisinart of death. No romance, no subtlety, just explosive violence for the singular purpose of killing the prey; then eating it if necessary, and escaping any threats.

It's almost as if lycanthropes don't "think" - they feel and they act.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

If a lycanthrope feeds on someone, but not to kill what kind of effects can that cause. I know it can cause personality changes, but i meant in long term, if you've heard of it.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sakurahg
reply to post by Maxmars

If a lycanthrope feeds on someone, but not to kill what kind of effects can that cause. I know it can cause personality changes, but i meant in long term, if you've heard of it.

Well, first off, we need to be sure we are discussing the same thing.

Clinical lycanthropy is a delusion, and as a mental disease, it means that whatever they do is not by any means 'rational' so whatever reason someone suffering this delusion hurts (or even eats) another the bottom line is they are sick. (Assuming the diagnosis from professionals is there.)

If we are to believe that werewolves are real, there were several reasons a person might kill while in wolf form. But werewolves did not limit themselves to eating people, they ate whatever they could kill. If you think of a werewolf as a feral wolf, instead of a person, you get more of an idea what the killing eating behavior is all about.

Hollywood and other artistic industries have all made different psychologies apply to werewolves, but I think it's safe to say (mythologically speaking) that werewolves don't 'set out' to make new werewolves they way vampires supposedly create minions.

Lycanthropy is not seen as a gift. It is a curse. So is vampirism, except in Hollywood, where the producers can make anything into a hero.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

How can the changes occur? Or the disease be transmitted, if you view it as a disease. Could it be a blood to blood contact, or just a slavia to blood?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sakurahg

Psychologists and psychiatrists consider lycanthropy a mental illness, not something 'physically wrong.' So it really can't be transmitted at all.

If - and that is a big "if" - we pretend that we believe that werewolves are real in our world, we have to admit to ourselves that unless we are bitten, whatever is transmitted between werewolf and prey, can't be transmitted. At least that what the theory is.

You're very curious about this, you might find some very good stuff all over the internet and at your local library....

Not that I mind talking about it. But I am no 'expert' in the field. I have plenty to learn; if you find any good info, don't forget to share it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join