It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Werewolves, Lycanthropes, Shape-Shifters…. Therianthropy? Oh my!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm glad you mentioned that new MTV show, at first glance I thought it was a funny coincidence that finally a good cryptozoology thread appears the same day that this show premieres....

I am a firm believer that all myths must have some factual root. It doesnt renege the fact that human beings have a tendency to exaggerate and embellish on fact based accounts.

Many so called "scientists" laugh at the notion of there being some sub-species, or mythical race of beings out there going un-noticed in this day and age.

However, this appears to me to be nothing more than arrogance. Can we be so certain that we know everything about this place we call our home? After all, there are plenty of species that are much older than our own. And lets keep in mind, when scientists venture to lesser traveled places on the globe, new species are often discovered, is it so far fetched to imagine a mix between a man and a wolf?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I remember a few years ago doing some research on vampires in legends. You can actually find it going way, way, waay back...although they're not called by those names and some have different characteristics but I've seen some going as far as back in Ancient India and Ancient Egypt!

Great thread! I wonder where "werewolves" this actually originated? Who started it...or is there some kind of element of truth within it or was it just meant to be a scary scary story? Who knows.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The witness who voluntarily took and passed a polygraph test claimed to have seen 3 of these creatures in broad daylight which somewhat conflicts with the typical shapeshifter myth/lore.

The fact that she was proven to been honest in her accounts of witnessing 3 of these creatures indicates that they weren't simply a spontaneous genre under the full moon but a living and social animal in that 3 were witnessed drinking water from a stream as any other mammal would ?

The hunting guide witnessed one of these creatures jump a 12 foot ditch on it's hind legs ?
That is no bear or a human in a suit....humans cannot jump that far....especially with a 50 lb suit on.

This is apparently beyond historic werewolf mythology.

These witnesses are seeing something. Something at we cannot explain.

Apparently the Govt. captured one in 1992 but tagged it and sent it up to the upper peninsula of Michigan.
That's another story on another day...

edit on 6-6-2011 by nh_ee because: typos

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It is fantastic, but not impossible.

Remember Ceolocanths? (that is soo not spelled right) They were Pre cambrian fish fossils, fish that supposedly died out 35 million years ago, until a fisherman caught a very much alive one off the coast of Korea.

When science says there is no way, it's probably true.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
What about the Egyptian God Anubis ?

My hypothesis is that these are creatures from another world who came to earth long ago.
They were of superior knowledge than ancient Man and were looked upon as Gods because of it.

What we are witnessing here on earth today possibly are the remnants of their species who have survived by avoiding Man by living in remote and secluded pockets of the world.

Otherwise Man primarily due to fear, would want to exterminate this species instead of cohabitation with them.

Look at what happened to the Native American people... they being non white people who were tricked into "Treaties" to take their land. This land was key to their survival and when they rebelled against these fraudulent agreements, they were gunned down and/or displaced into "Indian Reservations".

If we can exterminate our own fellow man,due to mere "racial" differences ? it is very apparent to me as to why these creatures wouldn't be willing to reveal themselves to us for fear of being exterminated themselves.

They most likely witnessed what transpired with the Native Americans....and determined that out of sight and out of mind was the solution to their survival.

edit on 6-6-2011 by nh_ee because: typos

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Found it to be an interesting read. Don't have anything to add but figured i would give it a bump..

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

My hypothesis is that these are creatures from another world who came to earth long ago. They were of superior knowledge than ancient Man and were looked upon as Gods because of it.

Or maybe they are the mix of "angels" with men, as is told in may cultures...

Or simply branches of evolution we, homo sapiens sapiens, have exterminated, or pushed to the brink of extinction, giving them the best reasons in the world to avoid men. They could vaguely remember us as dangerous as we remember them in our collective consciousness.
No one remembers who started the killings, but the bad blood is still felt today.

Just look at HOW MANY different humanoid species science has unearthed overtime...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Looks to me like he tried a little to hard to make all the pictures all pretty with frames. Begging to be recognized. Ego trip. There is no need for all that. Just pass the info on...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Absolutely. For what is an Angel ? From a scientific perspective ???

Was it merely an extraterrestrial whom had the ability to levitate ?
And hence why they are portrayed to have had wings ???

How was Jesus conceived from a Virgin Mary ?

We now know that it is scientifically possible via artificial insemination.But in the Biblical times we weren't that scientifically advanced to understand it.

I am certain that there is much for us to learn about who we are and from which we came.

From what I understand is that we as humans came here from other planets when other home planets Suns were cooling off.

The Hopi Indians speak of this in that they claim that they came to the Blue Planet as in Earth after having lived previously on the Red Planet (Mars) .

I see alot of this Cryptozoological phenomenon as being remnants of other past civilizations who migrated here to earth from other planets as many of us as in Asians,Blacks and White Humanoids did.

Read the Thiaoouba Prophecy....lots of interesting insight as far as from where we came....

www.lanuovaumanita.net...

www.4shared.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Great video on the beast of bray hill , but I can 100% guarantee that the Michigan dog man story and videos were made by a local radio person for a Halloween story that just got out of hand.however , the reason that it caught on so fast here is that many other people independently have reported seeing such a creature in this area , so who knows. Any way , nothing else creeps me out quite as bad as the dogman/ wear-wolf stories that I have heard .

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

If you go hiking in remote areas consider leaving a critter camera in a likely spot to get a record of unusual creatures to share with your fellow ATS readers. The least expensive popular models are under $200.00,
that may seem like a lot but imagine the fun of posting a picture of a wolfman.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

I recognize the Dineh, and have a great deal of respect for their collected wisdom. I think the truth is however, that they have a distinctly deep fear of those they call 'skinwalkers'. It is my understanding that they are considered truly evil, so much so, that the topic is more or less shunned by those who follow the culture closely.

And no, this thread isn't 'about' the MTV show. I am always hopeful though that when writers collaborate on such work, often they incorporate folklore into the story that I never heard before.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

I agree. It is significant that all these different groups of primitive people 'happened' to fear and tell stories about the same phenomenon. Unlike other urban legends this one has been around since before there was an 'urban' place.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barnaclause
Looks to me like he tried a little to hard to make all the pictures all pretty with frames. Begging to be recognized. Ego trip. There is no need for all that. Just pass the info on...

I made an effort to improve my presentation - I confess. Tell you what, you don't need to feed my ego. Just ignore it. It's the material I wanted to discuss. As for the technique (which I admit is not all that,) we can discuss that in another venue.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Could this be a drawing or what not of dreams people have had? I know I personally have had dreams I was a werewolf and woken up in a dead sweat. Could it be possible that as people dream about their animals etc or wild life they have dreams of being these animals and this is an early form of writing them down?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Yeah, I don't pay much regard to that film either. It apparently was a person in hunting camo garb.
Also as to why I didn't mention or embed any videos pertaining to that film.
Everyone is pretty much aware that that was hoaxed.

But I do acknowledge the Wisconsin witness testimony, especially the one in which a few witnesses volunteered to a polygraph test.

There are countless others in Wisconsin. As I'd said, dating back to the original German settlers arriving in covered wagons.

As I'd said, as a teen I used to go to Wisconsin for summer camp (great motocross riding !!) and where I first heard of the the Wisconsin Werewolf. Also called the Dogman in the neighboring UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan which borders on Wisconsin.

Beautiful country by the way and if you ever visit. It's very remote and you can really see how something could live there in complete secrecy.

All this talk of Wisconsin makes me want a grilled Usinger Bratwurst and a cold Leinenkugel Beer !!!!
Werewolves or not, I do miss the food of Wisconsin !

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I've always been fascinated by werewolves. Even at the tender age of 4 or 5, I was allowed to watch reruns of "Kolchak The Nightstalker." One of the most memorable episodes was about a werewolf on a cruise-ship. And then came the BEST werewolf movie --IMHO: "The Howling." The sequels were terrible, but "The Howling" captured werewolves like never before. They looked REAL. They were menacing. And the scene where the guy changes right there in front of the lady was absolutely TERRIFYING. But, of course, all of this was just dark fantasy. Werewolves existed in the imagination only... right?

A few years ago, I heard Linda Godfrey on the radio show Coast to Coast AM. She was a werewolf researcher/investigator. What!? She was talking about her latest book, "Hunting the American Werewolf," and also referenced her first book, "The Beast of Bray Road." Her latest book, "The Michigan Dog-man" is now available. Back to point: I was astonished to learn that in the American midwest (mainly), there had been so many sightings. Apparently, Bigfoot has company in the form of man-wolves and/or dog-men.

I found it eye-opening that so many people had been scared witless in the midwest (and elsewhere) by these werewolves. The sheer number of sightings and reports proves that *something* is going on. Some think that the werewolves are real because the sightings usually happen near a source of fresh water, --alluding to the fact that sure, they would need water to sustain themselves. Another theory is that our country is dotted with caves and cavern systems ---more than most people think, and that the entrances to these systems are in remote areas where few venture, and that cryptozoological creatures like Bigfoot, werewolves, lizardmen and what-have-you, take advantage of these secret caverns to hide and cross vast underground distances.

Another theory involves the thought that we have no physical evidence of these creatures because they are not merely flesh-and-blood beings, that they are part phantom or mystical entity comprised of focused energies from rampant id fantasies. Such a creature can be "manifested" and/or "thought" into existence by someone's highly passionate and focused imagination; such a creature is called a TULPA. In fact, I had just read an article on this by Nick Redfern just before coming here to ATS and seeing this thread. How timely. Here's a link to that article:

www.mania.com...

Very wonderful post. S&F. And yes, I believe you can flag and star a thread without commenting, though that usually isn't my style. Stars and flags merely attest to someone liking the material.

edit on 6-6-2011 by GhostLancer because: Werewolf typo

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Ya'a'teh Shiage!
(hello brother!)

'Skinwalkers' are not exactly werewolves, in the Dineh tradition. From all accounts, they look like men, but act like supernatural predators, fast and dangerous. More like a vampire, in that they feast on human blood. And, according to the elders, wear brand new Wranglers. You can't make this stuff up.

But shape shifting is part of their tradition, one that they still hold sacred. Depending upon your animal totem, you too could become a wolf. Or a Crow, or a turtle. You get the idea.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Very good post S&F but I've got to say it...that teen wolf show that comes on tonight or yesterday cant remember but it was freaking stupid. It had a good story line to it but the makeup of the wolf on that kid was just straight up retarded I could make a better lookin wolf than that and they get paid to do this stuff

BTW you can watch it on their website free I watched it lastnight before it even aired
edit on 6-6-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Yeah, but hes not a shapeshifter hes stuck like that

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join