It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Saint Bono' the anti-poverty campaigner facing huge Glastonbury protest – for avoiding tax

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

'Saint Bono' the anti-poverty campaigner facing huge Glastonbury protest – for avoiding tax

www.dailymail.co.uk

He is the rock legend dubbed 'Saint Bono' for his long-running campaign against global poverty.

But when Bono's band U2 perform at Glastonbury later this month, protesters are planning to accuse them of avoiding taxes which could have helped exactly the sort of people the singer cares about so dearly.

The protest has been provoked by U2's decision to move their multi-million-pound music and publishing business away from Ireland – thus allegedly avoiding taxes on record sales.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Looks like even "Saint Bono" isn't shy about tax avoidance while declaring how much he cares about the poor. Where do people like this think all of this support is supposed to come from? Is he in the same class of thought as the Kennedys where OPM (Other Peoples' Money) is a lot better suited for these causes? He cares so much so he doesn't have to pay like all the other lower class taxpayers do?

www.dailymail.co.uk
edit on 6/5/11 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Nah, he's just a smart business man.

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

If the government is so great at helping poor people why aren't people donating money to them instead of charities? Oh thats right, the government is a crappy charity organization that would be rated a good solid F- as a charity organization. Now if it can also be shown that Bono isn't giving any money to charity, then we'd know he is a real imposter.

People who purposely avoid taxes are doing the right thing, and are on the moral high ground. Governments do evil things across the world... not just the US feds. Giving your money to the UK government is also supporting a band of criminals.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I've heard this same sentiment many times here at ATS.

Bono's choice

But, there has always been risk in his position. Bono has accumulated personal worth of hundreds of millions (chose your currency, I think the answer is the same in dollars, euros or sterling). And many (perhaps most) people still think wealth comes with responsibility, especially when the owner asks for that responsibility from others.

But, it seems from the responses so far in this thread, Bono holds no responsibility. Why is that?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Minimizing Taxes

Murphy points to the band's decision to move its music publishing company to the Netherlands from Ireland in June 2006 in order to minimize taxes. The move came six months before Ireland ended an exemption on musicians' royalty income, which is generally untaxed in the Netherlands.
``This is somebody who's exceptionally rich taking the opportunity to shift his tax burden to somebody else, but then asking governments around the world to spend that tax take in the way that he would like,'' Murphy says.

Bono, Who Preaches Charity, Profits From Buyouts, Tax Breaks

Bono's anti-poverty foundation ONE is under pressure to explain its finances after it was revealed that only a small percentage of money it raises reaches the needy.

The non-profit organisation set up by the U2 frontman received almost £9.6million in donations in 2008 but handed out only £118,000 to good causes (1.2 per cent).

The figures published by the New York Post also show that £5.1million went towards paying salaries.

Bono's ONE foundation under fire for giving little over 1% of funds to charity

Ultra rich elitist.

Edit to add: Star and Flag

edit on 5-6-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

So let me ask you, Ferris: What would you do if you were faced with an enormous tax debt from a corrupt government? How do you feel about taxes here in the U.S? Are you okay with the tax dollars you personally pay to the U.S. government? Are you happy with the way your tax dollars are spent? Are you content with the U.S. federal social services programs for the poor and the way funds are administered to those programs? Just wondering.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Looks like even "Saint Bono" isn't shy about tax avoidance while declaring how much he cares about the poor. Where do people like this think all of this support is supposed to come from? Is he in the same class of thought as the Kennedys where OPM (Other Peoples' Money) is a lot better suited for these causes? He cares so much so he doesn't have to pay like all the other lower class taxpayers do?

www.dailymail.co.uk
edit on 6/5/11 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: (no reason given)

The idea that taxation should be equated with charity is nonsensical. Prior to the passage of the so called "Personal Income Tax" few in America did equate taxation with charity. Not that no one did, and there is a story about Davy Crockett when he was a Representative in the House that illustrates that even prior to 1913 politicians were inclined to use taxation as a method of charity. It is a story worth reading.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Thank you for that fine document!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heck,you could start a thread just on it alone!!!!!

No, Colonel, Congress has no right to give charity. Individual members may give as much of their own money as they please, but they have no right to touch a dollar of the public money for that purpose.................

PRICELESS

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Daily Mail?

Isn't that owned by Uncle Rupert?

Such a sensationalist headline.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
U2 played two shows here in Auckland and stayed on a private island,only flying in with the helicopter for soundcheck and concerts.
He and his wife got shot by Annie Leibovitz for the Louis Vuitton bag campaign;ironically the ad reminds one of some sort of Tania Blixen Africa!
Above all his music is getting worse with every new record(I once liked it,but we all are not 15 any longer).
He's an uneducated peasant who walks in shoes that are clearly too big for him.
John Lennon he ain.t!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

How come my anti-this idea thread got no stars? Man, I make enemies when I don't mean to.

CJ

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
A man who books a first class seat for his hat and flies it thousands of miles (because he forgot to bring it with him) whilst preaching to the masses about looking after the planet and giving money to help the poor is just a hypocrite! and when I think of the economic disaster that Ireland is currently facing the least he could do is pay his dues just like all the plebes who bought his (increasingly crappy) music and made him the multimillionaire that he is!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I just want to say that when I first heard of U2 in the 80's I said to all my friend that "Bono is the antichrist"

I still believe this - I have no proof - just a feeling

and for this reason I have avoided everything Bono ever since, including most of the posts in this thread

♥u's!!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

The scales are falling from many eyes...are they not? Those who have been propped up, as our 'betters' are being exposed...one hypocrisy at a time.

AlGore (with his multimansions, fleet of SUVs, private jet--but you 'little people--shiver or swelter in your homes; at bus stops; carry your over priced groceries in cotton washable sacks; oh...and pay to watch my Academy Award winning movie and donate to Democratic politicians)...was the first...but there have been others.

Remember when Rosie O'Donnell ranted against guns; the NRA and Tom Selleck...but wait--she had armed body guards.

And then tax cheat Tim "I have an Ivy League education, I am the smartest man on the planet on the US economy, but I can't figure out TurboTax" Geitner NOT paying taxes til he was forced too...so that he could take a position to tax US all even more...

My favorite irony of the last week had to be the ditsy, two million dollar Obama FDA 'pie chart' dinner plate thingy...that 'shows us all' how to eat (is eating really all that hard?). Then Obama is shown scarfing down two chili dogs; fries and cola...but that's okay...he is BETTER than the rest of us.

Do as I say, not as I do...or due...and enjoy that crappy 'balanced' meal; in the glare of a curly light bulb; in a non airconditioned kitchen; while U2 drones on as background music...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I am certainly no fan of U2 anyone who calls themselves "bono" and "the edge" is far to pretentious for my liking. But when we have institutions like the UN making people like "bono" and members of the Spice Girls ambassadors, we actually put these people on a pedestal and give them a position in global society they dont deserve. They are entertainers nothing more.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I see your point, but it's not the ordinary man in the street who decides who becomes a UN ambassador (whatever that means!) and I think that these "awards" for want of a better word are to make the sheeple think that these (normally) useless individuals actually have something to offer!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

too frikin bad.

i would like to make a ca-gillion bucks, who the hell are you to say what i can do with it

or who i should give it to? what i heard from him, he is petitioning govs for relief, not you.

this guy doesn't even know what songs he sings, lol!

i would kinda guess U-2 has some pretty good legal going on, specially since they are a "high value" target.

dumb people.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Should award medals to anyone who flings a bottle of pish at the awful git.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hey Bono, since you make/have a bazillion dollars, why not end poverty yourself and build some homes for those same people?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join