It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter trapped, do you want to know more.........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
THIS IS IT:

Physicists Store Antimatter Atoms for 1,000 Seconds -- And Still Counting

The ALPHA Collaboration, an international team of scientists working at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland, has created and stored a total of 309 antihydrogen atoms, some for up to 1,000 seconds (almost 17 minutes), with an indication of much longer storage time as well.

LINK

Now we need a storage device, a way to guide the atoms and a way to let
the crash into ordinary atoms...Then, its a done deal....

Unlimited power.
Spacetravel.
You name it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yeah, unlimited power.

Like nuclear power only more powerful.

Well I'm just saying, all that came with nuclear power wasn't good. Atomic bombs and power plant disasters. If history repeats itself, some government will turn these good intentions into a better bomb and things will get blown up with this new technology, and it's power plants will have even worse, irreversible disasters. It's just the trend.

Just saying.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Already posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And 309 atoms is, almost literally, nothing.

Your spaceships are a long way off.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Sa-weet!

Can't wait until it's weaponised.
That's not sarcasm either. Nuclear weapons are NOT 'mass' destructive, I mean even if we used the most powerful hydrogen bombs we've got, it would take literally thousands of them to destroy a single country. Over 2000 nuclear bombs have been detonated in the U.S. alone, and is it destroyed? No.
We need a weapon that can actually DESTROY a country in a single detonation, only then can a country truely claim to be a 'super' power.

Anti-matter, what a godsend.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

Anti matter wont ever be used for large scale energy or propolsion systems.
because anti matter dost exsist in nature we have to sink large amounts of energy into making it in the first place..
and the amount we can make for the energy put in negates any use outside the lab

There is no possibility to use antimatter as energy ‘source’. Unlike solar energy, coal or oil, antimatter does not occur in nature; we first have to make every single antiparticle, and we have to invest (much) more energy than we get back during annihilation.

You can imagine antimatter as a storage medium for energy, much like you store electricity in rechargeable batteries. The process of charging the battery is reversible with relatively small loss. Still, it takes more energy to charge the battery than you get back.

The inefficiency of antimatter production is enormous: you get only a tenth of a billion (10-10) of the invested energy back. If we could assemble all the antimatter we've ever made at CERN and annihilate it with matter, we would have enough energy to light a single electric light bulb for a few minutes.

public.web.cern.ch...
(i know your being a bit satirical in your post, just pointing out it wont happen)
edit on 5-6-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

Weaponinzed antimatter isnt going to happen before we get off this rock and find some out in space
(unlikely by the way)

No. It would take billions of years to produce enough antimatter for a bomb having the same destructiveness as ‘typical’ hydrogen bombs, of which there exist more than ten thousand already.

Sociological note: scientists realized that the atom bomb was a real possibility many years before one was actually built and exploded, and then the public was totally surprised and amazed. On the other hand, the public somehow anticipates the antimatter bomb, but we have known for a long time that it cannot be realized in practice.

public.web.cern.ch...
by the time we made enough to use it in a bomb, there would be nothing worth fighting for..
we may as well just let the sun expand and destroy the earth, it would be quicker then making enough anti matter to make a bomb.

edit on 5-6-2011 by sprocket2cog because: typos

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

Now we need a storage device, a way to guide the atoms and a way to let
the crash into ordinary atoms...Then, its a done deal....

Unlimited power.
Spacetravel.
You name it.

idealisticly this sounds nice and the implications would be large and great if this came to be.

the only issue i have with it, is before anything of what you say comes, they will try to apply it to military purposes, and probably succeed.
as all technology and breakthroughs are. first for the military, next to big business and then finally us.

this can go in many good ways, but i can see far more bad applications this will take.

let's hope not

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Gutted.
Oh well, we'll think of something.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'm sure many were skeptical about creating enough refined uranium or plutonium to construct a feasable bomb. Right now we are witnessing the creation of Anti-Matter. It took exactly 70 years to get where we are today in computing power. It only took two years to create the atomic bomb, and it was theorized long before it was created.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that we could refine the art of making antimatter in 70-100 years, and create it en masse much more efficiently than in this infancy of understanding. To think otherwise is to spit in the face of the entirety of human evolution and ingenuity.

It's pretty laughable actually that people toss aside the idea so quickly.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I am giving you a star just because you did the whole Starship Troopers thing. That caught my eye and made me read the link, and that is a clever marketing ploy.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by manontrial
Sa-weet!

Can't wait until it's weaponised.
That's not sarcasm either. Nuclear weapons are NOT 'mass' destructive, I mean even if we used the most powerful hydrogen bombs we've got, it would take literally thousands of them to destroy a single country. Over 2000 nuclear bombs have been detonated in the U.S. alone, and is it destroyed? No.
We need a weapon that can actually DESTROY a country in a single detonation, only then can a country truely claim to be a 'super' power.

Anti-matter, what a godsend.

I wonder if you would still be saying that if your country was the one on the receiving end of the anti-matter warhead!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
I'm sure many were skeptical about creating enough refined uranium or plutonium to construct a feasable bomb. Right now we are witnessing the creation of Anti-Matter. It took exactly 70 years to get where we are today in computing power. It only took two years to create the atomic bomb, and it was theorized long before it was created.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that we could refine the art of making antimatter in 70-100 years, and create it en masse much more efficiently than in this infancy of understanding. To think otherwise is to spit in the face of the entirety of human evolution and ingenuity.

It's pretty laughable actually that people toss aside the idea so quickly.

It took a tremendous amount of power to create 309 antihydrogen atoms.

Do you have any concept of how insignificant 309 atoms is ?

Like I said in the other thread, 5 TRILLION hydrogen atoms will fit on the head of a pin.

It would take far more power than is generated on the entire planet to create enough
antihydrogen atoms to cover the head of a pin.

If they find a natural source of antimatter then it's use may be feasible, but the current
methods of creating it result in amounts that are only scientific curiosities.

Science will have to learn new principles of physics to be able to create antimatter in
large quantities and given the incredible resistance to new ideas in the scientific
community it is rather doubtful that, even if discovered, any new principles of physics
would be accepted anytime in the near future.

For the foreseeable future antimatter will remain the stuff of short lived experiments
and science fiction stories.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
16 minutes and 40 secs is a long time to sustain, but I am curious to what made it fizzle out? Seems as if they figured a way to trap antimatter, wonder what was wrong with method of containment?
I had read this article before I had gotten here on the forums, was curious to see how many times someone had threaded it...
...LOL "A few!!"
With it's fragile state of entrapment, wonder how far the rabbit hole can physically go? Once it is bombarded it seems to mutate to another form of released energy, which means there is more they are probably aren't telling us the whole story.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
16 minutes and 40 secs is a long time to sustain, but I am curious to what made it fizzle out? Seems as if they figured a way to trap antimatter, wonder what was wrong with method of containment?
I had read this article before I had gotten here on the forums, was curious to see how many times someone had threaded it...
...LOL "A few!!"
With it's fragile state of entrapment, wonder how far the rabbit hole can physically go? Once it is bombarded it seems to mutate to another form of released energy, which means there is more they are probably aren't telling us the whole story.

Exactly! Wonder why they couldnt contain it for longer and how and why it escaped the method of entrapment. Maybe the energy they were putting into it to sustain that antimatter was only strong enough for 6minutes? and they would need unfeasible unreal amounts of energy to sustain it for longer.
edit on 6-6-2011 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Thanks...
And yes i know it was posted before..

And to the one who belives it wont be practical, Not now no...
Eventually YES....

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Another question I have been wondering about is "Does Antimatter have an energy application, or is it just a particle of consequence from the big bang?" I mean, will there be practical instituted uses for the discovery and research for these particles of space, or will it be just an adventure to discovering that there is truly no use for it?
I know scientists and physicists are searching for the Higgs particle (God Seed) but when push comes too shove, is there a true application for such a particle in our reality that would prove to be useful and acceptable?
I am currently in discussion, well, actually lurking in the back round and learning, of the 10 D Universe and String theory aspects of our dimensional Universe. Quite fascinating, but the over all decisive discovery would only prove our dimensional Universe is much more complicated that earlier perception.
The scientists that are discussing this as we type and post are the epitome of intellectual prowess, but I have yet to venture the question of "Why?" to the over all scheme of things. I am a "Cause and Effect" type of fellow, and it is always going to be the means of the outcome, I guess.
Just thought I would throw that out there for consideration of others feeling the same way.

new topics

top topics

join