It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Website help!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Ok I need to know does anyone have any clue how to program a web location finder. I have included three examples of what I am looking for. I am trying to get something together for a local business.

Thanks in Advance

www.nextel.com...
target.com...
www.staples-locator.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Google for PHP scripts, _javascripts or CSS scripts :

Try these one :

www.hotscripts.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I dont know how to actually PROGRAM it...but I do know how you can do it. Have the Enter form _javascript take the ZipCode given and enter it into a url like "http://www.websitename.com/ZIPCODE/location.html" and itll enter the Zip Code into that space and redirect to the page for that Zip Code. I dunno if that helps at all. You could canabalize the Nextel page and get the needed Javascripts and just enter them into your site.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
I dont know how to actually PROGRAM it...but I do know how you can do it. Have the Enter form _javascript take the ZipCode given and enter it into a url like "http://www.websitename.com/ZIPCODE/location.html" and itll enter the Zip Code into that space and redirect to the page for that Zip Code. I dunno if that helps at all. You could canabalize the Nextel page and get the needed Javascripts and just enter them into your site.

That's a good idea also... You can take the code you need on another website and just turn from the source code all lines looking like (c)The locator-Coporation to (c)My (stolen) locator...

I'm kiddin'

Notice that this soopafast "programming" technic will work only if the webmaster of the source locator site is a moron and let his ressources opened to everybody on the web. If not, you will get an "ERROR 403, forbidden ressources", when you will search for the ZIPCODE sources.

[Edited on 6-8-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Thanks for the links and the advice I appreciate it and may need more before I am finished with this project.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I would know how to program it... But it's a little complex to explain over here.

The above comment on adding the ZipCode input, to the URL - is a bit troublesom.
It means having to make a page by hand for every ZipCode, there wouldn't be much error checking - so, what if a user inputs an invalid ZipCode?

Also, it would be a security risk (if no error checking was in place).

A better solution would be to create a database (can even be 'flat file' database), and then match up the users input with the database entries - and display it respectly. This way you only need to create one 'location results page' - as the database queries will dynamically create the output.

Feel free to U2U me if you need any help during your project. And good luck

[Edited on 6-8-2004 by MetalHead]

top topics

join