It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The oldies that aren't goodies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Terrible music has always existed but the way some people talk you'd think the spice girls invented it. So let's even out the scales a bit with the songs, styles and bands that are terrible. Lets say pre-1990?

Oh just pour some soda syrup on it. Sickly sweet airheaded nonsense you'd think war was all puppies and rainbows. Don't get me started on that constant piano shuffle. What a talented and creative pianist the guy must be to switch octaves like that.

More like love letters to the most boring guy ever.

Nuff said.

Ugh Cheese personified.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

It's great that you can post your OPINION in a forum like this. I'm wondering what your reasoning behind this being BAD music. You really didn't give any reason, other than, You don't like it. Not sure why you would post something like this other than you wanted to earn a couple of stars and flags from others who can't open their mind to more than one type of music. Good luck with your closed mindedness.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

fed

Oh dude, did you stir my venom.

The Andrew Sisters were SSSoooo good. Sure, the medium was pablum. This was a comedy movie with Abbott and Costello. And you are right about this miss-advertising war. Back in those days, as now, Hollywood came out in force to promote patriotism and the most stars jumped right along. War propaganda, pure and simple.

But the music? If you can bear it, listen more. Those gals are tight, and I mean musically. Their timing is superb and the lyrics are all accountable. And when the one lead gal, Maxine, if I remember correctly, does that corny country voice followed by the quick little trombone bit, man that was just too much.

Pat Boone? Yea I agree. That guy had connections and his squeaky clean image was just what the white fathers of the country wanted when rock and roll was first coming up. R+B and early rock were heavily influenced by non-white musicians. Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly, etc. And the kids of the era were starting to move into cultural rebellion by listening and dancing to this stuff. And let me tell you, these old guys were freaking out with their young teenage daughters wanting to hang up pictures of their black rock and roll heros in their bed rooms. That's why guys like Pat Boone were shuffled to the top of play lists covering other peoples music.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
lots of videos posted here with nothing but one or two words backing most of them up, you still dont tell us why you believe they are oldies that are not goodies as u say so we'll be waiting for some reasons why.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

This music may be trash to you,
you just made me a very happy mama.
I am going to add these videos to my
collection,thank-you very much!

One last thing...ooga,chaka,ooga,ooga,ooga,chaka
I'm hooked on these videos and I just keep on loving them!
edit on 6-6-2011 by mamabeth because: added more

edit on 6-6-2011 by mamabeth because: spelling

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Pretty funny. I just watched that Abbott & Costello movie the other day on TCM. And was thinking about how great music was back then when the Andrews Sisters came on.
To each his own, I guess. Personally I'd take any of the above examples over much of what I hear coming out of the radio speakers tday, unless I hit an oldies station.

Talking Heads, Supertramp, Pink Floyd and yes the Big Bands stuff from the 40's is all good to me.

Lady Gaga? Not so much. My daughter loves her. Go figure.

I'm also not a fan of the Bee Gees or the Eagles to name a couple. So, bad music? I don't know. For me, it's either music I like, or music I don't. The best for me, evokes some memory, some positive association.

Harry Nilsson
This one reminds me of high school-

extra DIV

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Personally I'd take any of the above examples over much of what I hear coming out of the radio speakers tday, unless I hit an oldies station.

well said. oldies are goodies extra DIV

new topics

top topics

active topics

join