It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

On being an "eccentric" Christian fundamentalist

page: 3
4
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32
 


I actually have a lot of evidence of religion hurting people. Everything from black-collar crime (yep, clerical crime has a name now), suppression of sex education, suppression of free speech, suppression of religious rights, genital mutilation, psychological torture, immoral teachings, downright counter-factual teachings, attempts to desecularize nations...I can keep going if you need me to. I can also provide citation for just Christianity with this one. If I dip into the well of all the other world religions, I can come up with twice as much.

I did grow up thinking that religion was a really great thing for the world. I even maintained that idea in my earlier years as an atheist. Of course, I didn't deconvert because of an emotional experience, I did it because of an examination of evidence. And I didn't change my opinion on the dangers of religion based on an emotional experience, I did so because I got into discussions about it and I could not support the idea in the face of evidence, no matter how much I tried to produce.




posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Everything from black-collar crime (yep, clerical crime has a name now),

Congratulations, did you make it up yourself? (BTW, clerical collars are white, but you probably knew that... )


Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
, genital mutilation,

What an imagination you have, to blame that one on Christianity! How do you make that out, exactly?


Originally posted by madnessinmysoul Of course, I didn't deconvert because of an emotional experience,

I am sorry, but given the way you communicate now, that's unlikelier than a woman president in the USA within my lifetime! You've had great trouble keeping your various stories straight, because the first time I ever came across you, it was in a thread where you claimed you'd "de-converted" because you were in a Catholic country, and couldn't get a divorce. For some reason connected with pride you would neither leave the (unspecified) country, or get a secular divorce. When I called you on that, it was suddenly "who, me? I'm not married!" Well done by the way on making me look stupid with that, but I am sure others will also remember that you were the one who told the story in the first place, not me...
Last night, I discovered you're an ESOL teacher, and therefore not resident or born in that Catholic country, thereby making your sob story even more absurd and bizarre.
Ayn Rand instructed her followers to lie in the interests of promoting the libertarian cult. Various other cult leaders have done the same (the Moonies etc), but this is the first I knew it applied to the atheist cult!



posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Christianity is based on lies.

Jmmanuel, (Jesus, as Christianity knows him) and now currently known as Sananda, is not the Son of God. He is the Son of Joseph and the son of Gabriel (The Angel) who is a distant descendant of Rasiel, Guardian angel of the secret.

God, and The creation are not the same thing. They ARE one and the same, as are we, but not the exact same thing. God is a perfect human being, with spiritual perfection, the Creation is exactly that, The creator.

Judas did not betray Jmmanuel, Juda Iharioth did.

Read all about it in this journal fourwinds10.com...

Christianity, as with ALL religions, are cult religions. The Holy Bible has been manipulated and changed and reworded by so many people AND the vatican SO many times that you cannot honestly say the words within are original.

You only need to know the truth within yourself.

I know this is opening a big can of worms, but I feel this gives a different perspective and people should have a chance to decide for themselves.
edit on 16-6-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Everything from black-collar crime (yep, clerical crime has a name now),

Congratulations, did you make it up yourself? (BTW, clerical collars are white, but you probably knew that... )


Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
, genital mutilation,

What an imagination you have, to blame that one on Christianity! How do you make that out, exactly?


Originally posted by madnessinmysoul Of course, I didn't deconvert because of an emotional experience,

I am sorry, but given the way you communicate now, that's unlikelier than a woman president in the USA within my lifetime! You've had great trouble keeping your various stories straight, because the first time I ever came across you, it was in a thread where you claimed you'd "de-converted" because you were in a Catholic country, and couldn't get a divorce. For some reason connected with pride you would neither leave the (unspecified) country, or get a secular divorce. When I called you on that, it was suddenly "who, me? I'm not married!" Well done by the way on making me look stupid with that, but I am sure others will also remember that you were the one who told the story in the first place, not me...
Last night, I discovered you're an ESOL teacher, and therefore not resident or born in that Catholic country, thereby making your sob story even more absurd and bizarre.
Ayn Rand instructed her followers to lie in the interests of promoting the libertarian cult. Various other cult leaders have done the same (the Moonies etc), but this is the first I knew it applied to the atheist cult!


Those of us bothering to read and relate to the actual content of posts, instead of reshaping them so they suit our purposes, have fairly accurate ideas of Madness' whereabouts and background.

I also believe, that you confuse anarchy with liberal principles.
edit on 17-6-2011 by bogomil because: syntax



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32
 



Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Everything from black-collar crime (yep, clerical crime has a name now),

Congratulations, did you make it up yourself? (BTW, clerical collars are white, but you probably knew that... )


Nope, I wish I had. Technically, it's a white/black collar, but there's already white collar crime.




Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
, genital mutilation,

What an imagination you have, to blame that one on Christianity! How do you make that out, exactly?


I said religion, not Christianity. And the USA practices genital mutilation partially based on Judaic traditions that Christians don't mind.


Originally posted by madnessinmysoul Of course, I didn't deconvert because of an emotional experience,

I am sorry, but given the way you communicate now, that's unlikelier than a woman president in the USA within my lifetime!


Wooooo bigotry! I'm sorry, but saying that my communication style has anything to do with my reasons for deconverting is beyond idiotic. I deconverted for my own reasons. If you want to project your emotional attachments to religion on to me, go ahead.



You've had great trouble keeping your various stories straight, because the first time I ever came across you, it was in a thread where you claimed you'd "de-converted" because you were in a Catholic country, and couldn't get a divorce.


Wow, that's just dishonest. I never claimed that was the reason I deconverted. In fact, if you read that thread properly (Christians and their hypocrisy) it's about how Christians who call out Muslims for not condemning Islamic terrorists have no business saying that unless they condemn various Christians who do bad things, like the Catholic church suppressing the movement towards divorce.

I have been quite straight on my deconversion since I joined ATS, it happened while I was about 16. I'm not married, I don't have any vested interest in divorce personally. And, furthermore, I deconverted before moving back to a Catholic country.



For some reason connected with pride you would neither leave the (unspecified) country, or get a secular divorce.


...wow, you must not have read that thread. Problems with your version of events:

1: I never claimed to be married (and I've yet to even be engaged, let alone married), so it's sort of hard to get a divorce.
2: I never claimed I could leave the country. It has nothing to do with pride, I merely don't have the financial means at the moment.
3: There is no secular divorce in Malta, that was the whole point of the thread.

Go back and read the thread and show me that I'm lying.



When I called you on that, it was suddenly "who, me? I'm not married!" Well done by the way on making me look stupid with that, but I am sure others will also remember that you were the one who told the story in the first place, not me...


Alright, I'm going to quote the whole OP of the thread you're referring to:

"I've been meaning to make this thread for...well, ages now. Actually, I've been meaning to make it since I started posting regularly again.

Why am I saying that typical Christians are hypocrites? Well, how many times have you heard this phrase: "Why don't Muslims go out of their way to condemn terrorists?"

I'd have to ask in return, specifically to Catholics, Why aren't you condemning the acts of Christians in my society?

Not aware of where I live? Not aware of what Christians (specifically the Roman Catholic Church) are trying to do here? Read up.

For those of you not bothering to visit that link due to time constraints, it's simple: we don't have legal divorce, yet people have been campaigning to have access to this very basic legal procedure for ages. Now that it's coming to a head, Catholics in Malta are doing everything that they can to combat the right of other people to get a divorce.

So, why aren't you going around condemning these actions?
"
Link. I suggest you go to the link because there are links within the quoted text that I didn't bother to copy.

Nowhere do I claim to be married, nowhere do I claim to have been married, nowhere do I claim that secular divorce is possible (because it isn't...even though we did pass the divorce referendum), nowhere did I claim my deconversion had anything to do with it.



Last night, I discovered you're an ESOL teacher, and therefore not resident or born in that Catholic country, thereby making your sob story even more absurd and bizarre.


Now you're just getting into beyond insane territory of personal attacks.

Let me get my story straight for your sake, because it's always been straight.
1: I'm 22, I'm a Maltese born individual with dual citizenship with America, where I grew up after my family moved there when I was 2.
2: I returned to Malta to get a degree in Archaeology...but I decided upon communications to get into film, this was when I was 18.
3: I'm a TEFL teacher in Malta, which isn't an uncommon thing for a person my age to do, typically in the summer. In fact, the vast majority of our TEFL teachers are Maltese because English is one of our two national languages.
4: It wasn't a fornicating sob story.

If you can provide contrary evidence to any of that, go ahead. If not, apologize for your ridiculous personal attacks.



Ayn Rand instructed her followers to lie in the interests of promoting the libertarian cult. Various other cult leaders have done the same (the Moonies etc), but this is the first I knew it applied to the atheist cult!


Well, considering that the only person lying is you...and considering that atheism is far from a cult...no.

If atheism is a cult, then theism is a cult. So is the idea of a heaven, the idea of a hell, the idea of a soul, the idea of sin, etc.

Atheism is one thing, not believing in a deity. Kind of hard to built a cult around one thing. It's hard enough to build organizations around it.

But anyway, please retract your libelous lies. (Does it count as libel? Technically it's not print but it is text-based...)



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
I said religion, not Christianity. And the USA practices genital mutilation partially based on Judaic traditions that Christians don't mind.

No, you did mention Christianity, I specifically checked... As for the USA practising circumcision, you're right to point out that it's Judaic not Christian. American stresses the Judeo part of Judeo Christian, I have noticed.


Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Let me get my story straight for your sake, because it's always been straight.
1: I'm 22, I'm a Maltese born individual with dual citizenship with America, where I grew up after my family moved there when I was 2.
2: I returned to Malta to get a degree in Archaeology...but I decided upon communications to get into film, this was when I was 18.
3: I'm a TEFL teacher in Malta, which isn't an uncommon thing for a person my age to do, typically in the summer. In fact, the vast majority of our TEFL teachers are Maltese because English is one of our two national languages.
4: It wasn't a fornicating sob story.

If you can provide contrary evidence to any of that, go ahead. If not, apologize for your ridiculous personal attacks.

You're only 22, so barely adult! That explains rather a lot...for instance, the depth and breadth of your anger. My 24 year old son is the same, but that's partly explained by the fact that he's a cardiology nurse and works shifts, which plays havoc with even the most peaceful personality...
With you, not so much.
One thing that really "grinds my gears", is that you people refuse to distinguish between lies and mistakes. I am not going to follow your link to that thread, I am going to trust you to be honest. And if you say you never claimed to be married and so personally affected, then I will accept your word, and withdraw what I said. I was mistaken not lying. I genuinely believed you had claimed to be married, and then retracted that claim when it suited you...
(It may amuse you to know that I dated a Maltese medical student here in New Zealand once, decades ago, and he now has a podiatry practice near my home.)
Vicky



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32
 


I'm sorry, I took your reading comprehension skills for granted (fellow English teacher and all) and I apologize for accusing you of lying rather than being mistaken. My bad as they say.

I also apologize for making it seem like the genital mutilation was related to just Christianity. I must have not written that whole post in one sitting (probably grabbed a snack or let out the dog) and didn't review my work before continuing. I really was referring to desecularization of countries, which is why I said:

'I can also provide citation for just Christianity with this one."

Bad writing. I was implying Malta's own issues with attempted theocracy, particularly from the campaigning related to the now-successful referendum on the introduction of divorce.

Also, I'm not really angry. Passionate? Sure. But I'm Mediterranean, I'm passionate about cooking, let alone things that really matter to me.



posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
the bible is a literal account of alien psychological abuse imposed on humans.
God in the old testament really tends to over react
and smite people alot.
The new testament is a spin job on 'psycho dad'
with Jesus as the patsy.
edit on 11-7-2011 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
4
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join