It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

There's not much good news when it comes to this devastating virus. But that is perhaps why the story of the man scientists call the "Berlin patient" is so remarkable and has generated so much excitement among the HIV advocacy community.

Source

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think this is amazing. I have a friend at a university in Cleveland who works with HIV in animals. I personally know nobody who has HIV or AIDS, but I still feel that the disease is extremely vital for us to defeat. I, personally, would rather see a 100% success rate cure for HIV (and AIDS eventually) before a cure for cancer. It would mean so much for the continent of Africa. Anyway, this is a huge step, and even if it's only a fluke, I feel good for this guy.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

I read about this a while ago and I was amazed. He got a bone marrow transplant from a resistant donor and the virus vanished from his body. This really is an amazing and scary time. We're beginning to see the fruits of years of research and reaching a level of complete mastery over our environment. At the same time we're reaching the limits of what current social structures are capable of sustaining. I wonder what the next ten years will bring.

join