It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOG sized RATS (pics) Eat Two Children in S.A. Did I mention they are the size of DOGS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is so absolutley disgusting it is unfathomable what happend to these kids...This is the largest rat species and it is native to South Africa. But come on. Please tell me that regardless of your stance on animals, these things needs to get eradicated. WoW.

Hey, I didn't know we had foxes down here - HOLY SH*T!!!

Ahh, just maybe look at the pic, then run...

Horrible people live like this...

CJ
edit on 5-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
news.sky.com... u-Species/Article/201008315696471?lpos=Strange_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15696471_Rat%3A_Giant_Rodent_Shot_Dead_On_Bradford_Estate%3A_Creatur e_Could_Be_Descendent_Of_Coypu_Species

Similar story happened in Britain!

The culled super rat measured 30in (2.5ft) - making it as big as a bulldog - and twice the size of a normal rat. Experts believe it could be a descendent of the coypu species, a large South American rodent not seen in Britain for two decades.

edit on 5-6-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

On a more serious note, this is a horribly sad story. Don't know what to do about it though.
edit on 5-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

That's a REALLY big rat.....

No offence intended, it's a terrible story and my heart goes out to the families involved but in all honesty the same thing happened to young kids here in the London a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I want one! I would walk that beast on a leash, and train it not to eat children.

Very sad though.
edit on 5-6-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
This is so absolutley disgusting it is unfathomable what happend to these kids...This is the largest rat species and it is native to South Africa. But come on. Please tell me that regardless of your stance on animals, these things needs to get eradicated. WoW.

Hey, I didn't know we had foxes down here - HOLY SH*T!!!

Ahh, just maybe look at the pic, then run...

Horrible people live like this...

CJ

Sheesh how sad.
I'm not surprised about the size of the rats. I saw a episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman and he was with a tribe in Africa that was hunting a HUGE porcupine...with a stick :/
Nope this does not surprise me or shock me but it does make me a little sick and sad.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
That's about the size of a cat.

I've seen bigger in Michoacan, Mexico.

Not to say I wasn't freaked when I saw the beast crawl out of a gutter and scamper across the alleyway.

Makes sense. Lots of food, no predators (besides scolding hot cooking oil from diners) makes perfect sense they would be able to reach those sizes.

Thought dingos were bad, eh?

edit on 5-6-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Since I moved to a 3rd world country I can tell you nothing grosses you out more or pisses you off quite as much as waking up to a rat or mouse nibbling your toes or fingers. The last time this happened I threw the little bastard into the ceiling, needless to say he was unaffected by my outburst. lol

I have no idea what I would do if one of these monsters got me, it would take off my freaking finger!
edit on 5-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Here is a link to a thread from not too long ago that discusses another rats eat baby story.

A fast search indicates that rat attacks are not all that uncommon.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
But come on. Please tell me that regardless of your stance on animals, these things needs to get eradicated.

In what way do you mean ''eradicated'' ? Are you talking about as a species, or just in the areas where they caused these attacks ?

If it's the former, then I'd say ''no''. Far more children are killed or maimed by a variety of breeds of pet dog every year, yet it's never been under serious consideration to exterminate all the members of the more volatile breeds.
Not to mention all the other animals that can be deadly to young children, such as foxes, bears, wasps etc.

They should certainly take measures to eradicate them in the areas in and around where the attacks have taken place. That would seem like a necessary precaution to prevent any more deaths or injuries.

I believe that animals should only be intentionally harmed in an ''us or them'' situation, either as a response to an attack, or as a pre-emptive measure to thwart the risk of death or serious illness.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
They can make up to 50 young a year! Not good at all!
These super rats sound like capybaras to me! (I KNOW they're not.. I'm just saying)
You need to find a way to rat-proof your house against them...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NiceKid007

Rat proof with a few large snakes and some frisky fissipeds, and let the party begin!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Wow, that is one big rat ! I agree it is sad that a child lost her life to one, but I have to disagree that the rats should be killed. It never ceases to amaze me at how humans feel they are justified in deciding what needs to die and what doesn't. This is the food chain of life. It goes on.
It is difficult for me to believe that the parents of one child didn't hear the child scream. I am positive that any living being that is eaten by another, does ( if it has the ability to do so) cry out. The second child that was killed, that is a sadder story, since the child's mother was a teenager who wasn't even home to protect her child.
That's my 2 cents

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Child neglect for sure.
Kids will scream like bloody murder for milk.

In any case I'd pee myself if I saw something that huge. It's the size of a small terrier.
And probably hurt you too.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
news.sky.com... u-Species/Article/201008315696471?lpos=Strange_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15696471_Rat%3A_Giant_Rodent_Shot_Dead_On_Bradford_Estate%3A_Creatur e_Could_Be_Descendent_Of_Coypu_Species

Similar story happened in Britain!

The culled super rat measured 30in (2.5ft) - making it as big as a bulldog - and twice the size of a normal rat. Experts believe it could be a descendent of the coypu species, a large South American rodent not seen in Britain for two decades.

edit on 5-6-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

Good God. That is horrifying. Same type too...

CJ

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon

On a more serious note, this is a horribly sad story. Don't know what to do about it though.
edit on 5-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

This movie could be used in about a thousand threads around here...thanks for a little humor in an otherwise really sad story...they DO exist! Yikes!

CJ

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0

I want one! I would walk that beast on a leash, and train it not to eat children.

Very sad though.
edit on 5-6-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

Apparently, you aren't the only one:

A Tanzanian social enterprise founded by two Belgians called APOPO, trains Gambian pouched rats to detect land mines and tuberculosis with their highly developed sense of smell. The trained pouched rats are called HeroRATS.

SMART HERO RATS

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Ya rats will eat anything, but fortunately so would humans if they had to. I say eat them, everything tastes like chicken anyways, catch some of them suckers and see what they taste like.

They need some predators in the area to get there population in check, don't they have any big cats to take care of the big rats? I mean its Africa right. Though having lions around would not be good, but a medium sized cat like a lynx would take care of the giant rat problem. But lynx aren't native to that area so they would have to import them.

Or how about this a pet hyena would do the trick of keeping the giant rats away and there population in check.

A couple of those around the house and no giant rats would get in or come near the house to eat any baby's, or chew on peoples toes while there sleeping.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Back in 1991, some friends and I traveled from Camp Lejuene NC to Washington DC for a weekend. We stayed at the Days Inn that is pretty much downtown DC. We checked into our rooms and were going to see some of the night-time in the city. We stepped out of the front doors of the hotel and too our amazement, a rat the size of a cocker spaniel was off to our side about 30ft. being young jarheads, we decided to chase it, the rat ran a few feet down the street and turned down an alley. As we rounded the corner of that alley about 20ft down in the faint light cast by street lights, this huge rat was standing on it's hind legs...growling at us. Needless to say, we left it alone. Large rats are not to be taken lightly, I think if we had approached it in the defensive stance it had taken, more than one of us would have gone to the emergency room.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

AHHH! I've heard of dude's with ego-complex's letting their mastiff's run around off the leash and challenging anyone who looks at 'em - but RUN! That dude's a BADAPPLE~

Sweet photo. Wonder what it's like when he enters a grocery store..

CJ

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join