It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Possible Way To Wake Up - Police were Banging on my Door

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I felt I needed to share this. Mod's I debated whether to put this in Rants but you have the overall choice.

This morning I woke up in the worst possible way possible, police were banging on my door!
It seems my 4 year old daughter woke up took my cell phone and played with it. Since she couldn't get past my pass-code she unlocked one of the only functions available. . . 911!
Well for those of you that know me I try my best to live off the grid. My phone number is a Manhattan number and the account is through work in PA (not linked to me in any way), yet it took the Albuquerque police department a total of 10 minutes to find me, my address and show up. My daughter watched 'Tangled' last night and apparently told the officer, she was talking to, she needed to be rescued because she is a princess.
Well, they came in and talked to her trying to explain the gravity of the situation and left with no further comment. Funny both officers were on the TV show cops, I recognized them both, highly decorated, long time served in the force. They were very understanding, thank god.
I now have mixed feelings about the incident. In the case I needed help it seems this is great, but being who I am I now feel like living off the grid with any cellphone is impossible.
It took them 10 minutes to find me. . . WTF!

Thanx. . . AB

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
gps locater is active in your phone..go to your phone company or find a friend who can show you how to turn it off

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I bet it happens all the time, I did the same at that age

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks they are"off the grid" is kidding themselves or seriously delusional.....maybe "partially below the radar" but the only way off the grid is to withdraw from the human race,move into the boonies and have someone sles shop for you,never drive a car,use a bank account etc....thank for the story...maybe wake someone up

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

If there was an emergency....10 minutes is pretty damn good.

Here where I live, the pizza man can get here faster than emergency services!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You are lucky that some of the level headed vets showed up. Very lucky.

Level-headed vets typically handle all sorts of situations far better and more reasonable than rookies because of one simple reason, experience.

Had you been unlucky and two rookies showed up, who knows what kind of tragedy could have played out.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If it was my kid she would have been lucky the police were there!

Amazing how fast anyone can be found now, big brother never sleeps.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Wow that is pretty fast considering your address wasn't listed on the account. So did they triangulate the signal? It's definitely a good thing in case you needed help and couldn't talk to the operator for some reason BUT its also very very sketchy that they were able to track you down that fast. I guess the meaning of "staying of the grid" has changed some

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Um, yeah. Living with a cell phone is not living "off the grid."

Lol.

Honestly, if you living in Albuquerque, how can you possibly be living off the grid? You have a job, a child, who probably gets health care of some kind, you are living in a house, have utilities, unless you are freeloading off someone else, or have a false identity, you have to have a paper trail a mile wide.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Like me walking up to the door with my shotgun or AR!

Yea! I agree. . .

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

If there was an emergency....10 minutes is pretty damn good.

Here where I live, the pizza man can get here faster than emergency services!

Yeah well, consider this.

The pizza man will lose his job if hes late, and customers will refuse to pay him any tips. Without tips he cannot afford to continue that job, gas is too expensive and car repair costs are astronomical.

But if the cops or emergency crews are late, oh well, oops. Rarely are their jobs threatened by being 15minutes or 30minutes late to the scene. Usually such incidents are quickly blown off and excused away. They get paid the same no matter what happens. So there is no real "incentive" for them to show up as fast and expediently as the pizza delivery person.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

I will look into turning off the GPS, but now I feel it's already too late.

They got my number linked to the address on record.
Next time they know right where to go!

. . . and I can't change my phone number, but I am moving soon, thank god!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The American spy program has made it easier to track people, this shouldn't be shocking. At today's technology level, you can do a lot in 10 minutes.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

WHAT! This is a hoax ! You seriously expect us to believe that they came to your house and did not shoot you and the dog and drag you kids of to social services ???? A obvious hoax .Lol.
No you are seriously lucky,I was not and had forty of them from three different departments come through my door without knocking at six am.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Ummm you want to be "off the grid", but you're posting your location on an internet forum.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
Anyone who thinks they are"off the grid" is kidding themselves or seriously delusional.....maybe "partially below the radar" but the only way off the grid is to withdraw from the human race,move into the boonies and have someone sles shop for you,never drive a car,use a bank account etc....thank for the story...maybe wake someone up

I know

I think Im prepared

IF I HAD THE MONEY

ARGHHHH

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarformNJ
If it was my kid she would have been lucky the police were there!

Amazing how fast anyone can be found now, big brother never sleeps.

children get into things they can reach. this is fact. responsible adults take steps to make certain dangerous items are out of the way.

a non-dangerous item used every day, left in the open, is commonplace.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

You have the option to turn the GPS off on your cell phone its usually under Settings, Location or some other menu function. However most phones I've seen will activate the GPS for 911 emergency calls.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
as an officer i can tell you that even with our limitied sources that if you have a cell phone and we need to find you we can find you. all we have to do is "ping" the number. kinda the reason i hate having an iphone. there is no way to truely turn it off since you cant access the batttery. my suggestion would be to get rid of the phone but we all know thats not going to happen in this society lol.

and as for the poster about the pizza guy being compared to the police here is a little tip. we are not pizza guys. we dont wait on that one call. we have many other things going on and we try to get to you as soon as we can. however we also place priorities on the call importance. if you have a neighbor playing loud music and you want it turned off you may get pushed to the back of the line behind the woman (or guy) who is getting his/her butt handed to them by their other domestic partner. what you constitute as an emergency may not be an emergency when it is placed next to other calls. however i can promise you that if it were given to me i will get to you in the fastest safest way possible and handle your problem with the utmost respect as long as it is given to me also.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Yah the others are right a lot of times you can get a fine for that. Had an officer show up at my house cause somebody called 911 and said it came from this address. He was not happy, said don't do it again. I was like, I didn't make the call sir. And he simply said, I have stated what not to do have a nice day. As for living off grid get a sat phone not a cell just FYI, and like I said to truly live off the grid you are going to have to get self reliant not cell reliant. That's a hilarious story though I can just imagine, "I'm a princess get me out of my tower and back to the castle officer." I would have been laughing my butt off but that's just me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join