It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When making predictions/claims about weather/weather patterns, PLEASE READ.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Ok, well recently there have been lots of threads about the weather saying
"OMIGAWD GUIZ, MOTHER NATURE IS UBER PISSED"
"Mother nature isn't happy, and is going to own us"
"This weather is so abnormal!!!!!!!!! the world is going to end in 2 days!!!11!!1!!1!!!!!!!"

Now here's what you should know. When Climate/Weather scientists talk about weather and if its worse then this year, or previous years, they look at a time line ( generally 30-100 years, because we haven't really been studying this stuff for longer, and we don't have databases going back 1000 years ). They than base their claims, on that time line. Whether its average temperature, average precipitation, average tornadoes, what ever you want.

Now, if you are making claims about something as grand as the weather is changing so much, that it means the world is going to end OR we are in store for something big. Now when making these claims, you can't just look at data for the past 30 years, you need to look at data for MANY MANY years, because the earth has been around for billions. When looking at 30 years, thats like a milisecond compared to the timeline of Earth.

Now yes, I agree the weather has been a little wierd lately, but it was also a little wierd last year too, the year before that, and the year before that, etc etc etc. But that doesn't mean the world is going to end

Now, I haven't been on ATS for long so I have no evidence for the following claim, but I'm pretty sure its a correct claim.
Claim: Go search ATS threads back to the day it was created, I'm sure, infact, I'm more then sure that there were threads back then complaining about the weather and how its wierd, etc... just like there are today.

TL;DR

The weather isn't abnormal, your just ignorant, and don't want to be proven wrong.

Seems like ATS' slogan should be, "We're so ignorant, we deny factual evidence!" ( or, atleast some of the people's slogan on the Fragile Weather sub-forum. )
edit on 5-6-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I am totally ignorant and would never claim by any stretch of the imagination to be "right"...I get a kick out of the fear mongering going on around here, so I made this thread:

Windy Man, she's a blowing these days!

CJ

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well climate change isn't exactly always bad or anything. It's quite natural.

We have all heard of the ice ages, etc.

Also it is widely believed and supported with all sorts of evidence, that the Sahara Desert was once a fertile plain with rivers and vegetation all over. The desert has been growing in scope and size for a very long time, and most of this evidence has been buried and only recently discovered.

Point is : drastic climate change is not only possible, it's probable and has been occurring for thousands of years naturally.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Exactly.. And some million years ago you even had palm trees in middle of arctic.
What alot of people dont seem to realize is that we are in fact in a ice age right now and have been for the last millions of years. What we are now experiencing is only a temp break from full ice age that only last for 10-20k years on average and it is nowhere as warm as it would be normally.

edit on Sun Jun 5 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: LARGE QUOTE

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
Ok, well recently there have been lots of threads about the weather saying
"OMIGAWD GUIZ, MOTHER NATURE IS UBER PISSED"
"Mother nature isn't happy, and is going to own us"
"This weather is so abnormal!!!!!!!!! the world is going to end in 2 days!!!11!!1!!1!!!!!!!"

Now here's what you should know. When Climate/Weather scientists talk about weather and if its worse then this year, or previous years, they look at a time line ( generally 30-100 years, because we haven't really been studying this stuff for longer, and we don't have databases going back 1000 years ). They than base their claims, on that time line. Whether its average temperature, average precipitation, average tornadoes, what ever you want.

Actually, a lot more goes into historical weather pattern discernment. Ice Cores, Plant growth, Geologic Strata studies, Carbon dating etc etc.

Now, if you are making claims about something as grand as the weather is changing so much, that it means the world is going to end OR we are in store for something big. Now when making these claims, you can't just look at data for the past 30 years, you need to look at data for MANY MANY years, because the earth has been around for billions. When looking at 30 years, thats like a milisecond compared to the timeline of Earth.

Yes, they do. See my paragraph above.

Now yes, I agree the weather has been a little wierd lately, but it was also a little wierd last year too, the year before that, and the year before that, etc etc etc. But that doesn't mean the world is going to end

I don't think reasonable people think the world is going to end. But that doesn't mean the human race won't end. 'Wierd' this year and 'wierd' last year - yep. And the year before that and year before that- leading proof of a pattern of anomalous weather that perfectly reflects climate change models produced since the 1990's.

From a 2010 article:
"The number of weather-related natural disasters soared last year, providing "further evidence of advancing climate change", according to a major report from one of the world's leading reinsurance firms.

Munich Re said that 950 natural disasters were recorded last year, nine tenths of which were weather-related events such as storms, floods or heat waves. The total represents the second highest number of natural disasters recorded since 1980 and is 21 per cent higher than the average number of annual incidents recorded over the past decade."

Now, I haven't been on ATS for long so I have no evidence for the following claim, but I'm pretty sure its a correct claim.
Claim: Go search ATS threads back to the day it was created, I'm sure, infact, I'm more then sure that there were threads back then complaining about the weather and how its wierd, etc... just like there are today.

Yes there are - because the weather has been noticeably changing for over 10 years and alert people on ATS take notice.

edit on 5-6-2011 by Stratus9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

I am totally ignorant and would never claim by any stretch of the imagination to be "right"...I get a kick out of the fear mongering going on around here, so I made this thread:

Windy Man, she's a blowing these days!

CJ

Guess what? 'Windy' is absolutely right:

news.discovery.com...

Earth Now a Windier World

But if winds continue to pick up at the same rate, hurricanes could become far more damaging by the middle of the century. Among other implications, engineers would need to rethink they way they plan coastal and offshore structures. “We may be observing an upward increase of something that, in the future, will go down again,” said Ian Young, a physical oceanographer at the Australian National University in Canberra. “However, the fact that we’re seeing this on a global basis in both the northern and the southern hemispheres suggests it may be a long-term trend rather than an oscillation. If we’re going to design things in the future, we may want to actually factor in oceanic waves going up.”

edit on 5-6-2011 by Stratus9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

How long would you say it takes for the Earth to "cleanse" itself?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Roman warm period, medievil warm period, ice age, litte ice age.

Weather changes, that's why it's weather.

The question is, have we affected it?
The answer is yes.

The real question is HOW MUCH we have affected our biosphere.

Climate change (or whatever they are calling it this week) is a small problem compared to the major problems of pollution and deforestation, as well as poisoning the land, and wrecking the water tables we depend on.

There's a lot more wrong with our planet than weather.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

climate change sure, but the sun controls us all, by that I mean all the planets in our solar system, earth & our sun have a far deeper connection which is the life it gives, the birth, the pain, the love & hate. It is our time

top topics

join