It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Large Avatars and my very costly problem with them!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am in the Netherlands at the moment and I have a very expensive prepaid mobile connection. It costs me 0.33 Cents (Euro) per Mb. That's a lot of money and it costs me lots of it reading on ATS because many members ignore the maximum size of their avatars!

My provider resizes images automatically, but the .gif files don't get resized. It happened several times today that I read a thread and just because of these #!§%&# avatars my money goes down the drain!!!

So mods, please do something about it!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I thought we could turn off viewing avatars? (the hide members avatars under tools)
I have done this in the past on a mobile connection, not sure if you still can.. but would have thoughts so.

edit on 5/6/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Go to Tools, select "hide member avatars and backgrounds". It's done at the account level, so you can do it once and that'll be your default setting, or you can change it as you'd like.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Hmm, that's nice, how can I do that.

BTW, here an offender;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Here is also a way you can turn off avatars/backgrounds if that helps you save on your bill:

Member Tools.

Then scroll down and press 'submit' for the option to hide member avatars/backgrounds.

Staff definitely tries to cut down on massive avatars when we spot them but there is a feature you can use to cut down costs.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Go to Tools, select "hide member avatars and backgrounds". It's done at the account level, so you can do it once and that'll be your default setting, or you can change it as you'd like.

Originally posted by AshleyD
Here is also a way you can turn off avatars/backgrounds if that helps you save on your bill:

Member Tools.

Then scroll down and press 'submit' for the option to hide member avatars/backgrounds.

Staff definitely tries to cut down on massive avatars when we spot them but there is a feature you can use to cut down costs.

Thanks for the information, I just changed the settings.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Sorry for the delay in responding

Glad you have it sorted now

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
As an aside, we do have rules in place for the size of avatars and backgrounds: New Rules for Avatars and Backgrounds.

Maximum pixel dimensions: 170 pixels wide by 240 pixels high.

Maximum file size: Remains 75k

So, if you see one that clearly violates it, just hit alert on the post you see it....staff will handle from there

edit on June 5th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jun 16 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added link

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Wow...that is a HUGE avatar (filesize, that is).

i can't imagine having to pay per MB for internet. Jeez....i would pay thousands a month!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The avatar in question has been removed.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

You can also look into your browser configuration, it may have the possibility of not downloading images.

That way you can only download the ones you want to see, while other images are not downloaded.

That was one of the reasons I started to use Opera many years ago, it has an option to not download images.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I just switched them off so my pages would load faster. Being on a slow connection is a pain to say the least.
edit on 6/5/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
You can also press the "ESC" button on your keyboard to stop the animation also.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I had the same connection as you did (KPN UMTS) but my employer paid for the cost.......only problem for me was I live right across the border in Germany and when the provider was not detected it would switch to an alternative one, in my case a German provider. Cost went up to 2,- euro per MB!!!

My employer kindly requested that I'd arrange some alternative since my monthly bill was 10x higher than those of my colleagues........

I'm currently hitchhiking on my neighbors WiFi.......... (with his permission of course)

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

I had the same connection as you did (KPN UMTS) but my employer paid for the cost.......only problem for me was I live right across the border in Germany and when the provider was not detected it would switch to an alternative one, in my case a German provider. Cost went up to 2,- euro per MB!!!

My employer kindly requested that I'd arrange some alternative since my monthly bill was 10x higher than those of my colleagues........

I'm currently hitchhiking on my neighbors WiFi.......... (with his permission of course)

Peace

I use Vodafone and it's 33 cents per Mb. You know what is really crazy?
I have a German Vodafone prepaid sim-card too and they charge for roaming 15 Euros for 50 Mb, so 1 Mb would cost me 30 Cents if I would use the German sim-card here in the Netherlands.
I also have a O2 sim-card for Germany and they ask 25 Euros for 5 Gigabyte a month (within Germany). The Dutch providers are usurers!
I filed a complaint about Vodafone, lets see what they are going to do about that.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
I filed a complaint about Vodafone

lets see what they are going to do about that.

...I would not cancel other appointments while waiting for a reply.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
log out then view the pages, i dont think you can view profile images when you are not loged in..

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
As an aside, we do have rules in place for the size of avatars and backgrounds: New Rules for Avatars and Backgrounds.

Maximum pixel dimensions: 170 pixels wide by 240 pixels high.

Maximum file size: Remains 75k

So, if you see one that clearly violates it, just hit alert on the post you see it....staff will handle from there

edit on June 5th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I would have thought it would have been easier to see from your end of ATS if someone has uploaded an Avater biger than 75k. Cant you just put a little filter in the sight code to stop people uploading filings above a certain size...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
double post...
edit on 6-6-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join