It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Bizarre Phobias

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hey all,

Phobias, as serious as they are you have to laugh at some of them. Take number one on the list for instance, fear of hardons anyone? Anyhow, I notice there's fear of clowns in the list too, I really don't think that's too bizzare a phobia because clowns really are freaky (maybe a slight phobia I have there there?) and I reckon a lot of clown phobias stemmed back to Stephen King's ''IT'', heh.

I suppose the king of all phobias is number 8, panphobia, fear of everything, that would be hell indeed..

Also, really, does number 10 really even warrant a name for that condition? Fear of being tickled with feathers?

listverse.com...

1. Ithyphallophobia – Fear of Erections

Defined as “a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of an erect penis”, each year this surprisingly common phobia causes countless people needless distress. To add insult to an already distressing condition, most fear of erection therapies take months or years and sometimes even require the patient to be exposed repeatedly to their fear. Known by a number of names – Medorthophobia, Phallophobia, Ithyphallophobia, and Fear of an Erect Penis being the most common – the problem often significantly impacts the quality of life. It can cause panic attacks and keep people apart from loved ones and business associates.

2. Ephebophobia – Fear of Youth

The psychological and social fear of youth. The effects of ephebiphobia appear to cause damage throughout society. At least one major economist has proposed that the fear of youth can have grave effects on the economic health of nations. Coinage is attributed to a 1994 article by Kirk Astroth published in Phi Delta Kappan. Today, common usage occurs internationally by sociologists, government agencies, and youth advocacy organizations that define ephebiphobia as an abnormal or irrational and persistent fear and/or loathing of teenagers or adolescence.

3. Coulrophobia – Fear of Clowns

Coulrophobia is an abnormal or exaggerated fear of clowns. It is not uncommon among children, but is also sometimes found in teenagers and adults as well. Sufferers sometimes acquire a fear of clowns after having a bad experience with one personally, or seeing a sinister portrayal of one in the media. The weird appearance of the clowns, swollen red noses and unnatural hair colors makes these persons look so mysterious and treacherous. Adults who are victims of coulrophobia know what they fear is completely irrational and illogical, but they can’t escape the circumstance.

4. Ergasiophobia – Fear of Work

Ergasiophobia can be a persistent and debilitating disorder in some people, causing significant psychological disability and dysfunction. These individuals may actually be suffering from an underlying mental health problem such as depression or Attention Deficit Disorder.

5. Gymnophobia – Fear of Nudity

Gymnophobia is a fear or anxiety about being seen naked, and/or about seeing others naked, even in situations where it is socially acceptable. Gymnophobes may experience their fear of nudity before all people, or only certain people, and may regard their fear as irrational. This phobia often arises from a feeling of inadequacy that their bodies are physically inferior, particularly due to comparison with idealized images portrayed in the media. The fear may also stem from anxiety about sexuality in general, or from a persistent feeling of vulnerability associated with the thought that those who have seen the gymnophobe naked will continue to imagine the gymnophobe nude.

6. Neophobia – Fear of Newness

Neophobia is the fear of new things or experiences. It is also called cainotophobia. In psychology, neophobia is defined as the persistent and abnormal fear of anything new. In its milder form, it can manifest as the unwillingness to try new things or break from routine. The term is also used to describe anger, frustration or trepidation toward new things and toward change in general. Some conservative and reactionary groups are often described as neophobic, in their attempts to preserve traditions or revert society to a perceived past form. Technophobia can be seen as a specialized form of neophobia, by fearing new technology.

7. Paraskavedekatriaphobia – Fear of Friday the 13th

A Friday occurring on the 13th day of any month is considered to be a day of bad luck in English, German, Polish, Bulgarian and Portuguese-speaking cultures around the globe. The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, a word that is derived from the concatenation of the Greek words Παρασκευή, δεκατρείς, and φοβία, meaning Friday, thirteen, and phobia respectively; alternative spellings include paskevodekatriaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia, and is a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a phobia (fear) of the number thirteen.

8. Panphobia – Fear of Everything

Panphobia, also called omniphobia, Pantophobia or Panophobia, is a medical condition known as a “non-specific fear”; the sufferer finds themselves in a state of fear but with no known target, and therefore no easy remedy. It has been described as “a vague and persistent dread of some unknown evil”. This fear is often seen as a secondary condition to schizophrenia.

9. Taphophobia – Fear of being Buried Alive

Fear of being buried alive is the fear of being placed in a grave while still alive as a result of being incorrectly pronounced dead. The abnormal, psychopathological version of this fear is referred to as taphophobia. Before the advent of modern medicine the fear was not entirely irrational. Throughout history there have been numerous cases of people being accidentally buried alive.

10. Pteronophobia – Fear of being Tickled by Feathers

Pteronophobia is the irrational fear of being tickled by feathers. Certain childhood events, such as tickling a baby, can lead to this fear as the child may feel trapped. It is related to the fear of tickling.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Anatidaephobia is my favorate, it is the irrational fear that you are being watched by... a duck. Not the goverment or spys or anything else, just a duck.

I know somone with genuine fear of clowns, i know this because thinking it wasnt a real thing somone else in the company emailed him a picture of a clown link desgused as somthing else, and got him self in alot of HR related trouble!

I think somtimes poeple mistake their own dislikes or intollerences to certain things as 'fears', when they would not freak out if they were placed next to their "fear" like a genuine sufferer of the condition would be, for example im not too fond of clowns either but id be able to go to a cinema and take the only avilable seat next to a clown knowing that its just a strange guy in suit rather than some monster out to 'get me'

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Clowns are evil!!

I have never liked clowns, they are just creepy. I remember going to the circus and just being creeped out by them and not wanting anything to do with them. A friend of mine a couple years ago dressed as an evil clown for Halloween and thought it was funny to chase me around. It wasn't funny!

Fear of Friday the 13th? Wow that is one I havent heard. I am not even going to try and pronounce that name.

I was watching a show years ago that had other fears and one girl was afraid of cotton and it was traced back to when she was a little girl about 4 and had almost a full body cast on after being in an accident. She acquired a fear for it after having been in a cast for about 6mths and the changing of her dressings which required the use of cotton balls. Another girl was afraid of balloons and one was afraid of aluminum foil. I didn't get the foil one, they never said where it came from.

Now the fear of being tickled with a feather I don't get either but I do NOT like to be tickled. My uncle use to tickle me to the point I'd cry lol Yeah everyone always thought it was cute but it's not cute when it's you! To this day I don't sleep with my arm up out of fear that I will be tickled even though I have nobody next to me and when I do stay with my bf he cracks up because I am so worried he is going to unleash on me and tickle my arms! If people even try to tickle me I tend to get violent lol I will tell you once not to do it, if you continue to do it then I will take any action necessary to get away from you.

Most people love to come up behind me and tickle my sides which makes me naturally drop to the ground. They all say "oh its cute," no it's not! I hate to be tickled.

Cool thread

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
i can understand the fear of "new things". i have a fear of change but when change occurs i always seem to adapt and am ok.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a few more unusal ones ot add to your list mayb

Agyrophobia- Fear of streets or crossing the street.

Anemophobia- Fear of air drafts or wind.(Ancraophobia)

Bromidrosiphobia or Bromidrophobia- Fear of body smells.

Phobophobia Fear of fear or fear of developing a phobia

Nephophobia Fear of clouds

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia Fear of long words

Cacophobia Fear of ugliness

Epistemophobia Fear of knowledge

Papaphobia Fear of the Pope

Arachibutyrophobia Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I had a girl fiend who was afraid of clowns, the funny part was we lived next door to a husband and wife who were traveling circus clowns part time. They had this really creepy clown face painted on a trailer in their drive way and my GF always held her hand up while passing it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Great Thread.

I've always found Phobias fascinating and sometimes entertaining.

There's also a thread here for members to share their phobias and there are some that are equally fascinating right here on ATS!

You can't make this stuff up!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

S&F

edit on 5-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Ergasiophobia can be a persistent and debilitating disorder in some people, causing significant psychological disability and dysfunction. These individuals may actually be suffering from an underlying mental health problem such as depression or Attention Deficit Disorder.

A phobia that has been affecting teenagers worldwide since the beginning of time.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
this is like the 5th list ive seen in the past 48 hours. Why all of a sudden are so many newer members posting other peoples work "top 10 lists"? all you did was provide a link and then copy and paste what someone else wrote.

Isnt the link enough?

can we please start banning these listverses?
edit on 6/5/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

A phobia that has been affecting teenagers worldwide since the beginning of time.

Finally, a reason for my lazy A$$!

I always knew that my hatred of bosses was a disease and that I wasn't responsible for all my evil thoughts and cursing behind their backs. lol

I feel much better now! lol

edit on 5-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Awesome, these are going to go into heavy rotation in the "mood" box below my ATS profile from now on.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
A lot of scrotes living near me definately have No4 and all of them have
something not mentioned on the list !

Soaphydrophobia !!!!
Thats fear of soap and water !
Alledgedly !

Peace

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Tell me about it, all 4 of mine got and as adults they still have it

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

9. Taphophobia – Fear of being Buried Alive Fear of being buried alive is the fear of being placed in a grave while still alive as a result of being incorrectly pronounced dead. The abnormal, psychopathological version of this fear is referred to as taphophobia. Before the advent of modern medicine the fear was not entirely irrational. Throughout history there have been numerous cases of people being accidentally buried alive.

Doesn't everyone have that fear? I can't imagine anyone would be comfortable with the idea of being buried alive.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KatieVA

Doesn't everyone have that fear? I can't imagine anyone would be comfortable with the idea of being buried alive.

which is why i want bells attached between my finger and the gravestone so i can ring it *just in case*

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.

Fear of being buried alive is the fear of being placed in a grave while still alive as a result of being incorrectly pronounced dead. The abnormal, psychopathological version of this fear is referred to as taphophobia. Before the advent of modern medicine the fear was not entirely irrational. Throughout history there have been numerous cases of people being accidentally buried alive.

Seriously, I don't see why someone would not fear this situation. It is probably closely tied with claustrophobia but even so, it's like saying : "The fear of behind in a rocket inevitability crashing in the sun"
You can't say : "Oh shucks, I'm buried underground in a coffin...no need to panic!
"

I think it's a pretty rational fear compared to most fears, because if you get in this situation, other then patiently waiting to hear sound from the ground and keeping ones energy till then, there is no way you can get out. Even then, I'm sure 90%+ would simply die of an heart attack or from stress.

I think waking up in a coffin is probably the worst death possible, I wouldn't be surprised that the ones that had this situation happen are stuck on earth has ghosts.

A couple ones are very interesting!

Nice post OP

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
this is like the 5th list ive seen in the past 48 hours. Why all of a sudden are so many newer members posting other peoples work "top 10 lists"? all you did was provide a link and then copy and paste what someone else wrote.

Isnt the link enough?

can we please start banning these listverses?
edit on 6/5/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

Awwww, poor little fella, it's such a hard life putting up with this sort of travesty isn't it? First off, I'm not a new member. Secondly, go and whine about it in the rant section, if you don't like a thread don't bother posting in it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have two of those phobia's holy crap now I got names for my craziness! (Clowns and buried alive)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have a serious phobia of balloons !! I've been so afraid of balloons my whole life I know it's really irrational & a lot of my friends think it's hilarious but they frighten me so much!!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

lol dont poor little fella me. I come to ATS to read good thought provoking topics and original content hopefully.

If i wanted to read top 10 lists of listverse I would go there. And on top of it, you took everything they wrote about and stole it. didnt even put it in quotations. and you barely added any of your own content. Im actually pretty sure a couple of those are against TC. Its just funny how many people run here with every little thing they can find to get a few paltry flags and stars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join