It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the fudge happened to Rob Dougan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f6fce0b51a8.jpg[/atsimg]

Remember Rob Dougan? If not you will surely know Clubbed to Death, an unmistakably classic piece of music. It can be heard in several films, countless TV programs, adverts, and generally just any time you need to convey something as intrinsically evil!

Other lesser known but excellent songs among his repertoire include; I'm not Driving Anymore, Furious Angels, and Chateau. Several of his songs have featured on the various Matrix films, and in regards to the second and third movies, they are probably the only thing worth talking about.

Rob began making music in the early nineties when first arriving in the UK, remixing and producing tracks under the title Rob D. He released his first singles in 1994 titled Hard Times and Stand Up.

Here are my top 5 Rob Dougan tracks:

5. I'm Not Driving Anymore

4. Instrumental

3. Born Yesterday (Instrumental)

2. Clubbed to Death 2 (Instrumental)

1. Clubbed to Death

His last work was released in 2003, titled 'Too Lost In You' and written for the Sugababes.
Not the worst song I've ever heard, but certainly no Clubbed to Death. I have a sneaking suspicion the instrumental of this track might be far more interesting and evocative.

Rob Dougan had also allegedly been working on two new albums since 2006, one original, and one classical. However it was randomly mentioned in April 2008 on a wine blog, that Mr Dougan was the new owner of a vineyard La Peira En Damaisela, so perhaps he has moved on to finer things...

www.bbr.com...

The last update by Rob Dougan on the official fan site was over two years ago, way back in 2009!

March 7, 2009
Follow Rob on Twitter
There is little album news at the moment, but you can keep an eye on Rob and La Pèira through Twitter

www.robdougan.org...

So where has he disappeared to? Are you resting on your laurels Mr. Dougan? They are some mighty fine laurels to rest upon, I bet you could slumber like Apollo himself. But with so little by way of inspirational music today, I just wonder if you're ever coming back? The wine must be good.

I believe the 'youthful' music industry has proven quite conclusively that it has no taste, no intelligent content, and certainly no appreciation for classical talent, Ke$ha anyone?

I think we need to resurrect a master.

Maybe it's just me, I admit, I am a snob when it comes to music. However I think you'll agree we need to counter this kind of abomination for the sake of our children.

Forgive them Lord they know not what they do...
edit on 5-6-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: To add link and pc

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
LMFAO! Never did I think I would find a fellow Rob Dougan fan on here, let alone a thread about him. Good #. That being said, I have no idea where he went. Supposedly he is still working on the next album, and he has said before, he is a perfectionist, so it may take him a long time. I just hope it isn't his "Chinese Democracy."

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

Thanks for the reply SubPop! He does seem the perfectionist type, it's that kind of music I suppose. I sincerely hope he is still working on it, and it's not another Dr. Dre fiasco.

Good talent can't be rushed! Much like a good wine...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Are you resting on your laurels Mr. Dougan?
They are some mighty fine laurels to rest upon,

Initial thought = that sounds kinda creepy.
I am not familiar with that term. You can probably guess what I thought HIS' laurels were, that HE might be sitting on. I'll just say that I would have never thought this at all, if you were talking about a female.

I had to search it though, and I soon discovered that I was slightly mistaken. Now, that first thought is even more amusing to me, so I just wanted to share.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Ha ha, definitely worth sharing!

He might have nice ahem... aswell. I don't know.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
he's probably just producing music for other people rather than making his own. That's usually the case with one man electronic projects that suddenly stop.

I'm not a fan but didn't he release a greatest hits or something along those lines not too long ago? I swear I read about it on a music blog somewhere.

Oh and from one snob to another being a fan of movie soundtracks is about on par with liking the BEP.

Always makes me think of those people who play sandstorm over and over and ask if you've ever heard it before.
edit on 5-6-2011 by FEDec because: pfeh

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Not a big fan of movie soundtracks, certainly never bought one anyway. However like I say Rob Dougan's songs in the Matrix films were awesome and an important launchpad for his career.

Here's another movie score I really like.

If you don't like that song, then I'm not sure which direction your musical snobbery has taken you? But Rob Dougan nor John Murphy, can be linked to the atrocity that is BEP. That's just crazy talk.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

If you don't like that song, then I'm not sure which direction your musical snobbery has taken you? But Rob Dougan nor John Murphy, can be linked to the atrocity that is BEP. That's just crazy talk.

Did you ever hear the empire strikes back? BEPs pre-fergie stuff is actually pretty good. All the stuff you have posted does admittedly make for good movie scores. But would I ever listen to it alone? Heck no! It's the kind of pretentious moody BS that 15 year old's add to their COD youtube videos. It's the kind of thing people that take themselves too seriously listen to.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Did you ever hear the empire strikes back? BEPs pre-fergie stuff is actually pretty good.

I had a listen there, while it's better than their new stuff, it's just about average. It would be like saying "this is my favourite flavour of dog sh*t." It's all bad, but for some reason you were made to choose.

I'll stick with the pretentious music I think. Taking myself too seriously looks much better than the alternative.

new topics

top topics

join