It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetosphere 5 June 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Make of it as you wish.

On the Left is a normal flux pattern for average day, average sun flares, high solar wind.
The middle pattern is when there are some strong solar flares, bigger sun-spots.

On the right is the pattern today - quite a different picture. All the N-Flux lines compressed very close to Earth.
The S-flux lines drools off like a limpy . . .
This really looks like there is a lot of pressure on the magnetic flux from opposite side of sun ???
I don't say this is extremely abnormal; but in past 4 years of monitoring it is the first time I see htis pattern.

I do expect things to return to normal later today - as is nature;
However this will be a haunting question for me; for some time.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/974e7ed25db7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
i have seen this before or something similar. I think it looked like this the day before the japan quake.

might be confused with something else though.

guessing

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Why? There is nothing wrong.

This happens often and has been posted several times here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aromaz
Make of it as you wish.

On the Left is a normal flux pattern for average day, average sun flares, high solar wind.
The middle pattern is when there are some strong solar flares, bigger sun-spots.

On the right is the pattern today - quite a different picture. All the N-Flux lines compressed very close to Earth.
The S-flux lines drools off like a limpy . . .
This really looks like there is a lot of pressure on the magnetic flux from opposite side of sun ???
I don't say this is extremely abnormal; but in past 4 years of monitoring it is the first time I see htis pattern.

I do expect things to return to normal later today - as is nature;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/974e7ed25db7.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks a bit like turbulent flow to me.

It depends upon how frequently the readings are taken, their duty cycle, and the rate the fluctuations can occur.

Instantaneous snapshots are not necessarily informative, it is the progression and limits of divergence that are of most use.

Was this a sustained reading?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
What your are seeing is the effect of a very strong north turn of the solar wind (the Bz component).
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Lasted about 6 hours. Since 06h20 back to normal. Corresponds to Solar Storm warning on NOAA.
Flux lines were compressed close in near to Earth, only the S-flux drooled 'down' - N remained closed loop.

PS Duty cycle is 1 minute, averaged to one hour.
edit on 5/6/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
however... we must consider that the magnetic field has weakend 60% the last 200 years...
so oure protection is getting lesser...
i can imagine that an real blow from the sun will whipe it out temperorly...and wat effect will it have on the source of oure magnetic field...?
edit on 5-6-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
What your are seeing is the effect of a very strong north turn of the solar wind (the Bz component).

Some Correct: 'By' at that time >-20 nT
Followed by series of unstable Temp and Density fluctuations.

BUT: I would expect this when there are strong solar flares of upper C or even M class;
and flux speed 700km/sec kind of environment - not 550 km/sec .

Solar flares in past 24 hours were only three weak ones: B3.5 + B7.8 + B6.2
In 24 hours before that: C1, B4, C2, B4, B5 - then 24 hours prior none a all.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

The By component is aligned perpendicular to the Earth's field and does not have much influence upon it. The Bz turned north at 0200. At the same the density dropped and speed increased (indicative of coronal hole activity).
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dd147c08ddfc.gif[/atsimg]

Solar flares do not influence the solar wind. The increase in density prior to the drop represents the CME from region 1226 which occurred on June 1. The G2 level storm was associated with the CME

Because of the north turn, geomagnetic activity subsided.

edit on 6/5/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Accept, Thanks.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
i have seen this before or something similar. I think it looked like this the day before the japan quake.

might be confused with something else though.

guessing

And looky looky, what happened now? A massive volcanic eruption in Chile.
Second line.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

(indicative of coronal hole activity).

Exactly.

And as research shows, coronas and CME's are relate to tectonic/volcanic activity here on Earth and also on our rocky neighbours.

Hence, a volcanic eruption occured today.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Yeah not too major of an event. G2 class storm by NOAA's standard and caused by a combined hit from a coronal hole high speed stream (CH HSS) and a fast moving coronal mass ejection (CME) buffeting our Earth's magnetosphere and stratosphere at roughly the same time. Nothing to worry about just yet, but at least the Sun is getting interesting again... She was quiet for a spell ...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

Why wasn't there any volcanoes or earthquakes from the Feb 15th X flare that hit earth?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Because: It is not the flare that potentially causes problems: it is the magnetic flux content and electron fluctuations.
Though still under investigations.

Chile was not the only volcano. Mexico also blew a bit of a surprise today.
Though Mexico is a little question; I would not assign either to be triggered by solar; . . . yet.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

could you ex-plane it to me please i am thick as a brick and i don't know what you-er on about thanks allot bert666

new topics

top topics

join