It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm going to Costa Rica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This September I'm going to be in Costa Rica and I'm going to be helping out a group of doctors there for a few weeks. It costs $1000, and I'm paying my own way, I can hardly wait, it will be the experience of a lifetime. I'm getting my passport and everything now so I'll be ready. I'm not getting paid to do any of this, and I'm going to be eating the same food as the locals, it's not going to be a vacation either, I'm going to be working for a good 12-14 hours a day. Of course, once I come back I'll be sure to share my experience with everyone here. The only other country I've ever been to is Jonathanland, and I reckon this will be a vastly different experience than visiting a first-world city-state. Anyone have any words of advice or words of advice?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by samusaran253

All I can say is I love costa rica, its great in many ways. The people of the land are lovely and need to be respected, they dont like loud voices. Also just some simple eye contact and respect goes a long way. The further you go up in to the forest the more dangerous it get with regards to snake and othre poisonous friends. The food is great and nature is simply explosive. To be there for a while, I imagine it will change you a lot, so go with it.Let the country guide you and then you will be fine.
best wishes and enjoy the great space.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

All I can say is I love costa rica, its great in many ways. The people of the land are lovely and need to be respected, they dont like loud voices. Also just some simple eye contact and respect goes a long way. The further you go up in to the forest the more dangerous it get with regards to snake and othre poisonous friends. The food is great and nature is simply explosive. To be there for a while, I imagine it will change you a lot, so go with it.Let the country guide you and then you will be fine.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancientthunder

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going deep into the jungles.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Last time I was in CR was in 1990. I still have family there.
For the most part everyone is pretty cool and friendly.
Get ready for a very neat experience have fun in ticoland.

btw when someone asks you how you are. say "con todo la pata"
not sure where that came from but it's a standard i'm doing well response.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Myself and the doctors will be staying at the head doctor's mansion in Costa Rica, which close to village that we will be helping out. I think it might be relatively deep in the jungle, but I'm not really sure, I'm meeting with the head doctor later this month.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
In costa rica when u ask for a taco they give you taquitos. And everyone basically speaks english they r a very highly educated people in the english language which comes in hand wen u dont know spanish very well

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Cool. Make sure to have some coffee. it's awesome.
and thanks for helping out my tico's

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It is fine to be excited, but don't be too idealistic about your trip. I would suggest get your feet more firmly planted down to earth by reading on the internet some of expat blogs and file serves sites. There, you will find down-to-earth experiences about some of the problems and unpleasentries of the country.

I personally love Mexico, but after several trips there over the years, I've learn that all is not sunshine and smiling faces. No one goes off into a strange land blindly these days expecting the best even when on a "good will" trip. --And I'm not speaking about the cartels in Mexico. In many foreign countries, minor crimes such as stealing is a more or less accepted fact of life becasue most everyone is so poor. Expat sites from Costa Rica, for example will say if you are coming to build or live there as many retiring Americans do, never leave your building materials or nice house unattended. Always have someone, if only a maid, "guarding" the place.

Good luck, 'hope you enjoy the experience and it inriches your life. (Don't let your passport and or BC out of your sight.).

I know, I'll get slammed for this and probably the outfit you are joining for the trip is well aware of the pitfalls and will give you critical info on the society and culture. Proceed with an objective view of that different world, and you will have a better understanding of their world and yourself.

top topics

join