It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I go in to get tested for schizophrenia?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Ok, well ever since I was a little kid ( as long as I could remember ) I've always felt different, and I never felt I fit in with anyone around me, so I just made it look like I do ( I still do this now. I just can't find people I fit in with, so I make do with the friends I have. No matter how many different people I meet, I never meet someone I fit/connect with. It will seem like I do for awhile, but after a few months I come to realization that I've just been making it look like it I do, to me, and everyone around me).

I used to talk to myself in the mirror, sometimes in made up languages, sometimes in gibberish, sometimes in english ( I did this until I was 14 or 15. I'm 17 now. ) Now I shifted this into my head. I'll talk and talk and talk, as if theres another person present, but they aren't really there. Its about anything really, no specific topic. What ever comes up. I find my self comparing things alot in my head, and carrying on conversations with my self ). Often when I'm on the bus I feel like people are reading my thoughts, if someone laughs I think they laughed because of what I've thought. I used to think my friends were plotting to get me. But that stopped.

Im currently in a psychology class, and my teacher has told me stories about people who are Schizophrenic, or mentally Ill basically getting their rights taken away, and being forced to live a life thats apart from everyone else. This is the main reason why I don't want to go get tested ( even though I basically already know the answer ). I don't want to be labelled "Schizophrenic" or "Mentally Ill" because once you are, that never goes away. And people look down upon people like that.

I have some wierd beliefs ( about aliens. I've posted my numerous experiences on here. People call me crazy for believing in this stuff, and what has happened to me. People routinely make jokes. Heck I can't really blame them, its some funky stuff lol. ) that could be called delusions, but I don't call them that, because they aren't. I know when I'm hallucinating, I know how to distuingish reality from non-reality.

It hasn't caused any problems in my life. Other then messing around with my emotions sometimes, but thats manageable.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
RE subject line: Sounds like your in two minds about it ......
2nd line
edit on 44/6/11 by BobbyShaftoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbyShaftoe

What do you mean?
-----------------------------
Also I feel like people never really understand me, and what I say to them is too difficult for them to understand.
Thanks for the quick reply

edit on 4-6-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

If you can manage it, then you don't need help - Its when it becomes out of control that one must seek assistance if they are worried they may harm someone or themselves.

You may just be paranoid and anxious, It doesn't mean you have mental illness to that degree.

You may count yourself among those who are sensitive, perhaps from being alone and being open to the possibility that other beings exist, or that you know other languages your mind was not shut off and filtered like the rest of us. Keep your wits about you and know that you stand between 2 worlds.

So long as you know which is which, you are okay.

-GM

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Also, I don't know if this is important. But:
I enjoy being by myself, I don't mind it. I find it rather peaceful and calming.
I've talked with friends and when I tell them this they say "Trust me, you may just think that."
But they don't understand, its how I fell. I know other people don't like being by themselves ( I'm guessing most dont ) but I really like it for some wierd reason.
--------------
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

I think it is your choice. If you want to have that label it will be because you cannot cope. Until the day you need a diagnosis you are not schizophrenic.

You made it this far. I hope you can get all the way. It is possible.

But even if you do find you need help at anytime, you are still you. How you perceive everything is your unique self.

Just because you have certain experiences that are different to many around you does not automatically make you schizophrenic. The world is a lonely place for us all really. Soul friends are hard to find.

Even if someone is schizophrenic I would never look down on them.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Revolution9 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I work in mental health in the UK, people with mental health issues tend not to have any insight into there illness and have little or no idea that they are presenting any symptoms. The sheer fact that you are aware of what is going on shows a healthy mind, the paranoia can be quite normal as well and as long as you are able to reason with yourself that it is probably not true then you have nothing to worry about.

I have no knowledge of what support is available in the US, in the UK we have a mental health helpline, if you continue to be worried about this issue it may be an idea to phone something similar, just to get some reassurance.

I would not jump the gun and get "tested", being labelled sucks big time and is hard to shake off, this should be a last resort if you no longer feel you can cope.

Peace
edit on 4-6-2011 by Jamjar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Schizophrenia in the vast majority of cases is not a major issue. Many people live very normal lives. I remember a story of some really brilliant minds who got married and had kids and then wrote about being a paranoid schizophrenic.

Truthfully you may have some sort of social anxiety, I feel the same way especially at school, but in different circumstances I feel perfectly fine. Its good to have someone to talk to about it and learn about the processes of the mind that are causing you to think/feel this way and slowly start correcting it.

You will find out in your life that if you can love yourself, it will radiate outwards, no matter what your weaknesses or fears are and people will be drawn to that.

edit on 4-6-2011 by ThisIsMyName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jamjar

Really well done, Great advice to anyone!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Sounds more like Schizotypal personality than schizophrenia.

Actually it sounds more like you're a pothead, or at least have done some drugs.
You mention that you can tell when you're hallucinating. Take psychedelics much?
Lay off the drugs for a while and see how you feel. And a while means months, not days.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
Also, I don't know if this is important. But:
I enjoy being by myself, I don't mind it. I find it rather peaceful and calming.
I've talked with friends and when I tell them this they say "Trust me, you may just think that."
But they don't understand, its how I fell. I know other people don't like being by themselves ( I'm guessing most dont ) but I really like it for some wierd reason.
--------------

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.

Its funny but people are threatened by those that do not need to rely on others as it exposes their own frailty. Being able to do what you do is a strength and you should be proud of that ability.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jamjar

Sometimes I can't convince myself that when I think people are reading my thoughts, they actually aren't.

An example ( not about my thoughts being read ):
One time I was on the skytrain, and this women who was crazy, or under the influence ( she looked like a crack addict ). Started saying stuff ( I don't remember what, but it sounded like a terrorist speech, well to me atleast ).
I got really paranoid, and had to get off the Sky Train because I thought if I was going to stay on, I would've been killed.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbyShaftoe

Smart @ss!

Lol 2nd

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
reply to post by Jamjar

Sometimes I can't convince myself that when I think people are reading my thoughts, they actually aren't.

An example ( not about my thoughts being read ):
One time I was on the skytrain, and this women who was crazy, or under the influence ( she looked like a crack addict ). Started saying stuff ( I don't remember what, but it sounded like a terrorist speech, well to me atleast ).
I got really paranoid, and had to get off the Sky Train because I thought if I was going to stay on, I would've been killed.

Again nothing wrong with this behaviour, the paranoia was your fight or flight mechanism kicking in caused by an increase in adrenaline. Perfectly acceptable in that situation.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You are just different, unique, all you are going to get is destroyed if you seek help from the corporate employees, aka doctors.

They are going to medicate you, brainwash you, and drain every penny you have.

I think i'd rather be eccentric, how about you?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think you should post a video of you speaking in one of those languages for us.

Wear a funny mask

Lets enjoy ourselves for our diversity and creativity

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsMyName
Schizophrenia in the vast majority of cases is not a major issue. Many people live very normal lives. I remember a story of some really brilliant minds who got married and had kids and then wrote about being a paranoid schizophrenic.

This just isn't true. To even be diagnosed with schizophrenia, it needs to be interfering in a person's life in some major way. All of the criteria are problems that will interfere majorly. If it's not interfering in a person's life drastically, they probably don't have schizophrenia and we're misdiagnosed.
you remember one story? Oooh, an anecdote that you can't even cite, good evidence. Anecdotes aren't ever proof of anything.
Don't spread falsehoods about a serious disorder like schizophrenia.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
You are just different, unique, all you are going to get is destroyed if you seek help from the corporate employees, aka doctors.

They are going to medicate you, brainwash you, and drain every penny you have.

I think i'd rather be eccentric, how about you?

If I was diagnosed, the last thing I would do would be to take the medication.
I don't mind being eccentric, I rather like it lol

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Its been ages lol, I don't really remember much of what I used to said.
All I can remember is this: rahkta nukta ta slhakha
Thats how you spell it.... I think? lol

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

I would agree that in this case drugs would not be an appropriate solution although doctors may prescribe something.

If this is some sort of anxiety or phobia I believe interpersonal therapy, mindfulness based therapy or cognitive-behaviour therapy would be the most beneficial. If you don't wish to go with some sort of professional help, close friends, siblings or family is a good place to talk about your problems and possibly develop solutions (increased trust, better social skills, love).

Personally I just try to challenge these self destructive thoughts and challenge my fears and develop small goals to improve this part of my life. You can keep your beautiful unique personality but overcome these problems.
edit on 4-6-2011 by ThisIsMyName because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join