It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dance flash mob at Jefferson Memorial, June 4, 2011

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by Annee

The government is not afraid of dance - - that's just stupid.

They're afraid... very!

I do always love your kitty pix.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Blaming the government for everything is immature and irresponsible.

Having all of the responsibility, and all of that power leaves no one else to blame.

What fantasy world do you live in?

The fact is, things are as bad as they are, and getting worse because of government. They have made it increasingly difficult to invest, to manufacture and to do business in this country, they have a need and desire to control and regulate everything, and to continually grow and expand government and it's powers, without realizing that they are legislating this country into tyranny and economic collapse.

Liberty and freedom, supported by a small efficient government is the path out of this mess, the only path to innovation and prosperity for all Americans willing to work for it.

They are there to serve us, not the other way round.

I suppose it is going to take complete collapse and chaos to ultimately enlighten all Americans, and perhaps then, and only then will Americans realize their true power in numbers alone, and finally bring down big government and put this country back on the course the founders set for us all.

Until then, yeah, it's all their fault... Just dance!
edit on 5-6-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

The government is not afraid of dance - - that's just stupid.

They're afraid... very!

I do always love your kitty pix.

Trust the kitty... You know you want to, look into those eyes!

Get up off your asses, and do it!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
And Where the Hell is Matt Harding when you need him?

(Some of you may recall Matt is the viral video star that dances at landmarks all over the world.)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I want to preface my statement with the acknowledgement that I have viewed the video posted on ATS which initially spurred this furor, and I do not direct my comments toward the over-the-top (re)actions of the fellow that was slammed by the park officials, but more to the actions of the couple which garnered the initial attention of the officers.

Admittedly not being present at the time nor having any knowledge of the actions of any of the parties prior to the moments before the video begins, I am at a loss to determine if their "dancing" was meant to be a catalyst for additional display or if they were merely sharing a moment of celebratory emotion engendered by the setting, their happiness in togetherness or some other reason not privy to any other but themselves. I confess that their actions as presented appear to be non-threatening, non-disruptive, and non-offensive to their fellow visitors, yet they were commanded to cease their action in the name of the law.

Why?

Both pro and con arguments have been presented thus far and provide valid food for thought...freedom of expression vs. freedom to enjoy a national memorial in peace. Freedom is the thin edge of a very sharp double-bladed sword, and it's use must be exercised with common sense, caution,and much forethought Any such "weapon" of power, be it steel, stick, stone, or words should.

Decorum does play a part as well, IMO, although to a lesser degree, for what is decorous to one is not necessarily so to another, i.e. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Dare I ask who defines what dancing entails? For the record...

Dance is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music,used as a form of expression, social interaction or presented in a spiritual or performance setting.

Dance may also be regarded as a form of nonverbal communication between humans, and is also performed by other animals (bee dance, patterns of behaviour such as a mating dance). Gymnastics, figure skating and synchronized swimming are sports that incorporate dance, while martial arts kata are often compared to dances. Motion in ordinarily inanimate objects may also be described as dances (the leaves danced in the wind).

Definitions of what constitutes dance are dependent on social, cultural, aesthetic, artistic and moral constraints and range from functional movement (such as folk dance) to virtuoso techniques such as ballet. Dance can be participatory, social or performed for an audience. It can also be ceremonial, competitive or erotic. Dance movements may be without significance in themselves, such as in ballet or European folk dance, or have a gestural vocabulary/symbolic system as in many Asian dances. Dance can embody or express ideas, emotions or tell a story.

Source

Given the above definition, I have been dancing during those long sleepless nights when I held my sick children and grandbabies in my arms, comforting them with rhythmic swaying as I hummed "Amazing Grace", although my feet never moved. Had I been present at the Jefferson Memorial and performed the same actions, I would have been subject to warnings, then possible fines and/or arrest. Even without an ill child in arm, I often notice that I (& many others I have observed) during conversation or other non-active social interaction sway or move rhythmically, often quite unconsciously. The psychology that I've read regarding this phenomena is that it is a form of hypnosis, either aggressive (think a cobra "charming" it's victim) or passive as in self-comforting in a stressful situation or environment (think babe in arms again). Shall those that engage in this form of behaviour be penalized as well?

Given the reactions of the bystanders at the beginning of the video before the couple was engaged by the park officials, most appear oblivious to their actions. Not until the confrontation is underway, do most begin rubbernecking.

Had the confrontation not occurred, I doubt that many in attendance that day would have returned home and told friends and family of the shocking display of a couple dancing at the memorial, conversely many likely would have commented upon a fellow leaping about like a spastic simian in urgent need of a restroom.

Again who defines what dancing is?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
OP that is sooo interesting ive seen millions of flash mobs but this one is wayyy up there for me

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Then link to that video. I don't care what you KNOW. SHOW ME.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

From 3:20 till the end, that one guy is trying his best to piss off the cop..The dancing and demonstrating true freedom is good and all, but when your aim is just to stir up trouble to make something look bad, it makes the real people who are showing their rights the RIGHT way look bad also...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
LET MY PEOPLE DANCE!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
At the 2:03 mark in the video that one guy says "We can stand up to the government and we can take it down"

Hmmm I have a feeling that comment is not going to sit well with the men in black

edit on 5-6-2011 by JustBreathe11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
I have been to the Jefferson Memorial once and it was a most awesome experience...very few people were there, I had the opportunity to read the inscriptions in peace and was very inspired. It is my favorite of all the monuments in DC. To think that there are people who travel thousands of miles to experience that might be interrupted by these Yahoos acting like idiots is repulsive. I am all for freedom...but all the founding fathers were adamant that such freedom comes with grave responsibility.

Irresponsible, mindless flaunting of bad behavior is not a celebration of freedom. It is a confusion of chaos over freedom.

If those people ruined my visit to the memorial, I would be grateful the officers had moved them out.

Decorum is a responsibility of a free and civil society.

ps: Ironically I home school my daughter so she can pursue 20 hrs a week in Dance! I love joyous self expression and freedom.[edit by]edit on 6/5/2011 by Missing Blue Sky because: post script

edit on 6/5/2011 by Missing Blue Sky because: spelling

Applause..and stars for you. I so agree with everything you said , and I'm sure any who had wanted to just quietly read, and meditate at that monument that day, were very disappointed that the whole place was shut down.:

I agree 100% with you guys. I dont want to go to the Jefferson memorial and see parents with small kids they are loud and unruly, No cell phones either in the memorial they get on my nerves. Video cameras are annoying. I dont wanna be on film. People shouldn't fart in the memorial either!!!!

Lets just ban everything that may annoy someone going to the memorial.. Why does it have to be just dancing?

edit on 5-6-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
yes! this is what I like to see!

unfortunately it is a demonstration of power in numbers. when there were 4 people dancing they were all arrested

when there is a large group of people then there is nothing that can be done.

I like seeing our freedoms taken back

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

agree 100% with you guys. I dont want to go to the Jefferson memorial and see parents with small kids they are loud and unruly, No cell phones either in the memorial they get on my nerves. Video cameras are annoying. I dont wanna be on film. People shouldn't fart in the memorial either!!!! Lets just ban everything that may annoy someone going to the memorial.. Why does it have to be just dancing?

Its not so much the dancing,as the amount of people that go there just to prove a point ,and not really interested in reading,or showing their kids what its about. If a bunch of people ate beans for a week,and all went to the memorial to prove they can fart there, I'd say the same thing. If a bunch of people purposely brought their children there, for the sole purpose of them crying , I'd say the same.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Dancing is for sissies and of the Devil. There is no place for it in a civilized country.

There ought to be limits to freedom. That's why this country was founded on genocide and slavery. You all need to learn to respect that and the carved rocks that stand for it. You are free to do what you're told. You better get used to it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS!

Domestic terrorists, they should have all been met by heavily armed law enforcers at the exits, beaten down, cuffed, jailed and sent to Guantanamo.

Just so you know who has the BIGGEST hammer.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, but the way things are going it would not have surprised me one bit. According to the new DHS guidelines, just about anyone can be considered a domestic terrorist these days; there is a reason for that which will become apparent a lot sooner then folks think. Adding dancers to the list will be just as ridiculous as "keeping a close eye" on people with 2nd Amendment, Greenpeace, or Ron Paul bumper stickers. Next thing you know, they'll find some reason to put sous chefs on the list.

But like I said, there is a reason for the government wanting to have the ability to classify anyone they want a terrorist. Anwar al-Awlaki anyone? I TOLD you in my video this was what Obama and his goons want; this is their end game - no charges, no trial, no conviction - they just classify you as a "domestic terrorist" and off you go, to whatever fate they decree. al-Alwaki is just the first, but nobody cares because he's one of the most hated men in the country. Who's next?

Back to the thread topic, I have to agree with Annee and the others who say the Jefferson Memorial should be a place for "solemn reflection." However, when the government puts restrictions on the right of the people to peaceable assemble and protest, it is not only the right of the people, but it is their DUTY to stand up and make their voices heard. Had there not been a regulation/law forbidding dancing at the memorial in the first place, there would have been nothing to protest.

I don't see what these people did as childish at all. I think it was a perfectly appropriate form of protest. It's not like they were there all day, or would have been there all day. Their point would have been made in five to ten minutes and it would have all been over. I highly doubt that it would have "spoiled" anyone's enjoyment of the memorial; and if anyone did have their whole vacation ruined by the hooligans
then they have no comprehension of what the Founders fought for in the first place.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
There is nothing in the world that pisses me off more than flash mobs.
Dance flash mobs being the worst. These people deserve life imprisonment in solitary confinement with only hamburger helper and dog piss to eat/ drink.

edit on 5-6-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

SCOTUS decides what our demeanor
should be when visiting a statue, for pete's sake. Solemn contemplation.
indeed! We are becoming more and more like China everyday. This
is scary.

I agree
orbitbaby!

Welcome to the New World Order.

Read my location........and love your John Williams Waterhouse Avatar, my favorite painter.

For you policemen, security officers and military people, there will come a time when you will be given two choices, just like Hitler's soldiers were given - do you "follow orders" or do you rebel and do what you know is right and go against orders?

The manager that knows he/she is screwing over those under them, because "I am simply doing my job, following orders" is in the same league.............many sell their souls, and the devil is not a demon with horns, a pitchfork and tail.

The devil is often the deciding heads of state, dictating what we can and cannot do.

Personally when I am out in public, I try to act "normal" so as not to upset those around me, but if someone or a bunch of someones want to dance, skip, sing, or do something a little odd and it's not really hurting anyone, who has the right to stop it?

People keep allowing TPTB to clamp down on our freedoms more and more and yes, it's getting to be like China. Pretty soon, we won't have any freedom.

And why?

Because most people either don't see the train coming or just don't care enough to rebel.

At least these people had the guts to protest in a peaceful manner................it's a shame more didn't join them.

Some rude comments were, "boy they sure can't dance".........well to those that made those juvenile, rude comments, these folks had more guts than you, they at least went out there and protested.

Easy to keyboard, "boy they sure can't dance". Let's see some of these keyboard cowards get out there and protest for the right to dance in a public place.
edit on 5-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Wake up..............who do you think now owns our government and many of the world's governments?

Hint: read my location.

Our government for the people and by the people is a illusion, we the people were sold out long ago.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ye are #ing kidding me, right?? The state of the world and the good ould yanks think that dancing is the new revolution??
@ God : Don't bother saving the queen or bless the US, but do save the rest of us from their stupidity!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Wake up..............who do you think now owns our government and many of the world's governments?

Hint: read my location.

Our government for the people and by the people is a illusion, we the people were sold out long ago.

Would you care to back up that claim with actualy proof please.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join