It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dance flash mob at Jefferson Memorial, June 4, 2011

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

Perhaps you should read up on why they were dancing.

They were effectively demonstrating (according to a judge).

So using first amendment rights is repulsive, annoying, and bad form . . . . because it might disturb the peace.

What would Thomas Jefferson say to that?

thats a good question. he wrote that all men are created equal, but owned thousands of slaves. I don't think it is a stretch to think a wealthy elite born into money like TJ would have looked upon the dancers as an annoying distraction of commoners

when the founding fathers spoke of freedom, they moslty meant freedom from taxes being wealthy land owners

they would be horrified by a lot of things in todays america, but don't forget they would also be horrified by the fact women and commoners can vote

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

well then, i suppose we should be happy that we have "free speech zones" in our "free" country then, eh?
You do not have the "right" to not be offended, and everyone has the right of free speech/self expression and the right to assemble. These rights are not "granted" to us by our constitution (bill of rights), but endowed by our creator - the bill of rights merely acknowledges this - it grants no rights, because we're born with them.

First, they came for the dancers, but i wasn't a dancer, so...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Well isn't that mighty nice of them. They gave them 3 warnings this time instead of just tackling them down outta nowhere.

They gave them ALL plenty of warning last time as well, they just refused to listen. ..and that's why they got tackled..you need to watch that first video very carefully,,they were warned..more than once...they were wanting something to happen.

Quite frankly I think these so called"freedom" fighters, look like a bunch of immature kids , who don't have any respect for a national monument. They are using childish tactics to address their issues with the government, and when SHTF ,, they are all pointing fingers at the government.

Really feel for the law enforcement that have to look out for these brats. They don't make the laws, but they have to deal with the people who refuse to follow them. That has gotta bite.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
I have been to the Jefferson Memorial once and it was a most awesome experience...very few people were there, I had the opportunity to read the inscriptions in peace and was very inspired. It is my favorite of all the monuments in DC. To think that there are people who travel thousands of miles to experience that might be interrupted by these Yahoos acting like idiots is repulsive. I am all for freedom...but all the founding fathers were adamant that such freedom comes with grave responsibility.

Irresponsible, mindless flaunting of bad behavior is not a celebration of freedom. It is a confusion of chaos over freedom.

If those people ruined my visit to the memorial, I would be grateful the officers had moved them out.

Decorum is a responsibility of a free and civil society.

ps: Ironically I home school my daughter so she can pursue 20 hrs a week in Dance! I love joyous self expression and freedom.[edit by]edit on 6/5/2011 by Missing Blue Sky because: post script

edit on 6/5/2011 by Missing Blue Sky because: spelling

Applause..and stars for you. I so agree with everything you said , and I'm sure any who had wanted to just quietly read, and meditate at that monument that day, were very disappointed that the whole place was shut down.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS!

Domestic terrorists, they should have all been met by heavily armed law enforcers at the exits, beaten down, cuffed, jailed and sent to Guantanamo.

Just so you know who has the BIGGEST hammer.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
They gave them ALL plenty of warning last time as well, they just refused to listen. ..and that's why they got tackled..you need to watch that first video very carefully,,they were warned..more than once...they were wanting something to happen.

Hey don't confuse things with facts.

Hysterical drama is much more fun.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISeeTheFnords
reply to post by Annee

well then, i suppose we should be happy that we have "free speech zones" in our "free" country then, eh?

"Free Speech Zones"?

Is that in reference to spoiled brats being told NO - - that this one specific place is designated to solemn reverence?

Get over it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Yeah. They failed hard, IMO.

Which one of the people protesting were you? None of them? Then you have no room to criticize. ANY one who bothered to show up did more for our democracy that those who sat on their butts and bitched about other people not doing enough.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Domestic terrorists, they should have all been met by heavily armed law enforcers at the exits, beaten down, cuffed, jailed and sent to Guantanamo.

Just so you know who has the BIGGEST hammer.

Yeah well - - this Hammer dance was done in basically Hollywood.

And there were cops called. They just didn't get caught.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

Greetings! While I kind of agree with you, to be upset about 3 minutes of people dancing to show our freedom by a statue of a guy who helped set that up for us, well, that seems a little..... (fill in the blank with the most unoffensive word you can think of). I was quite happy with how it went. And so were they. I had commented on another thread pertaining to the first Adam incident, that if they had just let them dance for 3 minutes, proving they could do so without being destructive, they would be done with it and leave. That's exactly what they did. I bet it would have never gotten 'loud' as it did if Adam didn't egg it on. That part I disagree with. He was suppose to be there to peacefully prove that the law was ridiculous. It very well could have gotten out of hand again. I'm glad it didn't. I'm sure it's because someone higher up gave the order "Let them dance, they'll get tired of it. If they get loud, close the Memorial." Done and Done.
Handled well by both parties.

And when I was able to visit they Memorial in 1998 there were about a million students there on field trips- and it wasn't quiet. It was actually kind of horrible. But there's no law against unruly children.

Enjoy your day!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I thought that was fantastic.... they didn't let it lie and they went back, bigger and stronger and danced for longer.

It's good to see that they're actually doing something and that they're prepared to speak up and protest for something they feel strongly about.

It's easy to sit in your chair and bitch about people who are doing something.... while doing nothing yourself.

Even if people don't like the guy, the group or the cause, I say give them credit for at least doing something.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Those people were OBVIOUSLY annoyed that they could not shop in peace

Nice vid

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I danced in my city hall. Thanks.

With the economy as it is, I barely have money to survive.

I did donate to the cause, financially.

You know . . . I love these responses:

You are not black, so you have no room to criticize.

You are not rich, so you have no room to criticize.

You weren't there so you can't criticize.

I have every damn right to criticize.

Welcome to America.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I have every damn right to criticize.

Welcome to America.

Well, welcome to America right back atcha, because we have every right to criticize you for criticizing.

Im sure you did dance at your city hall. Odd you didnt mention that up front when you were announcing how much better you would have done everything.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Yeah, well, it must be difficult to find people in shiny gold balloon pants....

Seriously, the government is afraid of dance for a reason, maybe this is the ultimate way to rally the people behind the cause of freedom and liberty.... We've had to put up with their song and dance for decades... Perhaps it is time to show them ours.

HAMMER TIME!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Please tell me what exactly are you fighting for?

Really - what?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Yeah, well, it must be difficult to find people in shiny gold balloon pants....

Seriously, the government is afraid of dance for a reason, . .

It was well orchestrated.

The government is not afraid of dance - - that's just stupid.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here is what the founding fathers SAY:

Liberty is not License to do whatever you want. No, as a citizen you agree to codes and mores of the community.

"[D]emocracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few." John Adams, An Essay on Man's Lust for Power, August 29, 1763

We must be a virtuous people above our private passions:

"Public virtue cannot exist in a nation without private, and public virtue is the only foundation of republics. There must be a positive passion for the public good, the public interest, honour, power and glory, established in the minds of the people, or there can be no republican government, nor any real liberty: and this public passion must be superior to all private passions." John Adams, letter to Mercy Warren, April 16, 177

Liberty is not anarchy:

"[D]emocracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few." John Adams, An Essay on Man's Lust for Power, August 29, 1763

Deny Ignorance...to dance through the memorial instead of to read the inscriptions and remember Jefferson would be to Ignore its purpose-or ot be Ignorant of its purpose:

"Public virtue cannot exist in a nation without private, and public virtue is the only foundation of republics. There must be a positive passion for the public good, the public interest, honour, power and glory, established in the minds of the people, or there can be no republican government, nor any real liberty: and this public passion must be superior to all private passions." John Adams, letter to Mercy Warren, April 16, 177

Manners matter...the democracy stands on them:

"It is the manners and spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution." Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia Query 19, 1781

Laws should be obeyed-to avoid anarchy:

"If mankind were to resolve to agree in no institution of government, until every part of it had been adjusted to the most exact standard of perfection, society would soon become a general scene of anarchy, and the world a desert. " Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 65, March 7, 1788

Be respectable and observe order:

"No government, any more than an individual, will long be respected without being truly respectable; nor be truly respectable, without possessing a certain portion of order and stability. Alexander Hamilton and Alexander Hamilton, " Federalist No. 62, 1788

If this were a no dancing in a post office - I would agree that is an infringement of personal liberty. But this ordinance protects the solemnity of the memorial.

edit on 6/5/2011 by Missing Blue Sky because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/5/2011 by Missing Blue Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The government is not afraid of dance - - that's just stupid.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a372c2c34519.jpg[/atsimg]

They're afraid... very!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Social laws tend to be brought about because PEOPLE abuse privilege.

Blaming the government for everything is immature and irresponsible.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join