It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me choose a video game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
OK, so I am bored...I am halfway considering watching television...which means, time for a new video game.

I am just unsure what to get...so, will let you lot give me your recommendations and see if anything sticks out.

Current games I love:

Fallout NV (just fantastic...that, FO3, Oblivion...the whole concept of the freeform world and any path you want to take. That mixed with the highly modifiable nature and you got yourself endless gameplay. (The mods really do make the difference also)

Fable 3: I like the concept, but the gameplay, graphics, and overall "feel" sucks. I R serious gamer, I need serious game!

L4D2: Zombies zombies zombies

Homefront: A exciting 12 minute game

Portal/2: I play it for science, you monster.

Dragon Age 2: Bit slower than DA1, but still ok. I miss Morrigan (and have a crush on Claudia Black anyhow)

Assassins Creed 2/brohood: just waiting for revelations to come out now...pretty epic cliffhanger.

Medieval 2: With both Stainless Steel or BBB mods. (mods...love mods..)

So, thats at least the feel of what I am seeking in a game...something to build, something to roleplay in, perhaps a bit of fighting, strategy, more roleplay, mods, etc..

I am looking forward to:
Duke Nukem
Dead Island
Skyrim!!!!! (elder scrolls)

What do you recommend, or what is in your top 5 (if my list is simialiarish to your tastes..I may see something I haven't tried)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
LA Noire. I can't suggest this game enough. It's a great game.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I like BioShock & BioShock 2 they are cheap now too!

xxx

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot

Now out for PC yet...(still waiting on red dead redemption frankly). and don't own/will never purposefully own a console again

But ya, that game looked really effing great.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
I like BioShock & BioShock 2 they are cheap now too!

xxx

Never tried them...whats the general premise, and what are a few points going for them? (is it like dead space 2? that game was alright, but no replay value)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Your tastes run the same as mine, it seems.

I've been on a Fallout NV kick for a while now, sine I have it HEAVILY modded (Love NVamp, FOOK and A World of Pain lol)

Just coming out now is the north american re-release of Hellgate: Global. It's in closed beta testing this weekend and is really easy to get into. Plus, will be free-to-play
Great game, I loved it before and they've done some good changes to it.

You might also look into Borderlands, the Bioshock games, and Mass Effect games. Both Mass Effects are AWESOME.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina
Your tastes run the same as mine, it seems.

I've been on a Fallout NV kick for a while now, sine I have it HEAVILY modded (Love NVamp, FOOK and A World of Pain lol)

I have (among a bajillion mods) the requiem for the wastelands mod..aka, got both fallout 3 and FONV merged into one game...travel to DC, travel to Vegas, do all the missions, etc.
its still a little bit buggy in some areas, but would say its about 85% done...very playable, but you may become best friends with the console commands to get past a couple stages of the FO3 main quest for now.
Still the bonus of that is, you can use any FO3 mod in NV

can't say enough great things about Bethsda frankly...they are exceptional in their products..not that they make these fantastic plotlines...but the openness that they allow in their games = totally sold, will buy everything they put out under a similar format just to show appreciation.

Just coming out now is the north american re-release of Hellgate: Global. It's in closed beta testing this weekend and is really easy to get into. Plus, will be free-to-play
Great game, I loved it before and they've done some good changes to it.

Never heard of it...will check it out

You might also look into Borderlands, the Bioshock games, and Mass Effect games. Both Mass Effects are AWESOME.

Borderlands never really appealed to me (too cartoonie perhaps...probably why I never got into TF2 either...too much chuckle, not enough grim drama or realism)
Mass effect..well, I played 1...I got lost and wandered for like an hour...so I got turned off of it I guess. Also, I like those types of games somewhat...typically some excellent storytelling, but I always find it a bit too linear for my overall desire.
I mean, I get it...its a story, you are taking part in a ongoing linear story...just..I donno. games like fallout and such have spoiled me and stroked my adhd mindset while in game.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Try World of Warcraft.
Once you beat it come back and let us know how it went.

Really I am waiting too for the next DeusEx or Thief... Gonna be waiting I fear.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Final Fantasy 6 - the greatest game of all time

Time to dig out the old SNES
edit on 4-6-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Witcher 2 maybe?

It is kinda similar like Oblivion.

Or maybe Hunted.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by doomy
Witcher 2 maybe?

It is kinda similar like Oblivion.

Or maybe Hunted.

Actually, I have been trying witcher 2. it has possibilities actually.
Its a bit like dragon age...has some serious elements to it (which I like), and plenty of adult themes...but sadly, until they open up modding by releasing some sort of sdk, then it is going to remain mediocre.

its nothing like oblivion however...not even remotely close.

Hunted? whats that about?

(oh, and to the idiot whom said WoW, may you die from the bites of 1000 camel fleas in your nether-regions!!!)

A new thief? now that perks my interest...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The plot is you are in a Utopian Secret Society at the Bottom of the ocean called RAPTURE.
It has an Atlantean Motif behind it all set in post WW2 time frame. You have guns and plasmids which are special powers or drugs extracted from sea slugs. It led to the downfall of the society which is now infested with 'splicers' who gene splice to gain power but have been driven crazy by it. Your goal is to figure out what the hell happened and unlock the secret of the Little sisters (cloned girls) and the Big Daddies (their protectors).
1st version is awesome in many ways, it took me to a different world while I played it.
2nd version has better play and graphics (your now a Big Daddy) but lacks in that scare factor since most like me have already played the 1st.

Bioshock 3: Infinite
edit on 6/4/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot

Loving La Noire on Xbox.

best game around at the moment.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Brink is a good new game out adding parkour to the mix in a first person shooter and multiple classes as well as co operative play..don't think its out for the pc though...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Wow, now I know why I had such a thing going for that character in Dragon Age, Claudia Black... mmmm...
God, I'm such a geek.
I love all of the games you mentioned. Have you ever tried any of the Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights games? They are a bit of a downgrade graphically from everything you mentioned, but if you can't find much else, at least you won't be subjecting yourself to watching TV.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

So, would you recommend getting B1 before B2, or is B2 its own game that doesn't require B1 to understand overall.

like, You can play Assassins Creed 2 without A1. however, no possible way to make sense of Brotherhood unless you played 2...would be a stupid and useless game overall.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
OMG! Any respectable gamer should play Bioshock 1 (start at the beginning). Would you kindly go get that game.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is quite epic as well.

edit on 4-6-2011 by QuantumDisciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Yeah, B1 first to be-able to understand the world you've been placed into.

Maybe B3 will be one that needs no back story because it's a whole new story unto itself.

But B1 and B2 are sort of linked by the city itself.

Though your gonna have some hours ahead of you.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Get Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and check out the mods on moddb.

Check out all these weapons:
Super Mod Pack Weapons & Equipment

Or try the newest Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Not as many mods out yet but still a great game.

This probably won't be out for a bit but check out Hawken.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
First for what system are you looking to get a game, or is it for computer?

If you have a ps3 one game I would recommend is demon souls, its a game that though it came out some time ago and the character creation models suck, and I beat it more then a couple of times. It's still the game I come back to and play once in a while. I even got mass effect 2 a couple of months back when it came out for the ps3, played 20 hours into the game and then I just kind of lost interest and stopped playing it, and started playing demon souls again.

Other games that have stuck with me for some time are, super street fighter 4, call of duty any would do, but black ops is were its at, and marvel vs capcom 3. Bio shock like others have said is pretty good game if you have not played it, mass effect is pretty good though I just ain't into it as much.

For the 360 the only game I would play is gears of war 2, though part 3 is coming in a few months. Other then that i cant think of anything else off the top of my head.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join