It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by blamethegreys
The Antikythera Mechanism completely solved, if you haven't seen it before
Originally posted by sdrawkcabII
...And we still can't rebuild the Great Pyramid. Smh
The Human Body
* The average human brain has about 100 billion nerve cells.
* Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles (274 km) per hour.
* Your stomach needs to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it would digest itself.
Human Body Facts
The Human Brain
* Your brain comes out to play at night: You’d think that your brain is more active during the day, when the rest of your body is. But it’s not. Your brain is more active when you sleep.
* Your brain operates on 10 watts of power: It’s true: The amazing computational power of your brain only requires about 10 watts of power to operate.
* Your brain can store everything: Technically, your brain has the capacity to store everything you experience, see, read or hear. However, the real issue is recall — whether you can access that information.
The total storage capacity of all computers in the world is on par with all the information stored in an adult human’s DNA. When you consider that there are nearly seven billion of us, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to invent a machine that can compete with that. All in all, that makes me feel pretty good about being a human.
Also, the next time someone points out that our DNA is only 1% different than that of a chimpanzee, now I have some perspective on just what a giant amount of information that represents.
Originally posted by jessejamesxx
I guess for us to debate if intelligent design exists, we must establish what intelligent design is. If you're referencing biblical story, that's absurd. We didn't *poof* into existence.
If you mean that maybe something created all of the constants and laws of physics & the giant ball of mass that the universe started out as, then maybe you're onto something I can agree with. *If* there is an intelligent designer, he just set everything up to go. He caused the 'big bang' (or whatever theory you subscribe to) & put evolution into motion. Pretty much no one can disagree with the possibility, and it concedes with both sides of the argument.
The problem I have with the intelligent design idea, is that everything in human history that we don't understand, we assign to a higher power.
We simply don't understand the science of how life could appear 'out of thin air', so a higher being must have done it. These things happened just a couple hundred years ago, and probably are still happening now somewhere. We aren't above it - We're barely out of the jungle.
The analogy of the junkyard is a poor one IMO. When a giant mass explodes, whichever temperature it explodes, creates what density the atoms are (think table of elements). That temperature creates brand new atoms within the spectrum of density (I'm rough on my chemistry, forgive my vocabulary) We have no idea of all of the different chemical reactions between these atoms, maybe some of them could create the beginnings of life?
Infinity is a huge number that I don't think you're grasping...
Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by Biigs
I see what point you are trying to make about the computer components but that is the same as saying the engine should be removed because it consists of 100's of different parts: induction systems, cyclinder assembly, exhuast systems etc etc.