It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going away for the weekend to sky gaze. Any suggestions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Good day everyone.

Next weekend I will be leaving the packed, smoggy, light-polluted city of Toronto for a small mini vacation to cottage country up in the Muskokas. I thought that this would be the opportune moment to watch the skies (because in Toronto, it's damn near impossible to see the stars).

Now I am not expecting to see anything, but this is a rare opportunity for me to be able to gaze at the sky. I currently own a Samsung PL65 digital camera (the best I could afford at the time on a student salary) so even if I did see something, I probably wouldn't be able to capture it.

Any ATS'ers who sky gaze that could offer me suggestions? Should I try to find a better camera and bring it? I know a person who has a video camera that shoots night vision, would that be beneficial to bring?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
A digital slr camera would be benificial but not essential. If possible try and shoot with a low iso and wide aperature in low light conditions (a lower f number).
As for night vison I wouldn't personally bother as I have never been satisfied with image quality.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
yeah what above poster said, you'd probably want a tripod as well taking photos in the night is tricky without a digital slr camera

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If you're taking requests: could you look in Virgo to the west of Spica right where Saturn is unbelievably close to one of Virgos' stars and see what you see and report back? Look west of Spica, southwest of Arcturus and directly above the most elevated star in Corvus (which is a tweaked box shape.) Much appreciated - my viewing situation here is hopeless and I can't get away.

top topics

join