It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Worm Die Off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
A mass worm die-off is being reported in Ohio.

modernsurvivalblog.com... d-thousands-of-dead-worms-plague-ohio/

I found a video of the phenomena on a news site

www.wlwt.com...

An expect says that worm die-offs are common, and can be caused by heavy rain or acidic soil. Problem is that it hadn't rained a whole lot in the region in the last week and the area is too broad to be acidic soil. Then it's postulated that it's because of mating season, and the worms just get stuck on the sidewalk in the heat.

I normally wouldn't think of anything about something like this, because I've seen worms dead like that on the sidewalk, but not to that density and that widespread. With other animal deaths, there could be another not obvious cause.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I wonder why there is a particular concentration of worm die-offs around cincinatti?

a possible explanation I can think of off-hat is chem trailing activity is bound to be higher around higher density populated areas, chem trailing affects the pH of the soil and if this area is known to have a pH that is marginally favourable/unfavourable to the worm population, then something like chem trailing could have a significant effect.

This is pure speculation

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

probably from all the GMO's...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
air-borne chemical pollution seeping into the ground (reacting with other elements in the earth and creating a toxin from chem-trails?

or

Is there gas fracking close by polluting the groundwater?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

To my knowledge, there is hydrofracking in Ohio, but the area is not particularly aligned with with the worm deaths.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I kind of expected to see a lot of birds gobbling up these free meals but the only bird they showed picked one up and dropped it. Are these worms being eaten or are the predators avoiding them?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

i know there is something called diatamsious dirt(i dont think im spelling it right) that can be used to kill worms, it could also be pesticides, worms are sensitve animals so they can be affected by chemicals easier

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I've witnessed this happening for more than 15 years. It used to happen every year at my mother's old house, and it seems to happen in areas that are heavily developed subdivisions with lots of lawn bordered by sidewalks.

While I've seen worms come out because of waterlogged soils and mole activity, nothing compares to the crispy-curly carpet of dried worms by the hundreds during these mass die-offs.

They never seem to be the big night-crawler worms, but the smaller earthworms.

I have often wondered if perhaps stray voltage from underground utilites could be causing this, since these neighborhoods are all equipped with power from underground lines.

I've never seen this happen out where we are, although we have lawns and some sidewalks,we are out in the country and our power comes in overhead on power poles.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
reply to post by satron

i know there is something called diatamsious dirt(i dont think im spelling it right) that can be used to kill worms, it could also be pesticides, worms are sensitve animals so they can be affected by chemicals easier

Yea or they call it DE powder. It naturally formed sediment rock that has silica in it so small that it acts like glass cutting the insect or worms making them bleed out. It's also used for filtration medium in swimming pools. I guess a lab would have to study the worms to see if Diatomaceous earth caused this. Worms shouldn't be the only thing affected by DE though. Grasshoppers, ticks, fleas, and every other bug that crawls through could be affected.

new topics

top topics

join