It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did society lose common sense?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I made this thread in an effort to get more of a consensus amongst my peers as to where and when did we as a whole lose our common sense? By no means do I speak for literally all humans, but it seems when you take a walk through the city, and you look at just everyday decisions people make there is no thinking behind it. Something even as simple as moving your automobile forward three feet so the auto behind you may make its right hand turn. It seems as though society just doesn't use their brain, or if they do they are too afraid to act upon the deviation from the norm that they may see their neighbor doing. This is a very very simple example but something so simple repeats daily all over the world.

People just seem in a daze. If you study humans a bit, the avg person you see has this melancholy daze on their face. I'm not sure if it's depression, if they are on anti depressants, but it just seems like each individual is simply stuck in a small bubble and anything that may not be inside that bubble of work family home is just not important and intolerable.

Humans tend to be worried about obamacare but not worry about military spending. People tend to worry about Kim kardashian and Charlie been instead of a disaster in japan that will affect their children. It just all seems like as a whole humans want to be better but deep down inside they just won't change.

But why? Is it just too easy to not care? I don't expect a literal answer but more so a discussion..

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Krystian

That answer is an easy one...

Humans by nature are selfish and self absorbed (although far and few between there are those beautiful rarities).

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I don't think it explains all of it but I'm sure that the fact that so much of our activity these days is automated through machines , and that we can passively sit in front of the TV instead of having to create our own entertainment has a lot to do with it. It's as if we send our minds into a kind of half-sleep and let the inner robot take over. The more people do this, the harder it becomes for folk to fully wake themselves up again. Our masters like it this way because the more lethargic we become the more likely we are to put up with their crap.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

well tv(media in general) effectively brainwashes people, common sense stems from people actually thinking for themselves.

but most have allowed their thinking process to be put on cruise control by the tv, and their analists, commentators and regurgitators of pre formed state aproved opinions.

most people get unconsciously told what to care about, what to buy and what to feel.

disconnect the box and get in touch with what really matters, common sense may look to far away for some, but its never trully lost.

just stop feeding your brain with waves at a frequency that leave you very up for sugestion, also known as mind control.

If you experience "mind fog" after watching television, you are not alone. Studies have shown that watching television induces low alpha waves in the human brain. Alpha waves are brainwaves between 8 to 12 HZ. and are commonly associated with relaxed meditative states as well as brain states associated with suggestibility. While Alpha waves achieved through meditation are beneficial (they promote relaxation and insight), too much time spent in the low Alpha wave state caused by TV can cause unfocussed daydreaming and inability to concentrate. Researchers have said that watching television is similar to staring at a blank wall for several hours.. I enjoy watching television on occasion, and this article is not meant to suggest that people should never watch TV. However, it is only fair that people understand what happens to the brain each time it is exposed to television.

www.associatedcontent.com...

plus tv viewers have a sense of grouping as they are quick to react and defend anything that goes against what they have been subconsciously sugested that it true.

they will not care and discredit anyone who does not follow its trends or manias, reassuring themselves they were programed the right way therefore being right.

i personally have fun talking to tv eaters about world subjects and have them confused with my ability to talk about anything or even antecipate the news they are gonna watch in their box while making them realize i don't watch tv as they do.

therefore under their mindset i should be numb, uneducated and unaware of the world at large.

when in fact is mass media consumers that most commonly display those symptoms.

as for me i just tell them im psychic lol

that being still having what i can call common sense.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I having been asking my self the same question. I am 44 and the world has changed so much I do not recognize it. The biggest changes I think have came about in the last 20 years or so. In that time common sense has just evaporated. It is scary to see what is going on. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone some times. I am starting to think the whole human race is going insane.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They never had it! People do stupid sh!+ all the time and never think about the consequences. Common sense these days is a superpower and if you don't have it you are SOL. You can't loose something you never had. There's a homeless man that has been standing on the curb for twenty years, my mom remembers him from when she was a kid.

He walked up to me a few weeks back and told me he recently lost his house. I asked simply. "You've been homeless for twenty years, how can you loose something you haven't had ?" he walked away after that.

But it's the moral of the story, people just don't have it.

edit on 4-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
My take one this is that people have not lost their common sence as much as they have lost their common courtesy.
Alot of people just do not take others into consideration anymore. They are too self absorbed.
This is something I have noticed myself doing and I am currently trying to change it.
Just small things, like holding the door for someone, helping a neighbor cut grass, saying "excuse me" if I pump into someone, and smiling at others. Not sure how it makes them feel but it does wonders for me.
Just saying,
Quad

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
When you look at the history of mankind, the earth is a brutal place, but yes, many are in a daze,

it's the cell phones

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Tv may have something to do with it but it feels deeper than that... Its almost like a general linking of mindlessness, and I just can't seem to understand what pleasures these people have in life...

I guess I just can't grasp the psyche of an avg human, you wake up...repeat yesterday and you are happy with it...there is no deviation (even in the way your brain works) from day to day...how does one live that life and be content?

I simply cannot grasp how brainwash America is and they genuinely don't care until it directly affects the person...even something as crucial as the japan reactors melting...rough estimate of 9/10 people have zero clue that it's not even contained yet let alone it's seeping into air and water...

Is it really easier to let a collective group such as a governing body think for you than to think for yourselves?

I know this sounds like a rant but I am genuinely hoping to figure out how an avg human thinks so that I can better approach an avg human when seed planting...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana

Humans by nature are selfish and self absorbed (although far and few between there are those beautiful rarities).

This is true but there has to be a deeper explanation...what actually separates the selfish so to speak from the people who get it?

Do the masses genuinely not understand and are ignorant or is it something that cannot be changed even when conscious of such an attitude?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I know this might sound totally ridiculous but I think the rot set in when schools allowed in the use of calculators back in the 80s.
Math is the one thing that if you have to do it on a regular basis manually, keeps your brain active and alive.
And the whole world is run on Mathematics. I believe it's the basis of intelligence.
So naturally taking away the ability to reason and deduct ( skills learned through Maths that are very relevant to everyday life in general) and rely on an object to do the thinking for you, the calculator, the areas of the brain to do with reasoning and logic are under developed and those neural connections aren't being made from a young age.

Since the 80s we've had even more gadgets to do our thinking for us, so it's an accumlative affect over the last 25 years. We truly have almost been zombified.
It's kind of scary to think sometimes how much worse it's going to be with the next few generations.
It could be the beginning of our devolvement.

edit on 4-6-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Society lost common sense when the conditions of our reality surpassed our social and biological capacities.

Put three rats in a cage and they still act as normal rats. Ten rats...things are getting tight, but behavior is still recognizably ratlike. Now try cramming 200 rats in the same cage: if it can be done, whatever results occurr are likely to be bizzare and far beyond the norms of standard rat behavior.

edit on 4-6-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Society has always been like this. There was never a time when the entire populace was bright eyed and alert. Sure there are dazed people today but there are also brilliant people just like every period throughout history. Today is no different than 1000 years ago in this regard.

new topics

top topics

join