It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Heat in the South and Midwest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
As reported by the Weather Channel website, we are having a record breaking heat wave already for the first few days of June here in the south and midwest US:

www.weather.com...

I also wanted to start a thread where ATSers could post how hot the temperature is and the accompanying heat index for their location, what are the warnings in your area and what precautions are you taking to deal with the heat. Here in Memphis, the weatherman thinks we will shatter the 100 degree mark. I have quite a few animals I care for so I will be tending to those that are outdoors to make sure they have continuously cool water, fans and shade to keep cool.

This year has been unbelievable so far as the weather is concerned, our planet is continuing to demonstrate how out of balance nature is and the resulting extremes in weather. Cataclysmic tornados here in the US, worldwide devastating earthquakes, and here we go with the heat wave and I would bet somewhere on the planet heavy rains and mudslides will occur. I would also love to know if there is any extreme weather occuring south of the equator. Everyone take precautions and stay safe!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
i know here in Louisiana it has been repeatedly over 100 with heat indexs upwards of 116! no rain for several weeks now. all in all a normal La summer. just a little early. not much you can do. work in the mornings and evenings and try to drink lots of water lol.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

I live in southwest Texas, prior to 2 days ago for 7days the temp soared to 103&104. Last year we has 1 day that hhir 128. According to the NOAA forecast the Midwest,southwest will have record heat. Also where I live we are suppose to get the monsoons, last year it all but passed us by. NOAA predicts a total of at least 3 years drought and record heats.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

American southwest. Last winter -6F to +93F in about 16 days. Already 104F in May. Rainfall ytd .09 inch.
Pretty windy.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I live in CT and it seems we no longer have a Spring. We go from 55 degree weather right into 80+ degree weather with humidity. The past couple days have been "Spring-like", but I remember Memorial Day being cool and breezy, not 86 degrees and humid.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Wasn't there a thread a few days ago on how abnormally COLD it was for this time of the year? Maybe I'm getting old?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
No Spring here...from winter to summer in a matter of weeks...I live on top of a mountain in N. Ga. It's usually 10 to 20 degrees cooler up here...Not so these days.

Posted: Thursday, July 22nd 2010 at 2:45pm
Hot weather continues in N. Georgia and elsewhere

- It may be hot in North Georgia this week, but it's even steamier in middle Georgia.

Weather Channel Meteorologist Jennifer Narramore said south of Atlanta will be the hottest area in the state.

"The temperatures and the humidity levels will be a little bit higher especially as you get further south toward the Eatonton area, heading down through Macon and just south of Columbus," she said.

Temperatures in North Georgia are predicted to be in the low to upper 90s, but the heat index will make it feel very close to 100 degrees.
www.accessnorthga.com...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
In California, it is cooler and wetter than usual. Our highs have been in the 70's lately usually there on the 90-100 range this time of year. Normally this time of year, it's done raining, it's raining right now as I type this. Coincidentally todays paper has a write up about the whole situation, here's some of what they had to say:

Modesto can expect more rain this weekend and temperatures 20 degrees less than normal, with more mountain snow. "It's what I call global weirding," said Bill Patzert, a climatologist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. "This has been a very strange year all over the planet." What's going on? First of all, this spring's weather is not unprecedented, just uncommon. California has had wet, cold spring weather before, notably in 1983, a year that produced record Sierra snow. This year, the blame falls on a complex interaction between La Niña and a phenomenon called a negative Arctic oscillation, Patzert and others said. La Niña is marked by a cooling of equatorial waters in the Pacific, the opposite of El Niño. This pattern means an equal chance of wet or dry weather. What made this year so wet was the negative Arctic oscillation. Typical conditions make the Arctic colder than themidlatitudes, which include theUnited States and Europe. This is a positive oscillation. Negative conditions flip this around, making the Arctic warmer than usual and pushing cold air and a vigorous jet stream down into the United States and Europe. Read more: www.modbee.com...

Source:www.modbee.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sempul

I lived in Louisiana most of my life (New Orleans), and I can remember almost on a daily basis it would usually rain in the afternoons when the temperature was at it's hottest. That it hasn't rained in weeks is unusual for the area. I know everyone there is used to the heat and humidity, but I don't think I am able to recall the temperatures getting up to 100 in early June, usually this happened in late June, July and August. I do remember by August it was so unbearablly hot and needing to get the heck out of there for a vacation somewhere cooler!

Stay safe and hydrated!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Global what?

Anyone that says there isn't man made global warming and climate change is not being realistic and if it is a natural cycle shouldn't we just roll with it and quit complaining?
Just say the planet was due for a big temperature change to herald in a new age.
Don't you imagine global emissions would just jump start it?
Or like a homeopathic med - a little dose of man made climate change goes a long way toward rushing in the impending climate change that might otherwise have taken thousands of years - we accomplish in a 100..

Just saying; because I hate to hear people say climate change is a hoax while everyone is complaining about the weather.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

I didn't see it, and when I checked the Fragile Earth forum I didn't see a thread about the heat or cold. I will go off and look for it though, maybe it's in a different forum. Some of the posts on this thread shared the same information about cooler temps in their area. Whether it's excessive heat or cold, it's still weather out of balance and the subject intrigues me.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I wasn't really trying to debate the why's and how's we arrived at the weather extremes we are having, just that it is occuring and how we can best deal with it. I do understand your position though, as I have always felt that the damage we are doing to the planet is exacerbating global warming more so than it occuring in a natural cycle. Thanks for your response!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'm in the good old Sunshine State, Florida and it's been insanely hot and humid here and we havent even hit our two hottest months yet, July and August! I can only imagine how those will turn out.

Just walking to your car is uncomfortable, the humidity makes it worse. Going to the beach isn't refreshing because there are jelly fish every where right now and the breeze doesn't help all that much when you have the humidity.

This is definitely a hot summer and we also had a really cold winter.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
reply to post by newcovenant

I wasn't really trying to debate the why's and how's we arrived at the weather extremes we are having, just that it is occuring and how we can best deal with it. I do understand your position though, as I have always felt that the damage we are doing to the planet is exacerbating global warming more so than it occuring in a natural cycle. Thanks for your response!

Oh I know and I certainly agree that this is a hot topic!
It is already getting hot and dry in south Florida and the smell of brush fires and smoke stinging your eyes is something we've got used to. Happy to oblige!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As Bananarama sang in the 80s'

"It's a cruel, cruel summer"

And summer ain't even technically hit yet

I remember last year, here in Memphis, we saw heat indexes hit in the 120's. Yes, we are in for it folks.

Stay cool!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
As Bananarama sang in the 80s'

"It's a cruel, cruel summer"

And summer ain't even technically hit yet

I remember last year, here in Memphis, we saw heat indexes hit in the 120's. Yes, we are in for it folks.

Stay cool!!!

Hey ButterCookie,

I remember last summer here in Memphis was brutally hot also. I even took a pic of my laptop screen with my cell phone that showed the Weather Channel local weather map with the heat index of 130....unfortunately, that phone died last week, but I do remember that those temperatures were occuring in July and not early June. The weather guy on channel 5 said its a really bad sign to have this much heat this early in summer, and that once the heavy air and heat build in like it's doing, it's likely going to stay throughout the summer. Take care and be safe!!

Justsaying

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Oddly enough, here in Tallahassee, FL, we have been having record heat, and then this afternoon, we were the coolest spot in the country? Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 98 again though!

Very, very dry also. During this afternoon's little thundershower, it rained lightly be steady for about 30 minutes, when I went outside afterwards, the ground was dry! Roads, and grass, and trees were wet, but the ground just sucked up the water and begged for more.

My little stream and pond by my house haven't had any water in several weeks, and they very rarely dry up, and never this time of year.

I fear that in order for our "average" rainfall to even out, we are going to have to get some big tropical storms before the end of the summer. Everything else this year has been "record setting" so why not the hurricanes as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Here's the thread It's the End of May and 43 degrees
The thread discusses how the PNW has been so cool and rainy that it feels like winter. Spring didn't really arrive until yesterday. Yesterday and today was lovely.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Another Louisiana resident reporting in, today it was 99* with a heat index of 104*. I was outside all day in a long sleeve dress shirt and business slacks. It was brutal and definitely too early in the year.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I've been to Tallahassee many times, and had considered moving there at one point. Unfortunately, especially for the gulf coast, about the only thing that will save us right now from the heat is a tropical storm to knock this high pressure system out of the south. But since the entire gulf coast is in a drought, that might be the best thing that can happen. Here is another link to the Weather Channel's report on the extreme heat and the dome of high pressure parked over the south. It also explains why the west and northwest are having unusually cool temps:

www.weather.com...

There doesn't seem to be much tropical weather devoloping right now, so it looks like we are all stuck with this hot weather until something shifts. Here is another link to my favorite tropical weather site. When I lived down in New Orleans and monitored tropical weather development and hurricanes on a daily basis, I found this site had some of the most comprehensive satellite images, local information, and tracking and forecast models of all the weather sites online:

www.crownweather.com...

That really makes me sad that your area is in such a drought. I not only think of the people that are affected, but also the animals, plants and crops that will struggle to survive. Thank you for responding, stay cool and hydrated!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join