It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How disinformation is spread across ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
First rant thread for me, I'm excited.

I have seen this countless times, and I'm sure you people have as well. Someone will post something, or start a thread about something that turns out to be horribly misleading, if not an outright LIE.

Then, other people will use this false information to further their own theories or ideas. I find it a bit depressing that false information gets passed on so easily here on ATS. Considering the site's motto is "deny ignorance" I'd expect members to be on a crusade to find truth, not to perpetuate incorrect facts.

Here is a perfect example I saw today. THIS thread was posted today, saying the following:

China Has Divested 97 Percent of Its Holdings in U.S. Treasury Bills

This was actually the second thread on this same thing, HERE is the first thread on the issue.

Now I realize that it is ATS policy when posting an article, to copy the article's title word for word. So it's not exactly the OP's fault for the false information, but I would hope that people would check the facts before posting fake information. What's the danger in this? Well I'll show you.

THIS thread was posted today, and in the thread the following was said, with a link to the previous article:

China has dropped most of its US treasury bill holdings: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did you catch that? Do you see the quick spread of outright false information? Personally I feel it's a pretty big issue that ATS members will spread things like this without first even checking on the legitimacy of it.

In both threads, there were members who were kind enough to point out the TRUTH. In this case the truth is that China sold off 97% of short term bonds, and NOT 97% of all their US debt. HUGE difference.

It is not my intent to single out any posters that are brought up, if you take it that way my apologies. I am simply using them as an example of how someone posts something that is false or misleading, and quickly the bunk information spreads through ATS. If we as a community strive for truth, we really need to work on this problem. First step, is to check the facts before posting an article, and make sure it's accurate. And if you are just a reader, and not the poster of the article, the same thing goes, check out the info before passing it on as truth.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I agree with you OP. I really disappoint when i see people looking for there favorite news instead of truth, they are promoting what they believe without noticing and judging the accuracy of information. The biggest example is Alien myth, People are convinced about Aliens as reality without proof, However when ever i pointed out and provided links on extra dimensional beings (jinns, ghosts) then they said it sound so old and non scientific. See people deny to see the info if its against there will and adopt something without investigating if its what they thought. This makes it easy for mind controllers (Media Controllers PTB) to make us think about few things as POSSIBLE) Video games, cartoons, and Holllywood has shaped us like this that we love our fantasy more then Reality

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Don't even mention the BC "layers" issue, which I refuted on multiple posts and which is now mentioned everywhere as "fact" - even though it all got started by one nincompoop who didn't understand her fancy software.

It's just like al Qaeda... ideas are viral, even really bad ones. I hate how eager everyone is to latch onto ignorance here, despite the tagline of the website...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I posted a rant about this subject too!!! hahah

join