It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Mossad chief warns against attacking Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Meir Dagan, an ex leader of Mossad, and a quite hawkish one at that, has made a dramatic attack on the current leadership of Israel.

Source

Meir Dagan, a former chief of Israel's vaunted Mossad intelligence agency, has issued a stinging rebuke of Israeli policies on Iran and the Palestinians, warning that Israel risks sliding headlong into a major regional conflict.

Nothing the rest of the world didn't realise there then, but it is strange to see this man saying it.

That such a wake-up call should come from Mr Dagan, a hardliner credited with masterminding some of Israel's most daring operations, reflects a deep unease felt by some of the security elite over Israel's growing isolation.

This below is the part I found more interesting, in fact a little disturbing

Better known for his discretion than for speaking out, Mr Dagan made a rare appeal to the country's hawkish Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to take the initiative in reaching a peace deal with the Palestinians, and warned him against launching an attack on Iran that would encourage Tehran to press forward with its atomic programme.

"The war won't be against Iran, but will be a regional war," Mr Dagan said in an address to students at Tel Aviv University. "I recommend that the Prime Minister decide not to attack."

"I recommend that the Prime Minister decide not to attack." Does this mean that Israel ARE planning an attack in the near future? If so then it really will be WW3, no way Russia and China will stay out of and US backed (And it will be perceived as US backed no matter what denial is given) attack on Iran, they both have to many ties there, not to mention they are both getting more and ore pissed off about the US current wave of imperialism

It seems even someone as hawkish as Mr Dagan realises the real situation and what needs to be done

"There needs to be an Israeli peace initiative," Mr Dagan said. "If we don't offer things and don't take the initiative, we might be put in a corner. Given the choice between put in a corner or taking the initiative, initiative is better."

He suggested Israel adopt a discarded Saudi initiative of peace with the Arab world in return for withdrawing from territories Israel captured in 1967

Sadly no one will listen and the world will stay on its self destruct heading, no doubt the World wide Israelites will say how he is a traitor, or nieve, of just stupid, but the fact is this man headed Mossad for 8 years, and does know what he is talking about and the reality of the situation far better than most. Israel MUST retreat the the pre 67 borders, failure to do so will end in its ultimate destruction otherwise. And please god forbid they attack Iran, the ME will go up like a tinder keg if they do...

Worrying times

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the flags guys, but I would rather have your comments..

Israel is a country that divides people all over the world with both pro and anti Israel sentiment being strong in many countries, I am not anti Israel, although I don't like the way they treat the Palestinians, which is remnant of how the Nazi's treated Jews, they were given land, and should stick to that land rather than just encroaching on others IMO,

Until Israel makes peace, there can be no world peace

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

A flag and star for your thread! This article is topnotch and a couple of
digs of my own into the Jerusalem Post easily confirms Israel's
main men are more than a little fed up with the waffle house on
Pennsylvania Avenue. Maybe the 'ties that restrictively bind' are
finally getting a little noticeably strained... so's our economy, Benjamin.
I can only hope the US can detach itself from this powder keg completely.

Mr. Dagan might be dropping a hint, and being more of an insider
for a long time than anyone else, COULD know more about Israel's
present intentions. I would refrain from involvement in this centuries
old feud between the tribes, which up till now has been one of the
only things I could personally praise Obama for. Regrettably there
are too may things at work which will compel the US to again at
least support whatever policy shakes out of Tel Aviv. I again hope
that begrudging support can only be the 'moral' instead of physical

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by derfreebie

Well he was in charge of Mossad until the end of 2010, and is now the Ports minister so still very much connected still. That's why it worries me when he says Israel must not attack Iran it worries me, why would he be saying it if it is not being talked about in the governments inner circles

An attack on Iran would be suicide, I just hope they dont go that far, Jerusalem could end up a sheet of glass

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
reply to post by derfreebie

Well he was in charge of Mossad until the end of 2010, and is now the Ports minister so still very much connected still. That's why it worries me when he says Israel must not attack Iran it worries me, why would he be saying it if it is not being talked about in the governments inner circles

An attack on Iran would be suicide, I just hope they dont go that far, Jerusalem could end up a sheet of glass

It's a very interesting article, thanks!
I fear they may in fact go that far...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I think that Netanyahu might need a nice big distraction come September ...... the Iranians may be the perfect foil. It would be a serious miscalculation imho.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

"There needs to be an Israeli peace initiative," Mr Dagan said. "If we don't offer things and don't take the initiative, we might be put in a corner. Given the choice between put in a corner or taking the initiative, initiative is better."

sane words coming from isreal, it has been a while...

while i'd love to applaud this man for saying that.

im affraid his words will not have echo amongst the regime.
and if they do, im pretty sure there's a plot twist involved.

but still very nice to see an israeli official actually diverting from the israeli lobbying and usual propaganda.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

im affraid his words will not have echo amongst the regime. and if they do, im pretty sure there's a plot twist involved.

I just think it is the rational position, Israel is running out of allies and he knows it, the tide is turning. Governments are starting to understand that by supporting Israel the are alienating the Arab world, the Arab world consists of many many countries both in the ME but also in Africa, Asia and even parts of Europe, and these nations typically control the oil, so precious to the west

The Jewish people do deserve a state of their own, IMO, they have been persecuted for millennia, mostly due to their own greed and scheming I might add, but never the less they do need a state of their own, a safe heaven. The problem lies with their outward aggression, the suppression of the Palestinians and the constant encroachment onto others territory. They have to retreat to the 1967 borders, it is the only way peace can develop in the region, even then it will be difficult.

It would help to ring fence Jerusalem, make it an independent state , ward of the UN, belonging to no country, it is to important to to many faiths, and will always be a jewel each faith wants to control. Take away the chance of any state owning it and it becomes a lot less contentious

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Why is it you feel a distraction is going to be needed in September? I am curious to know

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

why jews and why judaism, why do they need and deserve their own country?
besides their own belief they are god's choosen people?

jews lived everywhere they could for millenia... and generally in peace with whoever they coexisted with, maybe until they hoarded too much stuff and meddled too much in local political affairs. im not a jew hater but im also not a lover, when too many people complain of the same exact things in totally diferent places, theres something to it, and jews probably got alot of one could say bad karma. where there is smoke there is fire.

but this sense of a jewish nation? that was never heard of up until the onset of zionism.

and zionism is to judaism what the rapture is to christianism, a much later concept that has nothing to do with the original aim and intent of the religion.

go figure

i agree though that jerusalem should be it's own city state, much like the vatican or any such places.

in fact im pretty sure that's one of the reasons the vatican is the way it is, no one can fight over it.
edit on 6/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Why is it you feel a distraction is going to be needed in September? I am curious to know

Because an attack/war with Iran will (most likely) involve reprisals from Hamas and Hezbollah - . Netanhyu will cite security concerns for killing any 67 border (with land swaps) agreement.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Just because the persecution is not recent, it does not just stem from Nazism, but goes back millennia, even here in the UK we have had strong anti Semitic periods, and all people should have a place to call home, somewhere they can go. The land of Palestine belonged to the British government prior to 1948, when we gave the land over. And I do agree with that process, where I strongly disagree is what has happened since, and the encroachment of Israel into further territories since and the repression of the Palestinian people

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Because an attack/war with Iran will (most likely) involve reprisals from Hamas and Hezbollah - . Netanhyu will cite security concerns for killing any 67 border (with land swaps) agreement.

Possibly, but wasn't Hamas started by Israel? Heck even Hamas are now blocking the border with Egypt stopping the Palestinian people getting out, so they don't need an excuse to wind them up, they can just give the order.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I just think it is the rational position, Israel is running out of allies and he knows it, the tide is turning. Governments are starting to understand that by supporting Israel the are alienating the Arab world, the Arab world consists of many many countries both in the ME but also in Africa, Asia and even parts of Europe, and these nations typically control the oil, so precious to the west

By 'Arab world', you're referring to Islam? Because not only is Iran not an Arabic state but neither is most of Africa and Europe/Asia are not even remotely Arabic!

It would help to ring fence Jerusalem, make it an independent state , ward of the UN, belonging to no country, it is to important to to many faiths, and will always be a jewel each faith wants to control. Take away the chance of any state owning it and it becomes a lot less contentious

Abomination.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Thanks for the flags guys, but I would rather have your comments..

Israel is a country that divides people all over the world with both pro and anti Israel sentiment being strong in many countries, I am not anti Israel, although I don't like the way they treat the Palestinians, which is remnant of how the Nazi's treated Jews, they were given land, and should stick to that land rather than just encroaching on others IMO,

Until Israel makes peace, there can be no world peace

Israel is doing nothing similar as to what the nazi's did. They aren't running concentration camps trying to exterminate the Palesinians, they aren't blitzkreiging through their area and last I heard they were getting tons of rockets dropped on them.

Your statement comparing them to Nazi's shows just how anti-Israel you are.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

By 'Arab world', you're referring to Islam? Because not only is Iran not an Arabic state but neither is most of Africa and Europe/Asia are not even remotely Arabic!

I never said most of Africa.. but while were on the subject, lets take a look shall we, at countries that can be described as Arabic

Algeria in AFRICA
Comoros of the East coast of AFRICA
Djibouti AFRICA
Egypt AFRICA
Libya AFRICA
Mauritania AFRICA
Morocco AFRICA
Somalia AFRICA *
Sudan AFRICA
Syria AFRICA
Tunisia AFRICA

(Somalia, I will admit is not totally an Arabic country, its people being divided between Arabic and Somalian speaking people)

Now we can mention all the states within the ME but no real need to, and if you want to go on about Muslim countries, well now you are talking about 1/3 of the world who are against the state of Israel. You will just have to get used to the fact that Israel is really just a tiny insignificant country, and the only reason it has not been squashed is because of Western support, support which they are losing. Either they negotiate peace or they will die

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Your statement comparing them to Nazi's shows just how anti-Israel you are.

Really? I am anti Israeli? Or perhaps you mean I am an Anti Semite? Both of which are blatantly wrong, and I suggest you educate yourself rather than just reading rhetoric, take a good hard look at what is really happening in the region. I have never stated that Israel should not exist, in fact I support the state of Israel, it doesn't give them thr right to trample over others, deny their rights, with hold their aide and finance, as for tons of rockets falling on Israel, go look at the devastation they have caused in Palestine

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

nor did i say it was.

historically there's probably not one single place that one point in time didn't persecute, expelled or went against the jewish people.

jewish are humans too and they deserve the right to live as much as you and me.

but at the same time their problems and persecution stems from them too, it's not like they have been gathering this negative attention for nothing.

they like to hide behind the fact they have been bullied around pretty much everywhere, but they never adress why they have been bullied to begin with.

and i assure you no one ever persecuted the jews just for being good people, quite the opposite.

plus when you separate yourselves from the rest of humanity by calling yourselves the "choosen people"
its not surprising some choose to prove you are not, by makin you bleed like the rest of us humans.

if people and jews in this case just went about their business(literally) and did not gloat and parade around like they have some sort of pedestal, im pretty sure no one would be trying to knock them down.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Yes mate, most of Africa is not Arabic! And guess what, Arabs are a tribe. Not all the populations of the countries you listed are tribal Arabs. And Syria is not in Africa.

new topics

top topics

join