learn more

Letter from a Fukushima mother

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny
There is so much privilege in the USA that clearly some of you cannot conceive of a life without that privilege and freedom that it gives you.

I am saying to go live in a tent if it means that you and your family will be a safer distance away from any radiation and other chemicals poisoning the land and water in Japan right now. You say:

I dont need luxury, but my kids do need stability, and not to be living in a flipping tent, or a shelter with people that could hurt them in the short term.

and I am the one acting 'privileged'?

I dont feed them contaminated food or water to the best of my knowledge. I budget as well as I can, and we buy and drink and cook with and brush our teeth with imported mineral water. I only buy imported food, or food from places way to the south of Japan, or the extreme north. Im very careful about what my children eat.

I never said, nor insinuated, that you would intentionally feed your children contaminated food. My point is, that the government in Japan has shown itself to be willing to lie about the facts regarding the seriousness of this disaster -- so how do you know your food is safe?

If you have the means to test it, and you are confident in your ability to know what is safe, what is not, and are able to measure the radiation levels in your area and you find them to be safe in your opinion, then what's the problem? Then, you are safe and this entire discussion is pointless.

Sorry, but YOU ARE being judgemental, and very offensive to suggest Im not doing everything in my power.

As I have stated, empathy and sympathy do not always play out well when reading text on the Internet. I feel for your plight, and merely offered what I would do as a suggestion. Not once did I say what was the right or wrong decision. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what you are comfortable with.

Ten miles a day, in 35 degree heat and extreme humidity, with one child under 5. You would be lucky to do ten miles, and not go down with heat exhaution. You woudl do that to your kids? Sleep rough? Beg for food? Then you are not half the mother I am.

Yes. If it meant survival, I would 'sleep rough' and I would beg for food. I am not above asking for help when I need it and I am not above sleeping in a tent for how ever long it takes to get back on my feet and regain some sense of normalcy.

My children have to have a future, that means working, and being able to compete. When your weak little American kids are being mollycoddled mine are working 3 grades ahead in math and science.

Here we go again. Here's the bottom line:

Do you feel your health is in jeopardy?
Do you feel that the food you are eating and the air you are breathing is healthy?
Do you feel that your children are in an environment that is healthy?
Do you think that the radiation levels are now safe, and that the soil is safe, and that within 30 years you will actually be able to dig in the dirt without getting a rash or something worse?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then you have no need to worry nor should you consider leaving.

However, if the answer to any of the above is no, then it doesn't matter how many grade levels your children are above mine. In thirty years, if you feel your health is in jeopardy now, you will be too busy caring for their illnesses and not worrying about whether or not they are working. Sick people, terminally ill people, do not work very much!

I do not want charity. If I had the opportunity to pay my own way and move, then I would.

This seems to be an issue of pride. Perhaps we are simply culturally different, but just as I donate to charities for people that need it, as I did for Japan, Chile, Haiti, Katrina, etc., I would certainly accept charity if I needed it.

This is the last time I will state what I have said repeatedly before:

The situation in Japan is obviously heart-wrenching and extremely difficult. Nobody, including myself, is making light of the dire situation. Nobody is judging you for your decision nor can anyone know exactly what you are going through.

However, my goal, and I believe the goal of other Americans and others on this site, is too offer help, advice, money....something.

Despite what you think about Americans, and I think your opinion is merely based on our conversation that has obviously taken a turn for the worse, we generally give more to charities and donate freely whenever there is a crisis anywhere in the world.

I wish you and your family well.
edit on 11-6-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny
reply to post by lpowell0627

To me, and again this would be more sypathetically said face to face rather than on the Internet, but how irresponsible is it of you to remain where you are knowing the chance that your children will develop cancer or radiation poisioning? How irresponsible is it to feed them food and water that you know may potentially contain harmful levels of radiation? .

Here is the point where you accused me of being irresponsible and feeding my beloved children radioactive food.

I went away and thought very carefully about whether or not to reply to you and your attack upon me, your attack upon me as a mother, as a human being. I thought, you know what, it is better not to use my energy in this way. Then I had a change of heart. I have every right to defend myself.

Lets get this straight. My husband's reasons for not leaving are economic - the mortgage, his career, our responsibilities. My reasons for not leaving are, first off, if I do, that would be the end of my marriage, I would also have no means of supporting my children without him. Becuase as a woman in Japan, I have no rights to remove my children from their father without his express permission. I would be breaking the law, in a big way. Because if I leave, I will be uprooting children who have already been through a major disaster. Because despite the radiation, I do believe I can keep my children safe here at the moment.

I go to sleep every night worrying myself sick that something will happen to us. Worry about radiation, about earthquakes. What it is is a bad throw of the dice. This is where I live. This is where my children have to be, legally, unless I can persuade my husband that we should leave. Which I am trying to do. You see he is the cool head in the marriage who deals with money and financing our lives, I am the one who homeschools, bakes, housekeeps. It might not be for everyone, but it has worked for us. I dont have the freedom, however, just to run.

My children mean more to me than anything, including my husband. However, I am their mother, but they also have a father who has every right to have a say in where they are, who has every right to demand they stay in the country of their birth. He is also their guardian. Say I removed them, illegally, took them out of this country, and away from their father, against his wishes. THen what? How do I pay for those lawyers fees. Morally, I have no idea. I am doing what I can.

Also, the ground here in Japan is more highly irradiated than up high. YOu have no protection in a tent. In a concrete building there is a certain amount of sheltering, and up as high as this, off the ground, this again helps. We do not play in the parks, or swim in the sea. If I walked, outsite, unsheltered, and slept on the ground which may well have particles of radioactive substances on it, all that time we were running we would be being more highly irradiated than we are in our concrete highrise.

You say you are not judging me, but judgement of me drips from your words. You suggest that I put my husband before my children, that they are going to get cancer because of me and my actions, that Im feeding them radioactive food.

What I am doing is trying to keep things as normal as I can. I am trying to provide them with an education, with normality as much as I can in this terribly abnormal time. I wish to the heavens I was American, I wish my children were there, but that is not where we are. I have worked myself to exhaustion providing the family with safe meals, keeping them positive and happy and calm. There is nothing to be gained from being unhappy and scared. You simply cannot exist in a state of fear 24 hours a day. It will do as much damage as the radiation.

We are looking for work abroad, and applying for visas. When we can legally leave Japan, we will go. When we can go as a family, and not go illegally and begging for food, then we will go.

I would never judge others for the decisions they make under terribly hard circumstances, and I really do not appreciate the appalling way you have dealt with me in this thread. If you are going to attack me, do it. Just dont bookend it with meaningless platitudes.

T
edit on 16-6-2011 by ThousandIslandSunny because: probs with quoting text from Ipowell

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It is so sad, what has happened to you and your people, as I have said before the Japanese Ministers and Tepco officials involved need to be hunted down, judged against for crimes against humanity and then dispatched. After all they did not mind profiteering from the death and horror that your people now face. Martyrs are sometimes needed to balance the corruption and greed of groups and individuals.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Then perhaps you are not in danger of radiation. To me, and again this would be more sypathetically said face to face rather than on the Internet, but how irresponsible is it of you to remain where you are knowing the chance that your children will develop cancer or radiation poisioning? How irresponsible is it to feed them food and water that you know may potentially contain harmful levels of radiation?

Here is the point where you accused me of being irresponsible and feeding my beloved children radioactive food.

I went away and thought very carefully about whether or not to reply to you and your attack upon me, your attack upon me as a mother, as a human being. I thought, you know what, it is better not to use my energy in this way. Then I had a change of heart. I have every right to defend myself.

Lets get this straight. My husband's reasons for not leaving are economic - the mortgage, his career, our responsibilities. My reasons for not leaving are, first off, if I do, that would be the end of my marriage, I would also have no means of supporting my children without him. Becuase as a woman in Japan, I have no rights to remove my children from their father without his express permission. I would be breaking the law, in a big way. Because if I leave, I will be uprooting children who have already been through a major disaster. Because despite the radiation, I do believe I can keep my children safe here at the moment.

I go to sleep every night worrying myself sick that something will happen to us. Worry about radiation, about earthquakes. What it is is a bad throw of the dice. This is where I live. This is where my children have to be, legally, unless I can persuade my husband that we should leave. Which I am trying to do. You see he is the cool head in the marriage who deals with money and financing our lives, I am the one who homeschools, bakes, housekeeps. It might not be for everyone, but it has worked for us. I dont have the freedom, however, just to run.

My children mean more to me than anything, including my husband. However, I am their mother, but they also have a father who has every right to have a say in where they are, who has every right to demand they stay in the country of their birth. He is also their guardian. Say I removed them, illegally, took them out of this country, and away from their father, against his wishes. THen what? How do I pay for those lawyers fees. Morally, I have no idea. I am doing what I can.

Also, the ground here in Japan is more highly irradiated than up high. YOu have no protection in a tent. In a concrete building there is a certain amount of sheltering, and up as high as this, off the ground, this again helps. We do not play in the parks, or swim in the sea. If I walked, outsite, unsheltered, and slept on the ground which may well have particles of radioactive substances on it, all that time we were running we would be being more highly irradiated than we are in our concrete highrise.

You say you are not judging me, but judgement of me drips from your words. You suggest that I put my husband before my children, that they are going to get cancer because of me and my actions, that Im feeding them radioactive food.

What I am doing is trying to keep things as normal as I can. I am trying to provide them with an education, with normality as much as I can in this terribly abnormal time. I wish to the heavens I was American, I wish my children were there, but that is not where we are. I have worked myself to exhaustion providing the family with safe meals, keeping them positive and happy and calm. There is nothing to be gained from being unhappy and scared. You simply cannot exist in a state of fear 24 hours a day. It will do as much damage as the radiation.

We are looking for work abroad, and applying for visas. When we can legally leave Japan, we will go. When we can go as a family, and not go illegally and begging for food, then we will go.

I would never judge others for the decisions they make under terribly hard circumstances, and I really do not appreciate the appalling way you have dealt with me in this thread. If you are going to attack me, do it. Just dont bookend it with meaningless platitudes.

T

(I could not format my reply properly before. Sorry for the double post)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by marsend

Marsend, it is horribly sad isnt it, and your kind words are appreciated by me. Thing is I believe I have a fighting chance at protecting myself and my children. That we probably will make it through all this in one piece and without illness. That said, there are going to be those who do not. Especially those in Fukushima, like the mother who wrote that original letter. She is trapped and her children are being exposed to risks she cannot avoid.

I am not Japanese, my husband and children are, this is my adopted country of the last 12 years - most of my adult life. I love Japan dearly, not the corporate criminals, but the country and the people. I have always been treated well here by my neighbours.

I do believe that this situation was negligence on behalf of Tepco and the greedy politicians who make so much money from nuclear power. They are so heavily invested in it. It doesnt matter that it risks lives, just that they get richer, while we are poisoned. I saw a young Japanese man on a protest march he was wearing a sign that said 'f u c k Tepco. In English. I was shocked. Japanese really dont swear like that, let alone write it! In English! Good for him. I totally agree.

There is a groundswell of public opinion. Shame Japan is not more like Egypt, then we might see proper change!

My family are working very hard to be accepted to either Australia or the US on work visas, and to find work to go to. Lets hope we find work soon, and those applications are accepted to one or the other country. Then we will leave everything behind, when we can leave as a family, all together, and not subject the children to further risks or poverty and homelessness.

Powell suggested I try to find a family to send my children away to in the USA. SEND MY CHILDREN AWAY? Are you joking? Would you send your family away to another family you did not know, without you? Would your children be comfortable with that? Would you? You do know what freaks and molesters are out there, dont you? Do you think that somehow my love as a mother is less than an American's love? That I could just wave goodbye and trust people with them? That they do not deserve their mother and father that are working so hard to leave?

It is a horrible time to be Japanese, or resident here. It is terrifying. When people tell me my grandkids are going to be born mutiliated by radiation, that my kids are going to die, that I am a bad mother for living here when I have no choice, how do you think that makes me feel? I will not break any laws. I will not beg for food and money to leave here. I will not snatch my children away from their father against his will, and illegally. There are many many children in Tokyo, with familes who love them, and parents who do everything to minimise risks.

Tepco are criminal. I wish that they could get a crack team of the best of the worlds scientists into Fukushima, and get Tepco out. I wonder sometimes why Obama doesnt insist on it?

This situation is serious, and I take it very seriously. It is something that Ill always fear, that my children may get cancer, or I do, and theya re left with no mother. That is why we live as safely as we can. No windows open, filters changed on air conditioners, no playing outside for now, no eating out, I buy only canned or imported food from reputable importers. We cook, drink and even brush teeth and wash faces in mineral water. Because I love my children.

I really appreciate your words of support, it was very kind of you.

Im lucky that I have met up with another ATS member, through this website, in Tokyo, and now have someone else who is stuck here for now to talk to! Isnt that wonderful!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

The worlds is a big Illusion isn't it? I mean how do we really know all this isn't a bad set up for humanity to deal with in fear to make evil stronger who feeds on fear. can we wake up now? I hope that is the case but I'm gonna live till I die. IS ALL I KNOW.
As we see how NASA covers up the sky, puts Illusions for all to see. Covers up objects circling around the sun and then a craft by the sun with a black cord attached to it coming from the sun as if charging up it's craft. I mean what do we believe so much Illusion. Or real life transaction really being seen for our first time. Rumors fly that they are 1000x's more advanced than we know. Is it just part of the schematics of things. A creation of art work of who has the best plot. Who can cause and shape the future in the most negative circumstance

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join