learn more

Letter from a Fukushima mother

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Letter from a Fukushima mother

We live 60 kilometers (37 miles) from the plant and our homes have been contaminated beyond levels seen at Chernobyl. The cesium-137 they are finding in the soil will be here for 30 years. But the government will not help us. They tell us to stay put. They tell our kids to put on masks and hats and keep going to school.

This summer, our children won’t be able to go swimming. They won’t be able to play outside. They can’t eat Fukushima’s delicious peaches. They can’t even eat the rice that the Fukushima farmers are making. They can’t go visit Fukushima’s beautiful rivers, mountains and lakes. This makes me sad. This fills me with so much regret.

Instead, our children will spend the summer in their classrooms, with no air conditioning, sweating as they try to concentrate on their lessons. We don’t even know how much radiation they’ve already been exposed to.

I was eight years old when the Fukushima Daiichi plant opened. If I had understood what they were building, I would have fought against it. I didn’t realize that it contained dangers that would threaten my children, my children’s children and their children.

I am grateful for all the aid all the world has sent us.

Now, what we ask is for you to speak out against the Japanese government. Pressure them into taking action. Tell them to make protecting children their top priority.

Thank you so much,

Tomoko Hatsuzawa

Pretty sad. The Japanese government and TEPCO have been lying to these people and to the WORLD since the beginning. They should be facing justice. The lies they told were not minor lies, their lies already killed people, how many people will their lies kill, we don't know, but it'll probably be in the thousands, if not more.

Nuclear engineers urging IAEA to create “Level 8″ on INES scale for Fukushima

Their lies about the safety of Japanese nuclear power plant, lies and corruption about the safety of those plants, etc... The whole enterprise is corrupt.

Exclusive Arnie Gundersen Interview: The Dangers Of Fukushima Are Worse And Longer-lived Than We Think

"I have said it's worse than Chernobyl and I’ll stand by that. There was an enormous amount of radiation given out in the first two to three weeks of the event. And add the wind and blowing in-land. It could very well have brought the nation of Japan to its knees. I mean, there is so much contamination that luckily wound up in the Pacific Ocean as compared to across the nation of Japan - it could have cut Japan in half. But now the winds have turned, so they are heading to the south toward Tokyo and now my concern and my advice to friends that if there is a severe aftershock and the Unit 4 building collapses, leave. We are well beyond where any science has ever gone at that point and nuclear fuel lying on the ground and getting hot is not a condition that anyone has ever analyzed."

And it's only a matter of time before it happens elsewhere... like in the US where many of the nuclear reactors were built using the same model as Fukushima.

Risk From Spent Nuclear Reactor Fuel Is Greater in U.S. Than in Japan, Study Says

So. California's San Onofre nuclear plant, near fault line and sea, built to withstand less than Japan plant

A spokesman for Southern California Edison, the operator of the San Onofre nuclear power generating station (between LA and San Diego, the big white dome-shaped thing off I-5) was trying to calm fearful Southern California residents today when he explained that the 84-acre generating station was built to withstand a magnitude 7.0 earthquake. He also told local media that a 25-foot-high "tsunami wall" of reinforced concrete stood between the plant and the immediately adjacent Pacific ocean.

Well, that's nice. But this Southern California resident remains concerned: the earthquake that devastated Japan last Friday, throwing various nuclear power plants into crisis and sparking worldwide fears of a major nuke accident, was a 9.0 "great quake." And the tsunami that soon followed? That was 33 feet high.

All is safe, trust your government.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I hear you Tomoko. What you and your children are going through now and for many decades is the true tragedy. It is unconscionable that your goverment does not attend to the needs of all who are citizens of the nation of Japan especially those such as your family, and the other families, who are in the greatest continuing danger. Are you able to move to another part of Japan to save yourselves? The sacrifice would be worth the preservation of yours and your children's health and future.

The world has not and will not forget about you and the people of Japan in your travails.

Elderlight

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Nice letter, but I'm curious, if a Japanese person can write so well in English, and is as concerned as expressed for the children, why are they still living w/i a thousand miles of ground zero?

Seems like anybody with any sense at all would have scrammed out of the area long before this, wouldn't they? If for nothing more then just to beat the rush that's surely coming.

Staying put and blaming the government (or anybody else) seems too much like cutting off your nose to spite your face, and the walking dead doing it to themselves deserve little sympathy.

If the Japanese Lemmings can't or won't stand up to their own government to demand their basic human rights then what's the point of asking non-Japanese for help?

edit on 4-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: add content
edit on 4-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

People, ordinary people cannot just up stakes and move. Move where?

If they own their home who will buy it to enable them to move? If they rent it takes time to find new accomodation if it is even available.

They most likely live and work in the same area. How do they rent without a job. Who will move their belongings and furniture? Would you? so they dont only have to move away, leave their homes and belongings and probably friends and family they have to be able to set up a new home from scratch.

I understand rental accomodation is expensive in Japan, I have no doubt it has gone up not down in the 'safer' areas. Does anyone know if that is the case?

So lets say they move away and can afford to do so how long before they face the very same problem as the radiation spreads?

As usual it is the poor that pay the price. It is the poor that have no choice while those that ignored the risks for greed say sorry and leave the mess behind for others to deal with.

Accident indeed. It is criminal negligence and a crime against humanity but as they wear suits and are part of the upper level of society they will and are walking away because they are part of the few that can afford to do so.

So bearing the above in mind moving is not an option for most. Who knows if the letter comes from someone in this radioactive trap but you can be sure there are people in that position with options limited as I have laid out

Who would you blame?
edit on 4-6-2011 by colin42 because: added a comment

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Nice letter, but I'm curious, if a Japanese person can write so well in English, and is as concerned as expressed for the children, why are they still living w/i a thousand miles of ground zero?

She doesn't speak english. The letter was translated.

I understand rental accomodation is expensive in Japan, I have no doubt it has gone up not down in the 'safer' areas. Does anyone know if that is the case?

It certainly has. There's hundreds of thousands of refugees from the tsunami and the nuclear crisis.

The big problem is that those families have probably been where they are for GENERATIONS... hundreds if not THOUSANDS of years. And the Japanese people are a people of traditions. They will not leave unless they will die for sure... and even then, some won't still leave.

A lot of Japanese have also a culture of ``let's trust the government``...

And yeah, no way they can sell their houses, even if they wanted to move... and real estate prices in Japan are INSANE...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Hi

I know the Japanese culture is not the same as ours but it should not be hard for us to understand their situation.

Disasters do not empower people they take away choice. The self determination we all believe we have is an illusion and when hit with problems on the scale in Japan control of your life is not in your hands.

I find it unbelievable that people would ask why dont they run, its their fault if they stay.

When Chenobyl went bang we in the UK suffered the fallout. The option to run was not there, no one took it, the advice was stay indoors.. We still have many hill farmers that cannot put sheep into the food chain. Who knows how many cancers. No one asks.

This fallout is coming to a place near all of us and the west has turned away pretending it wont happen and then we condem the Japanese for not running and sitting back and taking it.

SO ARE WE.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42

People, ordinary people cannot just up stakes and move. Move where?

If they own their home who will buy it to enable them to move? If they rent it takes time to find new accomodation if it is even available.

They most likely live and work in the same area. How do they rent without a job. Who will move their belongings and furniture? Would you? so they dont only have to move away, leave their homes and belongings and probably friends and family they have to be able to set up a new home from scratch.

So lets say they move away and can afford to do so how long before they face the very same problem as the radiation spreads?

As usual it is the poor that pay the price. It is the poor that have no choice while those that ignored the risks for greed say sorry and leave the mess behind for others to deal with.

Accident indeed. It is criminal negligence and a crime against humanity but as they wear suits and are part of the upper level of society they will and are walking away because they are part of the few that can afford to do so.

So bearing the above in mind moving is not an option for most. Who knows if the letter comes from someone in this radioactive trap but you can be sure there are people in that position with options limited as I have laid out

Who would you blame?
edit on 4-6-2011 by colin42 because: added a comment

You apparently are unable to understand that excuses mean nothing when your life hangs in the balance (except perhaps to youngsters who are filled with them, and rely on them all too often). If the choice is between inconvenience and a serious possibility of horrible death, the choice is clear... at least to me if not to you.

I personally believe the letter is a fake, but if not, that person deserves whatever comes from their "choices," and their stupidity. Too bad children will suffer for their parent's Lemming-like ignorance but no different from what's happened to children in America. As I said: "get away now and beat the rush that is likely to come."

Becoming a refugee is a bitter pill to swallow, but not nearly as bad as radiation poisoning; and now according to A.G., the winds have changed and are blowing back toward Japan instead of toward the US. And if/when the situation blows up again most of the country might have to be abandoned.

If that happens, as seems likely... where will those millions go? Where will they be welcome? What country wants to see millions of Japanese Lemmings rushing toward their shores? Another Jap invasion. To me it seems wiser to take a long vacation somewhere else right now, and wait for the dust to settle.

During WWII millions of people picked up and headed for safer places, and millions survived because of that decision. What's different now except for an ignorance of history?

Didn't any of them learn lessons from previous Nuke accidents? And best to remember also that memories are long in that part of the world, and the Japanese still aren't very popular, or welcome, in many neighboring countries... and rightly so for anybody that remembers Jap atrocities in WWII. Their Karma.

edit on 5-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: add content
edit on 5-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: add context
edit on 5-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS
edit on 6/7/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
You move, you just do it, you become that which you are!

Then you recreate a new world, one where there are less dangers than before; this is the way of the wise old woman!

Bless you!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Vitchilo, this is the most pertinant news to hear in weeks. Reliable source, common human story with nothing to gain; desperation at the lack of reality -why do we make ourselves suffer like this? Who's is the foot on the gas pedal in running over the truth? So complicated, yet at the root, so simple. The bottom line wins each and every time, sin duda

CJ

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

What a load of bull.

Millions became refugees in the second world war? Millions, are you sure?

You say they should run or they suffer a fate they deserve and then talk about wind direction changing and ask where will millions of Japanese go. The numbers would destablise any country they run to.

How do those numbers even get off an island? Surf on the next tsunami?

I am apparently are unable to understand that excuses mean nothing when your life hangs in the balance. You seem unable to understand disasters take choice away let alone 3.

Of course excuses from TEPCO, the Japanese gov and the nuclear power industry are acceptable as you do not seem to question those.

You say becoming a refugee is a bitter pill to swallow, spoken by someone who does not have to take that same pill and would accuse those very refugees who turn up in your area of stealing jobs and homes.

I find it a bitter pill to swallow when people like you chose to blame the victims.

I think your last comment is telling. Karma, pay back for their part in the war.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The cesium-137 they are finding in the soil will be here for 30 years. But the government will not help us. They tell us to stay put. They tell our kids to put on masks and hats and keep going to school.

FLat out ignorance. Now they say stay put smmfh. See there may be underlying influences which 1 wishes not to discuss in reference to corrupt govz and who they listen too. But its a shame that these kids are basically sitting in a mes of who knows what and they are not being evacuated. See I am in the US on the Ecoast and I talk to people about Fukashima and the feelings I get is well its way over there smh. I keep in mind everyday that that radiation is reaching here in the atmosphere so i can imagine how they are feeling being right next to the wickedness. Man needs to work together so that man can move man around together to protect the species. I remember this one guy he all American I guess anyway he said some uncool comments about immigration mainly mexico. Something like they should stay in their own country. I felt like spitting anti matter in his face smh because I was like damn so you really dont acknowlegde your species only your land barriers sad. So I proprsed a question I said if the US was attacked bombed and we had to leave which way are you going North to Canada or South to Mexico. Of course his logic was I am stayen here I said with destrustion allready happening you would rather stay here then work with your brotheren after that I quit discussing things too deep with that employee. Point I make is WORK TOGETHER AS 1. If there are multiple neg. happinings on EA occuring the only way for species to survive will be to cooporate with each other..

No other way. TOGETHER and your peer interactions can be viewed on a truthful scale when working together or not.

Be well

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brown Bear

Seems like anybody with any sense at all would have scrammed out of the area long before this, wouldn't they? If for nothing more then just to beat the rush that's surely coming.

Staying put and blaming the government (or anybody else) seems too much like cutting off your nose to spite your face, and the walking dead doing it to themselves deserve little sympathy.

If the Japanese Lemmings can't or won't stand up to their own government to demand their basic human rights then what's the point of asking non-Japanese for help?

edit on 4-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: add content
edit on 4-6-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

Brown bear, your racism and total lack of comprehension of what it means to go through a massive disaster absolutely astounding.

First off, why is speaking English a sign to you that this woman would be able to get herself out of Fukushima, or Japan? How does this pay her family's living expenses, how does this pay her travel costs, or get her a visa for another country? How does speaking English pay her travel costs?

Uprooting a family costs money. A lot of money. She may well have a mortgage that needs paying, her place of work has probably been destroyed by tsunami or quake, or else be shut down as it is within a restricted zone. She probably does not have enough savings to rent a new apartment, let alone pay for her family's living expenses outside of Japan, or gain a hard to win visa for another country. People just do not have the money or the means to just leave Japan, or even the area they are in. The rich are long gone, and to move a family out of the area, out of Japan costs money, more money than most people have to hand, especially if they have lost their livelihoods, or their work is in an affected area.

Next, would you use a racial perjorative to describe a non white person in America? Jap, Nip, these are all racially insulting labels, and I would appreciate it if you desist from using them on a public board with policies on politeness and decorum.

What you say here is pure racism, anti Japanese racism. Karma? I truely believe in people paying for the wrongs they personally do, but that world war 2 generation has almost died out now. The quake, nuclear disaster and tsunami affected innocent people. People who did no wrong in world war two, who were not even born then. Some Japanese soldiers did terrible things in WW2, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the current crisis.

Japanese people are not lemmings. Those stuck in north eastern Japan who could leave, who had the money to head south of Japan, did so. Those who cannot leave are left. This is a tragedy for those INNOCENT people stuck in Fukushima.

See, Japan is not a communist society, it is a capitalist one. We have to pay our way, same as in any other money-driven society. If you cant pay, then you stay.

People here have suffered enough without some idiotic comments made in a spirit of racism by someone who clearly has no idea what he is talking about

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

Could not agree more. Star for you.

A question. I understand no insurance company would insure any nuclear power plant anywhere in the world. This means the countries Gov. has to take on that role.

Is it time for the Japanese people and all those now seeing the radioactive fallout in their areas to put in claims?

This could well be the route to take for ordinary people to demand change in how these plants are run and their safety ensured. They can ignore protests and letters of complaint but can they ignore claims they have the responsibility to pay for?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Only the first page and we already have the ugly face of prejudice and racism enter.

What a sad letter. I can read the hopelessness. I cannot help but think that TPTB have decided to "sacrifice" those left behind.
"a few for the many" as they say.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
When this disaster first happened, I remember reading a quote from someone that was involved with the Chernobyl disaster. I don't remember the person, but I distinctly remember the warning. When asked what advice he/she would give to the Japanese people, the quote was simply:

"RUN! The government will not tell you the truth until it is too late. RUN NOW."

Pity the advice was not better received. Let this be a lesson to anyone and everyone in the future that experiences any kind of nuclear accident going forward. Within 100 miles? Run!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

The government has no contract which stipulates that which it HAS to pay and does not have to pay. They did not even have to bail out Tepco.

The Japanese government has agreed already to support Tepco, and help it pay the compensation to various affected parties.

Farmers whose crops are now contaminated, and have had to dispose of their produce are going to be compensated. However no time frame for this has been given. For instance Ibaraki tea farmers vountarily disposed of this years crop and put in a request to the government for compensation. So far they received nothing.

People within the exclusion zones, who were forced to leave and had to go into shelters got a derisory sum in compensation. These people still had mortgages to pay, lost their houses and probably willl never be able to go back to them. They were awarded something like a maximum provisional sum of a million yen per family, and 750 thousand yen per individual not in a family. This was only implemented in May. This really would not go very far.

For instance, rental of an apartment would require the person renting to be employed or else pay 6 months in advance. Renting here is extraordinarily expensive. This is not enough money to set up in another part of Japan. A million yen would not pay even the airfare and hotel for a week for a family or four to the US or Europe. I would say, a million yen would last a famly of 4,not including accomodation, about 2 months, perhaps 3 if you ate very frugally and didnt need to replace clothes etc. These people left with nothing, they need to buy basics like clothes. All that donated money, a lot of it is still sitting in accounts waiting to be distributed. Perhaps any of you who donated to the Red Cross might like to ask if they distributed every last cent that was donated yet.

People outside of the exclusion zones get NOTHING. Tokyo, even Fukushima outside of that evac zone, Ibaraki...They will get nothing if they are not farmers, and nor will the government give them any compensation. To put it bluntly, there is not enough money to go around to expand the remit of the compensation awards.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
When this disaster first happened, I remember reading a quote from someone that was involved with the Chernobyl disaster. I don't remember the person, but I distinctly remember the warning. When asked what advice he/she would give to the Japanese people, the quote was simply:

"RUN! The government will not tell you the truth until it is too late. RUN NOW."

Pity the advice was not better received. Let this be a lesson to anyone and everyone in the future that experiences any kind of nuclear accident going forward. Within 100 miles? Run!

Those who could run, did.

Those close to the plants were evacuated and sent to shelters. Tokyo was eerily quiet. Many people left to go to the South of Japan. Tokyo is a major financial centre. People who work there cannot just take off and expect their job at the end of it.

Again, to run, takes money here, if you dont have money you cannot 'run'. The bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto is about 27 thousand yen. Then hotels are not cheap - factor in about 10,000 yen a night. Then you have to feed everyone. Factor in 5 thousand yen for a family of four, per day, perhaps a little more since you will not have cooking facilities.

My family would have loved to have run to the US, or Australia, or Canada. Tell me how we are meant to get work visas quickly? How about a job when 10 percent of Americans cannot find work. Run to where exactly? How? Say we spend what little savings we have (children are very very expensive in Japan) on flights out of here. Where can we go? How can we pay our way in the medium to long term? What about our mortgage in Japan, we cannot just default on it, can we? If we take a vacation, we have to return anyway, so we might as well not spend money on a 2 week vacation as what difference would two weeks make when we have to return to work and our lives here.

Ordinary Japanese cannot afford to run. They cannot get the visas to go and live somewhere else, nor is finding work easy. Not even for English speaking/bilingual professional people. If we could get visas, find work and be able to pay our way we would have left already.

I am not happy to go into my personal situation, but leaving was literally impossible.

So when you say 'run' please be aware that running is not as easy as it sounds, not for grown ups with responsibilities and debts and careers and kids. Not for people like this Fukushima mother, who cannot afford rental accomodation outside of Fukushima, and may well be living in an evacuation shelter. They get no government money in these shelters beyond those awards, just their food and a futon matress on a floor with hundreds of other people. This woman is trapped physically and culturally.

When I became unhappy with my kids going to school and playing in the dirt, getting rained on, eating who knows what from who knows where in the compulsory school meals, I fought, I filled in forms, I got called names by everyone around me, but I took my kids totally out of school and arranged homeschooling. This mother has huge cultural pressures to send those kids out to school no matter what. Huge. She would be shamed, called a bad parent, her child ostracised, if her husband is still alive, he probably would never allow her to do something so unfathomable like not send that child into school to be irradiatiated. Many of these people in Sendai have lost people, try running when your mother is dead, or your father, or your husband or wife, you have lost everything, the bank want your passbook, which you cant get because you cant get back to your house, or it was lost in the panic.

Run? How is this woman meant to be able to run?

The rich have already left, those who can go, have. The people left have no choice.

I suggest those who want to tell people to run, might like to sponser this Fukushima mother's visa, so she can come to your country, might want to find her somewhere to stay, and feed her and her children. Im sure she would love to be able to leave and make a new life elsewhere. She cannot, and that is something that people need to understand. I bet you there is not one person here who is able to, that would actually do this for Michiko and her family. Words are easy, especially when you are denigrating this woman who has survived so much already and is doing the best she can with what she has to hand.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

I hear and understand you. I know what compensation was/is paid and know it comes nowhere close to be enough.

Have a read: www.world-nuclear.org...

You gave me the idea when you said you lived in a capitalist country. They understand money and the lawers understand claims.

There must be a way forward for the Japanese people affected by this disaster and this could be a route. It should be looked at in any case if it is not already.

People are not disposable assets for the rich to use when it suits and turn their backs on when it does not which rightly or wrongly as an outsider looking in from a distance is how it looks to me.

The simple answer of RUN is not the simple choice if it is an option at all as you have explained above.

Edit: BTW your reply above is brilliant and should be shown to anyone that tells the people of Japan to run.
edit on 7-6-2011 by colin42 because: read response above

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Thing is, people are treated like disposible assets for the rich. You think the president of Tepco, the Prime Minister cares at all if my kids get leukemia? I mean you honestly think it has crossed their mind how losing a child in this way, because of their greed will ruin my life? I dont figure into it, and nor does any other hard working person.

We work hard. We take nothing and pay a huge percentage of income in taxes. Yet people like us do not even warrant truth.

I would like to say people might want to criticise people in Tokyo for 'carrying on as normal'. Lets get this straight shall we. We have been shaken up by many many quakes, some of us have lost family up north, we have had to endure the terror of this nuclear nightmare, and we have been told that the best thing we can do for everyone, is 'ganbatte' - carry on as normal. Keep calm, earn money, keep food on the shelves of supermarkets, the schools open, gas to the pumps. If Tokyo run around voicing our fears and screaming for those we have lost, we are not helping Japan, not helping people like Michiko. My hardworking husband said to me 'whats the point?' Yes, what is the point, but that attitude will not help anyone. Falling into fear and depression will not get us anywhere. I am proud of Tokyo carrying on as normal.

Believe me when I say people are devestated. People watch the news and see those in shelters every night, and we think of them. We talk about it over our suppers. I know people who went to help, I know office workers who loaded up trucks to go to Sendai, people who went to volunteer in orphanages. Noone has forgotten those who are in a worse position than ourselves.

Did you know that some landlords, and private people with second homes, opened up their houses to refugees? People are doing what they can,.

The search for bodies was intense. Yes, many have not been found. They have been swept out to sea, or are in areas too 'hot' to get them out for burial.

People care, we are all trying to survive and do the best we can.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I read the article.

Those who will be compensated are those who have had to evacuate, or lost crops. Those who chose not to sell their crops because of their conscience but the government say that their crops are within limits for radiation, will not get compensation.

AS it is, the amount paid per person, or business will in no way make up for the actual loss, especially if people lose their homes and still have to pay the debt.

Basically, they will pay when they want to pay, and the amount they want to pay. The needs or actual losses will not figure into it as much as trying to minimise the final bill for the mess. The rich and privileged of every country seem to not care about normal people, whilst that cannot be said for ordinary people who care a lot about each other.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join