It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got threatened with jail time after applying for financial aid

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I was referring to the idea that all they do is kill women and children.
I have no allusion in thinking that today's military is not out to pave the way for Corporations, pulling the strings of Govt and vice verse. The Military is merely a tool they use.

I still love the military, as the GI/Grunt is not the decision maker.

The GI/Grunt is the decision maker, seeing as how he's the one pulling the trigger. You're right, that's not ALL they kill, but sadly women and children are included. We drone attack, and gun down whole families almost daily. Not respectable

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

I have no allusion in thinking that today's military is not out to pave the way for Corporations, pulling the strings of Govt and vice verse. The Military is merely a tool they use.

The GI/Grunt is the decision maker, seeing as how he's the one pulling the trigger. You're right, that's not ALL they kill, but sadly women and children are included. We drone attack, and gun down whole families almost daily. Not respectable

Sorry, but having first hand knowledge and lots of contacts within the military world you are wrong.
There are some instances of the unfortunate killing of civilians, but that is the horrors of war. It is terrible to say the least.
Most really have no idea as to what goes on, except what is shown on youtube and the MSM nightly news crap.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

You just agreed that the military is used for very bad things, but you love it because the lowly soldiers don't make the decisions? Maybe what you wrote just isn't clear to me. That just doesn't seem like a very convincing reason to love the military. It seems like the opposite. Control the masses. Make them do bad things.

Or, I love the masses that do bad things because the individual members have no say in what they do.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to get my point across here.

And in reply to the poster who commented about how everyone is saying "It's the law, you should just do it".
I'm absolutely surprised to find people who agree with that statement here.
And I agree with you.

edit on 5-6-2011 by Damek because: changed "like" to "love"

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You're absolutely correct. The Grunt is the decision maker.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Whoah there son. I'm not going to pipe in about the selective service bit. The bill at the other end of the schooling is going to knock your socks off. www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Damek

No, it's very clear. I love my brothers/sisters in arms.
The politicians are to blame.

To suggest that the GI/Grunt is responsible is like saying the pencil is at fault for the writing error.

The Military is used by the people in power, plain and simple.

And no, 99.999% of the time, the soldier does not go out and kill innocents.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

To suggest that the GI/Grunt is responsible is like saying the pencil is at fault for the writing error.

Does the US no longer have an all volunteer military?
When did that end?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

You had said that you "still love the military", not your brothers and sisters in arms.
That is more clear, as the military as a whole is not good. Your brothers and sisters probably are good, except they work for the enemy.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

When did that end?

Ok, you got me.

Oh wait, checkers huh?

That really does not matter.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damek
reply to post by macman

You had said that you "still love the military", not your brothers and sisters in arms.
That is more clear, as the military as a whole is not good. Your brothers and sisters probably are good, except they work for the enemy.

Yeah, the lingo is as such within the military world.

You and most would never understand it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The thing that really bugged me about registering for Selective Service: I had to supply my own stamp.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

War is not pretty, it never has been or will be. Bad stuff is going to happen especially with the nature of the enemy we face. Still i think its time to bail out of their not for their sake but for ours.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I don't know too much about this whole thing but it just kind of trips me out

In early april I applied for Federal Student Aid, which I'm sure plenty of others have done. I'm a married man with 2 kids making a sustainable living, however can't fork out the extra money for school. My wife also filled her application out at the same time. She got her approval a little under a month later, and I was like "hey, what about me???" (we're attending the same college).
About a week later, I recieved a letter that said "we've recieved your application for FSA, and it is being processed, however you are required to register for selective service before approval can be given. Visit www.SSS.gov, or fill out the attached form and mail it back to us in the pre-addressed envelope. If registration is not recieved, your application will not be processed and you will be prosecuted which can result in jail time. We don't want to prosecute you, so please register as soon as possible."

WTF is that?? I'm not a fighter, don't support the wars, but I DO support the troops. However I don't wanna be one, I just support them from afar. lol
It just leaves a bitter taste for them to say "register so we can come get you when we draft, or you'll go to jail".... I definitely would not be a proud soldier after having to choose between jail and combat.

So you didn't get threatened with jail time, you were simply told that you had to obey the laws of the country in which you are applying for financial aid.

As an older med student I understand how much of a pain it can all be, and, too, I realize the hypocrisy of forcing men to apply for Selective Service and not women. I am, however, unsure of how you had never registered with Selective Service in the past? It was my understanding that U.S. males had to register by their 18th birthdays, as I myself did at the post office.

Also, from the Selective Service Website:

"Explain to the official handling your case (for example, a student financial aid officer) the reasons for your failure to register with Selective Service. A non-registrant may not be denied any benefit if he can "show by a preponderance of evidence" that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible. "

So while you're upset and mad, you're overlooking two very important things: 1) you violated U.S. Law (not a smart thing to do, even if you don't agree with it, but 2) Selective Service tells you exactly how to handle the situation.

Your post is moot, but I hope some of the responses have set you on the correct path.

I am curious, however, how faux postings such as OPs are allowed to exist?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

When did that end?

Ok, you got me.

Oh wait, checkers huh?

I can see very little of what you say actually matters to you. In the same breath you have said

The military is a tool used by the powerful to make good people do bad things
and
you love it!

Even though every single person in the military is there because they chose to be
The vast majority of them should not be blamed for being there.

No, I guess it doesn't really matter. I should not have taken you seriously.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Really, so all those poor nazi soldiers were just "doing their job" as well as Pol Pots, Idi Amin Dada soldiers were just doing as they were ordered etc.
Maybe if these "grunts" said no, would we have the genocides we have had??
Believe it or not the American "grunt" is the Worlds terrorist, blindly following orders of their psychopathic leaders.
"It's the Law" what a croc, the "law" also says NO DEMONSTRATIONS at the TJ memorial, the "law" also allows for you to be held indefinitely if you are suspected of being a "terrorist" the "law" allows strangers to touch your private area's and dose you with radiation just to board a plane.
So the refrain "It's the Law" holds no water.
And what does the average American owe their government for anyways, ohh right not protecting your high paying manufacturing jobs, more people in prison per capita then China, a debt for you and countless generations yet unborn, do I really need to go on?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I don't know too much about this whole thing but it just kind of trips me out

If registration is not recieved, your application will not be processed and you will be prosecuted which can result in jail time. We don't want to prosecute you, so please register as soon as possible."

WTF is that?? I'm not a fighter, don't support the wars, but I DO support the troops. However I don't wanna be one, I just support them from afar. lol
It just leaves a bitter taste for them to say "register so we can come get you when we draft, or you'll go to jail".... I definitely would not be a proud soldier after having to choose between jail and combat.

Before you do something silly and high profile in protest, look up David Miller who spent time in the Onondaga county lockup for burning his draft card in public.

This is no big deal unless you make it one, just another form.

If you are seriously worried and do not want to serve in the very unlikely event they bring back the draft, take the time to register from a family address in the most rural county in your extended family. Rural districts have the highest volunteer rate and consequently the historically lowest draft rate.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

When did that end?

Ok, you got me.

Oh wait, checkers huh?

I can see very little of what you say actually matters to you. In the same breath you have said

The military is a tool used by the powerful to make good people do bad things
and
you love it!

Even though every single person in the military is there because they chose to be
The vast majority of them should not be blamed for being there.

No, I guess it doesn't really matter. I should not have taken you seriously.

Oh no, you don't take me seriously. I could either cry in the corner, or maybe loose some sleep tonight.

You will never get it, as you have never served. I don't expect you to get it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throm

Really, so all those poor nazi soldiers were just "doing their job" as well as Pol Pots, Idi Amin Dada soldiers were just doing as they were ordered etc.
Maybe if these "grunts" said no, would we have the genocides we have had??
Believe it or not the American "grunt" is the Worlds terrorist, blindly following orders of their psychopathic leaders.
"It's the Law" what a croc, the "law" also says NO DEMONSTRATIONS at the TJ memorial, the "law" also allows for you to be held indefinitely if you are suspected of being a "terrorist" the "law" allows strangers to touch your private area's and dose you with radiation just to board a plane.
So the refrain "It's the Law" holds no water.
And what does the average American owe their government for anyways, ohh right not protecting your high paying manufacturing jobs, more people in prison per capita then China, a debt for you and countless generations yet unborn, do I really need to go on?

Ah!! Another Anti-military, Pro-Liberal sideswipe.
Comparing the US military to Nazi's. Is that some argument notes from Media matters, code pink or someother site?

But, you are correct about the no dancing and the Patriot act. Both are unconstitutional.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

We don't want to prosecute you,

They were nice to you.

Register and get your college benefits.

When they kick up the draft, hightail it to Canada.

Nevermind, Canada will be part of NAU by then.

Canada will never be part of NAU. Even the concept of that is disgusting to the vast majority of Canadians.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just wanted to add my experiences..

I have never registered for the draft. I've avoided the last two censuses. I applied for, was approved and received FAFSA aid for the past 2 years. I did begin to enlist when I was 20 (10 years ago) but decided I didn't want to murder for or support murder for money. I'm curious if my probing and meeting with a recruitment officer satisfied the mandate to register with SSS? If anyone can answer this question it would be greatly appreciated.

That being said, it's odd that I didn't register for the draft and was approved for college grants without the threat of prosecution and/or jail time. It seems odd that this threat would appear now - it's as if they all of a sudden have a serious need for you to register and be available should a draft occur. Due to the state of the world, and the US scooping up oil reserves in the Middle East (oil reserves that China and Russia will no longer be privy to), it's disconcerting to hear that you have been threatened with jail time for not registering.

Anyway, OP, the draft is ridiculous in any "free" and "democratic" society. You just need to weigh your morals against your need to be free and provide for your family and make a choice. As you said in a subsequent post - they pretty much get their way no matter what you do.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join