It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2000 Year-old NEWSFLASH! Anti-homosexuality is Anti-Christianity; More Accurately Pro-Judaism.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
1 John|2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John|2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John|2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Let's not forget gossiping. The bible lists gossip beside witchcraft and sexual immorality, and yet in all of my younger years sitting in church, I've heard plenty of gossip, but never once was there a sermon against it.

Christians believe that God has forgiven their sin, and yet they forget that the Bible also teaches that as you sow, so shall ye reap.

There's also the parable of the man who owed money to the king, but he couldn't pay it back, and the king forgave him. That same man then went out and demanded money owed to him by another man, and refused to forgive the debt. His punishment was all the worse, for he had recieved forgiveness but had not in turn shown it.

The Bible also says that there will be many who will plead Lord, Lord, but he will answer to them to depart from him, for he never knew them.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
1 John|2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John|2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John|2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
LOL. Compare that to what you said.

. To the point where it says none who know Him can sin.
The difference may seem to be one of semantics, but the difference is huge. Humans are not God. We can keep his commandments in our hearts and will still fall down from time to time. Now one who lives outside of the word and blatantly continues to do so(here is where the problem arises with practicing homosexuals) is obviously not a disciple of the Savior. However, a Christian who slips and falls down; then repents and seeks the forgiveness of the Lord will not be denied. He still "knows the Lord" but is temporarily out of step with him. Only by failing to repent and reenter fellowship with the Lord would your statement be true. God knows that humans in our sinful flesh are eminently fallible. Fortunately, the blood of Jesus can cover our failings and frailties. Choosing to reject him, claiming to know him while choosing to consistently debase oneself in sin certainly shows that person to be a liar.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Well, I take a more traditional interpretation. I believe the Catholic Church is the church. In it if you commit a mortal sin you are in danger of being separated from God. That's why confession is so important; because we all fail from time to time.
edit on 4-6-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOrangeBrood
John 8:4,5

and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.

In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?"

Pray, does this not sound familiar to the kind of arguments that "Christians" come up with against homosexuality regarding harsh punishments for homosexuality in Levitican Law?

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Jesus then told the woman to go forth and sin no more, he never told her that her adultery was acceptable, or that she could continue on in adultery and be forgiven.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Orion75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOrangeBrood

still taking the bible's word as 'literal meaning'?
edit on 6/4/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The bible's position as the literal, inspired, infallible word of God, protected by him through the centuries, through translations, revision and separation from the context it was written in is THE fundamental foundation of the christian faith in all it's forms.

So, please, would one of those who hold this stance, that the Bible is the infallible word of God, applicable and relevant to all human beings throughout time, please do me one big favour, and answer me one simple question:

Where is that written?
edit on 4-6-2011 by TheIrvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Would it be news to you if I told you that what you think of as the 10 commandments are NOT the 10 commandments given to Moses?

There's a little header above chapter 20 in our TRANSLATION of the collection of ancient texts chosen by the Roman Catholic Church to be given their HUMAN stamp of approval as being "God's Word" that says "The 10 Commandments", but if you actually read the words that are written, what we consider to be the 10 commandments is actually a dialogue between Moses and God, a version of the oath a Pharoah must make before accepting his role as Pharoah, preparing him to be God's Pharoah, which was obvious to Moses, being the adopted son of the Pharoah. If you read on in following chapters, eventually once you get into the 30s, you finally get to read in the text that These are the commandments given to Moses by God, and they're not the ones you know off by heart.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

I do not consider catholicism to be Christianity. Catholicism is a religion that worships the pope and various saints and idols. It is highly tainted by paganism. That is not to say that there may not be individual Christians in the catholic church, but by and large members of that religion have been deceived by a great lie. This would be an entirely different thread though and thus hugely off topic here.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The Roman Empire created Christianity, the Roman Catholics are the progenitors of all the denominations, including the protestant demoninations. We even brought their "Bible" with us when we left.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
the bible can be interpretted to prove anyones point.
I tend to stay away from anything bible related

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Who would've thought that no self-righteous Christianesques would even show up to an argument that they can't polarize to the point of sheer ignorant idiocy.
edit on 4-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

You're ignorant of scripture. Read Romans, read the book of John, etcetera. Homosexuality is clearly condemned in the NT and you are heavily discouraged from sinning. To the point where it says none who know Him can sin.

I am ignorant of the scripture?
Is that really all you've got? I've read 4 different versions of the Bible to date, cover to cover, and been through 18 years of Christian education. I'm ignorant, you're informed, right. COOL STORY.

Romans was written by the Apostle Paul, who was a footlet for turning the Church into a corporation of greed, demanding "tithes" for prayer.

Again, Christianity is about Jesus' teachings, not what the Apostles chose to warp it into after he died to make some cash!

Phar·i·see
   /ˈfærəˌsi/ Show Spelled[far-uh-see] Show IPA
–noun
a member of a Jewish sect that flourished during the 1st century b.c. and 1st century a.d. and that differed from the Sadducees chiefly in its strict observance of religious ceremonies and practices, adherence to oral laws and traditions, and belief in an afterlife and the coming of a Messiah.
( lowercase ) a sanctimonious, self-righteous, or hypocritical person.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's worse than that. Paul, or Saul, was sent by the Romans to stamp out actual christianity, which wasn't a million miles away from Buddhism, and replace it with as the previous poster said, corporate christianity.

So, how does one accomplish this? How do you beat a bunch of religious zealots?

Well I've an idea! How about, on your way to "destroy" them, you meet up with their dead leader, in an amazing religious experience. You then get your guards to take you to the christians, where you tell them all about how great their leader is, and about the amazing miracle that allowed you to see him, but then robbed you of your sight.

Of course, as soon as you meet the leaders of the faith, your sight is miraculously restored, and now you're ready to take over leadership of the faith.

Does nobody smell a rat here?

Of course, many of Paul's teachings flew in the face of what Jesus taught. Jesus taught that all were equal, that God saw no difference between man and woman, free or bond. Paul taught that women were to be subordinate to man and remain silent in church. Jesus taught that there was a special place in heaven for "eunuchs", which in todays language mean someone who's been castrated, but it's original meaning was a man who would not bear children. That's why Jesus made it clear that all kinds of eunuch were included in this - those who were born that way, those made that way by another, or those who chose to be that way.

So much of modern christian teaching isn't even in the Bible, and I know, I grew up in the church. There's a game of the Emporer's New Clothes being played. All christians who have thought for themselves at all know that it's full of contradictions and things that just don't make sense, but they deny it fervently, because to utter it aloud would be an act of doubt.

It must all be true, because they're up the creeek without a paddle if it isn't, so they deny, deny deny.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I love when self professed atheists try to interpret that which they do not know or believe. Get a clue before spewing your tripe. The problem with the woman caught in Adultry was THE LAW. the LAW required the killing of BOTH not just one of them. Jesus wrote the LAW in the sand and showed hem they would be murderers if they did that... I just love Biblically ignorant people interpreting it...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
woops, double post

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Not much of a shock there. Judaism is the most tolerant of the Abrahamic faiths. It should be, it's also the oldest. Jesus was a Jew too don't forget. From reading about him I would say that he wouldn't have a problem with gays. It's RELIGION that has a problem with it.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

I love how people whose only source of biblical interpretation is what a single pastor tells them once a week. here I have stated that I studied the Bible for two decades with prestigious professors and you call me ignorant... and then make absolutely no relevant point whatsoever. Jesus very much advocated that people should not persecute sinners, that is God's job. Perhaps you should try reading the bible instead of "spewing nonsensical tripe", kiddo. Or at least the rest of my damn post.

Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion75

John 8:4,5

and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.

In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?"

Pray, does this not sound familiar to the kind of arguments that "Christians" come up with against homosexuality regarding harsh punishments for homosexuality in Levitican Law?

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Jesus then told the woman to go forth and sin no more, he never told her that her adultery was acceptable, or that she could continue on in adultery and be forgiven.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Orion75 because: (no reason given)

As the point flies right over your head, I'll reinstill what this thread is about: Humans persecuting humans for their behaviors.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

still taking the bible's word as 'literal meaning'?
edit on 6/4/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

Perhaps you missed the metaphors in my post and me explaining them?

Must've not been clear since it's in writing and a religious person was reading it, my bad.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Not much of a shock there. Judaism is the most tolerant of the Abrahamic faiths. It should be, it's also the oldest. Jesus was a Jew too don't forget. From reading about him I would say that he wouldn't have a problem with gays. It's RELIGION that has a problem with it.

Matt 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female,
Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Mat 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

either homosexuality is a sin, or 99% of the church has been wrong these last 2,000 years.

not to previous poster; Paul said he did NOT think circumcision was a requirement for being a Christian

Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
Gal 5:11 Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished.
Gal 5:12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join