It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons of Life ~ After 50 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Written by a 50 year old

This is something we should all read at least once a week!!!!! Make sure you read to the end!!!!!!

Written by Regina Brett, 50 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio .

"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I've ever written.

My odometer rolled over to 50 in August 2006, so here is the column once more:

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month.

6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.

8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.

9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.

10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.

13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.

15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.

16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.

19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.

23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.

24. The most important sex organ is the brain.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'

27. Always choose life.

28. Forgive everyone everything.

29. What other people think of you is none of your business.

30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

33. Believe in miracles.

34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.

35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

37. Your children get only one childhood.

38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.

39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

42. The best is yet to come...

43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

44. Yield.

45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
edit on 3-6-2011 by princeguy because: Faulty Info

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
s&f
this is great, some of them are very inspirational and motivating. thank you for this.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I wish it was easier to hold this type of mentality through out the day! It seems so easy to forget how beautiful life really is.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The wisdom of experience is second to none. Its a shame our elders aren't treated with more respect and reverance. If we only listened to their insight, how many problems could be fixed?

I would love to meet this lady someday.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

44. Yield.
Mint. So simple, so right.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think this may inspire some people, but it does absolutely nothing for me. Especially the nonsense about things getting better...they get worse and worse and when you think they can't get any worse, they get worse still.

And as far as "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Maybe not. Maybe whatever doesn't kill you weakens you enough that you can be killed easier next time.

It's easy to spew these sorts of sound-bite platitudes. It doesn't matter if it's coming from a 90 year old, it's still nonsense in my experience.

If it makes someone more impressionable happy, even for a minute, however, you've done that person a favor...does nothing for me, though.
edit on 3-6-2011 by joechip because: spelling

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by joechip
I think this may inspire some people, but it does absolutely nothing for me. Especially the nonsense about things getting better...they get worse and worse and when you think they can't get any worse, they get worse still.

And as far as "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Maybe not. Maybe whatever doesn't kill you weakens you enough that you can be killed easier next time.

It's easy to spew these sorts of sound-bite platitudes. It doesn't matter if it's coming from a 90 year old, it's still nonsense in my experience.

If it makes someone more impressionable happy, even for a minute, however, you've done that person a favor...does nothing for me, though.

Guess it all depends on your outlook. If you want to see something good, you will, if you adore misery, it will accompany you.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Thanks, S & F !

The only thing that would make this better, is if it came with a Werther's Original

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeguy

Originally posted by joechip

Guess it all depends on your outlook. If you want to see something good, you will, if you adore misery, it will accompany you.

Certainly does depend on your outlook. I've come to realize happiness is a state of mind. Why some individuals can have "everything", yet be totally miserable and others have merely "nothing", yet be completely immersed in happiness is a true testament to this ideology.
edit on 3-6-2011 by UnknownPhilosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownPhilosopher

I never really fully understood the saying "Life is what you make it" until recently, The truth of that statement is unfathomable.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
S&F

Just to note, the author is 50 and not 90 - not that the difference in age takes anything away from these pearls of wisdom:

Regina Brett

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by princeguy

Indeed it is. Once its understood, the entanglement factor is immense. All aspects of life are effected in whatever manner you wish for them to be.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

LOL, Thats what I get for not doing my research! thanks for the fix!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lizziejayne
Just to note, the author is 50 and not 90 - not that the difference in age takes anything away from these pearls of wisdom:

Someone could spend their life following how these things start out as one bit of text and then get altered by people in that chain letter manner.
The version posted has the authors name cut out, age changed and 5 rules are missing.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The authors name is clearly posted.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have to ask, how was this person's health? My Mom is 87 and and in constant pain ever day of her life, has a variety of health problems and is very fortunate she can still get out once or twice a week. Yes she still has a sense of humor, but sometimes it is pretty difficult. I watched my Dad for many years go from a very out-going, confident and humerous man, to weak and struggling until he died. Now I am watching Mom decline more and more each day.

At that age, you have probably lost a spouse of many, many years, as well as reletives and friends. You probably have a myriad of serious health issues. Some people are stronger emotionally than others. Some people age well and do not have half the physical problems that someone else may have. It is very easy for a younger person to say they will be just like this 90 year old, but they don't know yet what their life will hold or how difficult it may be for them personally. Sometimes life can take a lot out of us no matter how strong we think we are. Life for most 90 year olds is not so easy.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Oh 50? Did this originally say 90???? There is a huge difference in how life is at 50 and 90.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Number 10 is sooo true for me. But nore so is # 39. Step outside every day and you will see miracles is very true.

But you gotta look a little sometimes to understand what they are.

It honestly makes me feel so much better to go for a walk in the woods and see the things that are just there.
If your stressed, just try it sometime.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Certainly does depend on your outlook. I've come to realize happiness is a state of mind. Why some individuals can have "everything", yet be totally miserable and others have merely "nothing", yet be completely immersed in happiness is a true testament to this ideology.

What the latter person "has" is the foundation on which to build a happy life, through no fault of their own they have often been blessed with mental health, usually through a less than traumatic childhood. This 'state of mind" is nothing they have chosen, but instead a fortunate accident of genetics and environment. In the same way, the habitually miserable among us certainly do not "choose" to be unhappy, nor could they simply "choose" otherwise. To say otherwise is illogical and while it may fit in nicely with your worldview, is nonetheless simply untrue. Do not blame the morbidly depressed for their condition, nor minimize their struggles with a simplistic platitude.

Thank you.

edit on 4-6-2011 by joechip because: clarification

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by joechip

Everyone is responsible for there own condition, to say otherwise is irresponsible. We are not minimizing their plight nor are we saying it is easy. But everyone has bad incidents that can lead them into disaster, depending on the choices they make. Put two people in the same situation, say its a life changing event, person "A" chooses to overcome there limitation and continue life joyfully, Person "B" chooses to wallow in self pity and misery. Neither choice is easy, but the outcomes will set the stage for there future decisions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join