It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-year-old boy gets ticket for not wearing seat belt properly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

On his way home Tuesday from Jim Plain Elementary School in Leander, fourth-grader Marshall May, sitting in the passenger seat of the family minivan, was ticketed for not wearing his seat belt properly. Problem is, Texas law says a person must be at least 15 years old to commit such an offense. If a child isn't properly secured by a seat belt, the adult in the car would be at fault, according to the law. But Marshall's aunt, Ashley Arredondo, 19, who was driving, didn't receive a ticket.

Source

A 10-year old gets a ticket for not wearing his set belt properly. A 10 year old. Normally, as the article states, it would be the driver of the automobile ticketed for such a thing. But no, the COP has to ticket the KID.

Is he being a complete jerk, or simply an egotistical jerk, instilling fear of the LAW in this kid who has no idea what's going on, or simply (ab)using his position to authoritatively thrust his own self-righteousness into the kid's mind?

Seriously, what kind of person, cop or not, feels it necessary to ticket a 10 year old passenger, if not to try to condition the kid in the ways of his own authority.

Even the city official saw that is was outrageous, and the funny--or sad--thing is that the cop did NOT know the law, because according to the article, "Texas law says a person must be at least 15 years old to commit such an offense".

How's that, once again a cop using his authority in a situation when he does NOT know the law and has NO legal right for his actions. Of course, they suspect the average citizen is ignorant, and this largely give them free rein for most of what they do, until they are called out for it.

It's things like this that really anger me. We see time and time again cops "i know the law," "i am the law," obey me, and people rarely challenge them--or stand up for their rights--even though they (the cops) could very well be in the wrong.

This reminds me of this thread (even though the TSA is not a branch of law enforcement they tried to insert themselves in the situation even though no law was being broken, which the cops, thankfully, KNEW).

And this thread cops not being able to CITE the law being broken

And this.

And...Texas cops discover new source of revenue... ticket thousands of school kids, many under 14 years of

And many more.

There was a recent thread, for which i am still looking, by a (supposed) cop where he says one of the top 3 things his department looks when reviewing performance is revenue generated. That should send up red flags to everyone.

People need to LEARN their rights so they are not stepped on, conditioned, intimidated, and that they give up their liberty and rights for cops so caught up in the adrenaline of their egos that they can't even properly and legally do their jobs.

Regardless if the kid "broke the seat-belt law," the cop has NO business (obviously because according to the law the offender must be 15) ticketing a 10 year old for something as stupid as "improperly wearing a seatbelt" even if under the guise of the kid's "safety," the DRIVER was NOT cited. Many of these laws are in place simply for purposes of revenue but hiding under the guise of safety. I am sure cops are "trained" that it's all about safety, or that is at least how they are conditioned to think even when it is NOT a safety issue, but it's largely about following orders, law (regardless of circumstances [insert anecdote]), and revenue.

Sickening.

I bet that cop felt like a man after giving that kid a ticket and making him sign the ticket. I wonder if he would have arrested him had he refused to sign it.

Social Conditioning at its finest, so welcome to the Police State.

People, stand up for your rights.

edit on 3-6-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
somebody will come in here at some point and try to defend the officers actions by the notion that there are so many laws that no cop can know them all... and yet, they'll never wonder if that is in fact the real problem.

Too many damn laws.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
somebody will come in here at some point and try to defend the officers actions by the notion that there are so many laws that no cop can know them all... and yet, they'll never wonder if that is in fact the real problem.

Too many damn laws.
That is what happens when lawyers are allowed to make the laws. It is a serious conflict of interest. Lawyers should not be allowed to make laws since they make money off of the application and interpretation of laws. Only non-lawyers should be eligible for house and senate positions.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I drive my kids around the neighborhood on my motorcycle sometimes. My 3 year old sits in front of me on the tank, and my 4 year old sits behind me on the seat. A friendly cop told me once that on a motorcycle, the person in the front is considered the driver, and if they ever decided to write a ticket it would go to the 3 year old!

I as actually pretty happy about that. Surely it will drop off his record in the next 13 years, LOL!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Big deal...so the ticket will get dismissed for being improperly issued. Likely, what will happen is that during his court appearance his aunt will be properly ticketed. It's the law, what's the problem?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Your post made me nervous just reading it. And I used to own a motorcycle! Couldn't imagine putting my 3 year old on one...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is truly sick, a ten year old boy getting a seatbelt ticket.If the cop noticed he wasn't wearing the seatbelt properly he should have shown the boy the correct way to wear it, and even gave him a short explanation as to why he should wear it correctly.My money says if the cop did that the boy would possibly would have a more positive view of cops as he gets older,now the boy will probably never forget this incident and being as he is only ten years old and impressionable he may now have a negative view of cops as he gets older, possibly for his entire life.

I believe most cops are good cops and support most of them and their actions,but sometimes idiots like this make people believe otherwise.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

LOL, he's been doing it since he was old enough to sit up!

Actually, he fits right between my legs, and my knees are there to keep him centered. He couldn't fall off.........unless I wrecked.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSouszay
This is truly sick, a ten year old boy getting a seatbelt ticket.If the cop noticed he wasn't wearing the seatbelt properly he should have shown the boy the correct way to wear it, and even gave him a short explanation as to why he should wear it correctly.My money says if the cop did that the boy would possibly would have a more positive view of cops as he gets older,now the boy will probably never forget this incident and being as he is only ten years old and impressionable he may now have a negative view of cops as he gets older, possibly for his entire life.

Exactly, and not so long ago that is exactly what would likely have happened.

The thing I am trying to figure out about cases like this is... where exactly do they expect a 10 year old to be able to PAY for a ticket?

Especially since they have to pay to set up lemonade stands anymore... lol

Oh jeeze, seriously, if this world had even a modicum of common sense we'd see such a beautirful place.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I am thinking he stopped them to give the ticket but the 19 year old was really cute and flirty, since he started the ticket and could not void it without getting in trouble he ticketed the kid :-)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Big deal...so the ticket will get dismissed for being improperly issued. Likely, what will happen is that during his court appearance his aunt will be properly ticketed. It's the law, what's the problem?

Yes, luckily the incident will likely get resolved.

It's the law? It's NOT the law that the kid can get ticketed.

What's the problem???? The problem is that the cop felt the need to ticket a 10 year old kid. According to the law, a kid that young can't b ticketed, yet he is lucky it was newsworthy. When cops can start ticketing of doing what they "feel," regardless of the outcome down line in the judicial system that is bassackwards as it is, the fact that this happened--and things like it happen far too often--is enough for concern and should help people become more aware.

The cop had no legal right to ticket the kid, but he did it, even if he was ignorant of the law, which he shouldn't be, for how can one enforce the law when one does not know the law? This makes one wonder what other things cops do when they do not have a legal justification.

That is the problem, and even more so when we shrug our shoulders and say "what is the problem? The courts will sort it out." That is HAPPENS is enough, and enough that we should stay active and aware.

It's indifference like that that contributes to these things continuing to happen because people are so apathetic.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Liquesence

I drive my kids around the neighborhood on my motorcycle sometimes. My 3 year old sits in front of me on the tank, and my 4 year old sits behind me on the seat. A friendly cop told me once that on a motorcycle, the person in the front is considered the driver, and if they ever decided to write a ticket it would go to the 3 year old!

I as actually pretty happy about that. Surely it will drop off his record in the next 13 years, LOL!

That's funny, and just goes to show how screwed up the laws, enforcement of, and the legal system are.

I have known people to get seat-belt violations while driving classic cars that were not even manufactured with seatbelts.

How they hell do you ticket a 3 year old?

The whole legal system is a sham (especially in these instances), and it's more about enforcing "the law" than using common sense and judgment regarding the circumstances or situation.

top topics

join