It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Educational assistance and the modern world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Ok, so this is appropriately....a RANT (Rage Against Normallity and Tendancies)

I am an adult going back to school to finish off my IT degree. More aptly, I am an adult, white, single, male, living in the Southeastern US, not affiliated with a particular religious denomination, with a good job making a decent income. Why is all of that important? Because any single or combination of those qualities eliminates me from 99.5% of any and all scholarship or grant programs.

I am not in poverty, so that eliminates me from the low income scholarships
I am white, so all of those outstanding minority scholarships are out
I am male, and there is a large sector of women only scholarships but no men only scholarships
I am not married, so family based aid is gone
I am the first in 2 generations to join the military, so the previous year war rewards for family members of (fill it in) are not available
I am 40, and the age limits either apply to teens recently leaving high school or a middle age requirement that has a hook in one of the above categories

I have looked through thousands of scholarships, grants, and more and keep coming up empty. I am not in poverty and have a good job, but at the same time I live alone and pay 100% of my expenses, which means I live just beyond the realm of check to check, with only a small amount each month left over at the end of each month.

What gives? Looking through these vast array of scholarships, about the only way to get any form of assistance beyond govt loans and paying the balance myself would be to quit my job or handicap myself somehow.
Why is it that a white male who takes responsibility for his life gets the absolute worst end of the whiplash when it comes to trying to make for a better future?

I am fine with all of the scholarships helping those that cant help themselves, but pppaaaallllleeeeeeezzzz.
You are never going to convince me that just being born black, hispanic or japanese makes you so much more deserving in these modern times than being born white. The same goes for the difference between men and women.

The system wants to be fair and balanced but very obviously leans and slants in certain ways so that there is actually no equality and not everyone can have the same chance as everyone else.

Rant Off.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I couldn't agree more - the entire education system is, in my opinion, a mechanism that quite brilliantly keeps us all indebted to a massive institute for decades. And of course the government has a brilliant way to manage complaints such as yours - Can't afford it? Always the military!

I share your frustration...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'm a white male and I got mine payed off. Just gotta work a little harder.

join