It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOMB! China Has Divested 97 Percent of Its Holdings in U.S. Treasury Bills

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Short term Treasury Bills earn next to nothing... go take a look if you doubt me. I don't know why anyone would invest in them. The Chinese aren't stupid, you expect them to keep buying things that yield nothing?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

What's wrong man, are you upset because you made a sensationalist thread with a title that is a flat out LIE and not everybody fell for it?

China did not sell off 97% of it's US debt PERIOD. This is a FACT. You are posting an outright lie and then bashing people that call you on it. Good job.

I know the dollar is toast, so don't try to act like you are somehow more awake to this fact than I am. Try to get a little integrity and stop using sensationalism and lies to get your point across, OK?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The sky isn't falling (yet), but something real interesting is going on. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to fully divest from short term bonds while still holding long term securities unless the Chinese are expecting a 3-12 month "hiccup" in the US' abillity to pay out T-bills. This may very well be a strong indication that the US will not raise the debt cieling before August 2nd and the GOP has been right all along in stating that inaction will not immediately lead to collapse of the dollar and federal default, but will result in a short term disturbance throughout the whole system.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The USA is actually the largest holder of debt. Pensions, Mutual Funds, Hedge Funds.

Notice bond prices over the past month? Straight up. Doesn't look like anything is going wrong, rather the opposite.

30 Year Bond

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wonderful, I would bet this is FED foreign QE and 205 billion more to the 2.1 trillion they have in Treasury notes and MBS's.

Japan stopped buying over internal problems, earthquake, meltdown, mutant rabbit outbreak.

China stopped buying to invest in gold, bailout Europe, and build out Pakistan and a couple other countries in key resource plays.

The FED just stopped buying because the credit card maxxed out and hit the damn debt ceiling and working on the pension fund as we post, who is left? Hope the aliens come with cash or oil quick too bad the rapture didn't happen, maybe we can hold out for the 2012 mayan/comet/end of the world before the the ponzi scheme ends.

counter herd mentality tells me the FED has a plan, if they don't we can always nationalize it if the politicians will not ban it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Uh, I wonder what is Japan doing! They are also holding quite some US bonds, and they NEED the cash to repair the country...

A dark part of me wonders if Japan has been made an "offer it can't refuse" in one form or another. Either after the quake or (even sicker) before. If before, perhaps they did refuse...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
But what have they been buying? The Euro is going to die too!

What are they buying instead?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

What's wrong man, are you upset because you made a sensationalist thread with a title that is a flat out LIE and not everybody fell for it?

China did not sell off 97% of it's US debt PERIOD. This is a FACT. You are posting an outright lie and then bashing people that call you on it. Good job.

I know the dollar is toast, so don't try to act like you are somehow more awake to this fact than I am. Try to get a little integrity and stop using sensationalism and lies to get your point across, OK?

Wow, slow down your getting all crazy now. Lies? What did I lie about? Usd is a goner so let's agree on that.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Couldn't agree more!

edit on 4-6-2011 by CodexSinaiticus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Resources and farmland in Latin America and Africa.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I don't think I'm getting all crazy, although I do get a bit upset when someone tells me to keep burying my head in the sand.

China did not sell off 97% of it's US debt, as is stated in this thread. That is the lie I'm talking about. Maybe just a mistake and someone wasn't specific enough, but the idea that some people in this thread seem to be perpetuating is that China sold off almost all of their US debt, which would be pretty serious. China didn't do that.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Regardless of alleged fear mongering and sensationalism and whatever else might extend this thread into a useless tedious argument back-and-forth, the fact that China diversed these short-term bonds is an interesting piece of news that indicates their level of confidence they hold with their investment here, and perhaps their confidence in the US ability to pay these as the moderator mentioned above.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I don't know why people sound the alarm bell on this. China's holdings only account(ed) for 7% of total US debt anyway. The biggest thing you should be worried about is China's 30 Gigawatt power deficit which is forcing them to raise electricity prices on commercial properties and factories. This will indirectly translate into more inflation in America as the increased electricity/production cost will be passed on to US consumers for anything shipped to there.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The thing is that this is old news its already priced in to the markets, they have been trading the dollar down since 2009. The US could open the door to higher interest rates by raising bond yields which would strengthen the US dollar. I think that is what the stock market is worried about, the Dow closed down 97.29 on Friday. QE 2 - 3 is rumored to be a different strategy that may actually stimulate demand for the US dollar and bonds...
edit on 4-6-2011 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81
QE 2 - 3 is rumored to be a different strategy that may actually stimulate demand for the US dollar and bonds...

But wouldn't QE3 just provide a short term spark? I am of the impression that more stimulus would shake global confidence and further erode the USD ?

I'm curious about something else. From looking at stats for US debt ceiling increases, the projected 2.4 trillion cushion would appear to be the highest amount ever. Does this simply create the opportunity for QE3 and possible QE4 to be introduced ? What a mess.

brill

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Of course Sorcha Faal would start a rumor like this.

Zero Hedge demolishes this story.

The USD is a joke, but don't run to the bunker yet. This story is sensationalized nonsense.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

i hate to sound dumb but i don't understand al that political and money talk, what's that all mean?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

Pretty sure this is a Sorcha Fail Hoax.

SOURCE

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is the truth, this thread is bogus

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
Yep and when the music stops youll still have the tune ringing in your ears,

Bye Bye Miss America Pie,
Drove chevy to the levy
But the credit ran dry
This will be the day the we all die !
edit on 3-6-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

Great lyrics.

If the recent news is true, then the elites have completed an important step of total fascism in United States. There'll be more fabrication and coverups in news, politics and economy.

An American in his/her right state of mind should seriously consider to migrate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join