It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bet 90-95% of you don't know who Paul Revere was or What he did to become Famous...Sarah Palin Kn

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Regarding your little one, I've got a 5 and an 8 year old. I've mentioned it here before, but we are VERY lucky to have an excellent public school system here...they go to a "blue ribbon" school and it is required pre-kindergarten that they can spell basic words, know numbers, etc...the thing that is really great is it is FUN to help them learn, play word games, etc...the most amazing thing to me is realizing that there is a massive amount of brain power going on there and they WANT to learn...It is NOT something to be ashamed of or looked at as snobish - rock on smart people who love their kids!

CJ
edit on 6-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Everyone is wrong .. Palin more than everyone, but still .. even those that say they know Paul Revers story are wrong..

The Story of Paul Revere is actually a poem written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow called "Paul Revere's Ride" in 1861, a considerable amount of time after the fact and 40 years after Revere died.

The real story was that Revere was not the only person assigned to warning the surrounding area of Boston, and the lanterns were set up by himself and Robert Newman across the Charles River. There was also a second messenger, by the name of William Dawes.

Dawes and Revere as well as Samual Prescott eventually rode to Concord (only making it to Lexington) to warn Adams and Hancock yelling out "The regulars are coming" as they entered Lexington (not Concord). The heroe in the poem that makes it to Concord to warn our forefathers of impending attack?

Sanual Prescott.

Revere was arrested in Lexington, questioned and released but the soldiers stole his horse.

www.revolutionary-war-and-beyond.com...

There is a nice little map of the true story.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The problem here is you all seem to think the President actually DOES something. The President is a mere puppet, a mouthpiece for the ones calling the shots. POTUS does NOT make any decisions on basically anything. He (or she) appears to make decisions. Decisions that the handlers tell him to make. Period.

Caribou Barbie is an obvious idiot. Dumb as a bag of hammers. I'd put her a couple of notches above Dubya, who is truly borderline retarded. Now we have Obama, who is equally clueless. He is somewhat ok at public speaking, as long as his teleprompter keeps working. Never appears to have had a job in his life, much like Bush. Does not appear to have ANY type of history, actually. How could he know anything about ANYTHING when all he has done all his life, apparently, was to be a "community organizer" of slums in Chicago corruption machine politics. That's it. Doesn't really qualify him for ANYTHING.

They are mouthpieces, something to get all you troglodytes worked up about while the real power tells them what to do. How else could someone who has never had a job or any type of responsibility whatsoever, make decisions affecting hundreds of millions of lives?

And you only get two to choose from. Candidate A, or Candidate B. Both fully vetted by TPTB. Here is your freedom of choice, you idiots. Do not choose anyone except the two that WE tell you to. That way we don't care which one you choose, they are BOTH already in our pockets. This just lets you THINK you have some say in the matter.

At least Caribou Barbie is hot. That's all that really matters for a figurehead. Her voice could be a little less annoying, I guess that would be an improvement.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Agree with you on every point except one, and it's just my personal taste so I won't mention it other than, really? Eeeewww...

CJ

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just throwing this out there to add fuel to the fire. I personally do not want to see her run.

Link

Sarah Palin yesterday insisted her claim at the Old North Church last week that Paul Revere “warned the British” during his famed 1775 ride — remarks that Democrats and the media roundly ridiculed — is actually historically accurate. And local historians are backing her up.

Have fun.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

He was a man who rode through the colonies drunk, screaming about Minute Men.

He really was drunk though, and I have heard several stories where he had to get someone else to do the job, because he was too drunk lol

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

That was a whole lot of nothing. Bottom line is, you are calling people stupid for considering her as running for POTUS when it is her supporters that are sending her money to help support her in running for POTUS. Write all the personal feelings essays you want and what you feel you need to justify about you. That is just great. I do not care. I am just dealing with reality and facts. You and Mishigas need a support group.

Fact: SARAHPAC is about her running for president. That is what the money is for. Liberals are not sending her money. People that do not like her are not sending her money. So the morons that think she is running for president seem to be mostly her own supporters. Just stick with the facts, it makes things easier. Save the emotional rants for your coffee group.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Quick it is...

Nathan Hale. Revolutionary war hero. Hung by the British for espionage. "I regret that I have but one life to lose for my country".

James Bushnell. Inventor of the submersible "Turtle".

Benedict Arnold. Brilliant general who fought the British invasion out of Canada. Only later did he attempt treason by selling plans to West Point.

Clymer was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. So, too, was Thornton.

Five for five.

This whole silliness is a tempest in a teapot. Whilst it should stand to reason that everyone, including Canadians, should know who Revere was...it quite simply isn't that big a deal. But then that wouldn't play into the partisan ideology would it?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I thought everyone (Americans at least) knew the history of Paul Revere. I was very surprised to learn today however that Sarah Palin was right according to the article below....
and I am not a fan of hers.
Excerpts below:

June 6, 2011 | 3:04 am
You know how Sarah Palin said Paul Revere warned the British? Well, he did. Now, who looks stupid?

You may have heard recently something about that Sarah Palin telling a reporter that Paul Revere warned the British on his famous rousing revolutionary ride.

Now, that so many Americans have wallowed in their smug confirmation that Palin is an idiot unqualified for anything but repeating sixth-grade history, how far, wide and fast do you think the contradictory news will spread that the former governor of Alaska was indeed correct?

The well-known fable is Revere's late-night ride to warn fellow revolutionaries that....

...the British were coming. Less known, obviously, is the rest of the evening's events in which Revere was captured by said redcoats and did indeed defiantly warn them of the awakened militia awaiting their arrival ahead and of the American Revolution's inevitable victory.

Palin knew this. The on-scene reporters did not and ran off like Revere to alert the world to Palin's latest mis-speak, which wasn't.

I am speechless.....Sarah was actually right about something? Well we are here to deny ignorance so I felt like this should be presented. Off to the history books for attempted verification as no sources of that claim were presented in the article below:

source

edit on 6/6/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Seagull...props on your signature!

You're right too...this isn't are you smarter than a fifth grader...I happen to love "history" and have made myself more familiar to these facts than those who's hobby may be watching QVC - they know a whole heck a lot about gigantic plastic rings than I ever will...

I suppose the notion that we somehow "know" what makes a good politician is ironic, in that, there are no good politicians, ba-dum-dum!

We could all post gaffe after gaffe of EVERY one of em' starting with the sitting President. If you're old enough, remeber Dukakis in a massively oversized helmet "driving" a tank? Had nothing to do with it, but somehow summed it up for the poor guy.

I just want this person to present a meaningful statement: ideology, whatever since she has the chance. I'm waiting and darn she is on the front pages everywhere...she's not going away but the real reason is, why is she here in the first place? A truthful indictment on the US political process, imho.

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Sure, go back and parse her statements...within there lies some half truths mixed with non-sequiters. Of COURSE she is right!

CJ

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
I thought everyone (Americans at least) knew the history of Paul Revere. I was very surprised to learn today however that Sarah Palin was right according to the article below....
and this is not coming from a fan of hers.
Excerpts below:

Not a fan? That author is Andrew Malcolm.
Andrew could not have his nose farther up inside Palin if she were birthing him.

Just sayin.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Isnt there a song about him, i think he was something to do with the american revolution, or was that a rhetorical question? Its shameful if she didnt know who he was, im not even american and ive vaguely heard of him.

Dedicated to Sarah Palin...

and sung by Paul Revere and the Raiders
edit on 6-6-2011 by hederahelix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

I was referring to the fact that I am not a fan of hers, not the author of the article and have clarified that by edit. I do get some really good laughs watching Tina Fey's impression of her on Saturday Night Live.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78

I was referring to the fact that I am not a fan of hers, not the author of the article. I do get some really good laughs watching Tina Fey's impression of her on Saturday Night Live.

My apologies for not understanding.

Although...

Now I am just differently confused. If you are not a fan of hers, why would you present this horrible mish mahsed "explanation" of part of what she kind of almost really said from one of her most ardent blog writing supporters?

Seems like an odd "unbiased" source for a non-fan to go touting about.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Because we are here to deny ignorance as stated in my post. If I learn something new, which I did today, and even if it is contrary to popular opinion, I feel like that information should be reviewed and presented for accuracy/verification purposes.

That is one of the benefits of being an Independent. I don't have to accept one party's side, or opinion without questioning it.

The article clearly showed the bias of the MSM who ran off to report Palin's statement. In the old days, there would be a lot of fact checking by the MSM before information denials.

Now, not so much.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I continue to be somewhat bewildered by the lack of notice placed on the context of her statement as it pretains to the question she was ask.

Does anyone have a video or audio clip which shows this?

It may be "sister Sarah" is smart enough to have such an answer prepared just to confuse the reporters; but I have some doubts about that being the case.
edit on 6-6-2011 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Hey manta, I saw several of these rebuttal clips around the net yesterday. When I first clicked on one, I was saying to myself, "Oh goodness - did you somehow jump the gun on this?" After watching each and every clip - which all showed the EXACT same thing as BEFORE, only with some added mumbo-jumbo about no matter how convoluted her answer was she was right! IT'S THE SAME CLIP!

CJ

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Doing some research on this matter on the net, not reviewing videos.

This site cited two sources about this controversy:

"Boston University history professor Brendan McConville said, 'Basically when Paul Revere was stopped by the British, he did say to them, ‘Look, there is a mobilization going on that you’ll be confronting,’ and the British are aware as they’re marching down the countryside, they hear church bells ringing — she was right about that — and warning shots being fired. That’s accurate." ~ From the Boston Herald

And Cornell law professor William Jacobson writes:

". . . Revere did in fact tell the British that the colonial militias, who had been alerted, were waiting for them . . . Palin's short statement on the video was less than clear; that sometimes happens but the part of the statement which has people screaming -- that Revere warned the British that the colonial militias were waiting -- appears to be true."

source

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

OK OK OK .... yet more and more inaccuracies.. from college professors no less, but quite honestly having been a history major in college it's not a surprise at all.

Paul Revere, when he was captured, was interrogated.. according to his own account for fear of his life he tried bluffing the soldiers into thinking they themselves were in direct harm. He advised 4 British Regulars that the country side knew of the British march and militias were being rallied. He advised specifically that 500 militiamen were on the march to Lexington.

As the Regulars began their march back to Lexington with Revere and Dawes as prisoner there was a "warning shot" Revere told the regulars this was the secret signal to begin an attack all over the countryside, meaning his guards were about to be ambushed.

The shot that they heard? The first shot of the Revolutionary War most likely, during the confusion of the British arrival in Lexington, while a British officer by the name of Picturn was trying to calm both sides down, someone (probably the militia) accidentally fired their gun.

This followed a volley.

At the same time they are walking back to Lexington, the Battle of Lexington took place. The Volley was a well practiced volley into a crowd of 200-300 militia on the Lexington Green, sparking the war and the Battle of Lexington/Concord.

No .. Revere did not warn the British .. he warned his captures because he wanted to scare them off (they eventually stole his horse and rode as fast as they could to Lexington) but by the time they arrived the damage had already been done and the war had started.

en.wikipedia.org...
bessel.org...
www.revolutionary-war-and-beyond.com...

Palin was wrong. Those professors were half wrong.

(ps.. I always loved proving professors wrong, especially puffed up imbeciles at "ivy league" universities.)
edit on 6/6/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join