It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you tell if food is genetically modified?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
There's been a lot of talk here on ATS about genetically modified food by Monsanto and GMO, but not a lot of talk of how to tell whether food is modified or not. So how do you tell if the food you are eating is genetically modified?

For example, if i walk into an average grocery store (i.e. Safeway) and go to the produce aisle, are the fruits and vegetables genetically modified?

Any info would be much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I think the first tell tail sign is the size things seem to be a bit smaller than they use to, but since almost EVERYTHING is modified in one way or another its hard to say.

very good question.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You eat it turn into Frankenstein and your genitals fall off.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
great question.. i wonder the same thing myself.. i try to buy organic, but even then i cant be sure its not gmo?

i think it is becoming really difficult to avoid these things these days..

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Basically, if you purchase it in a supermarket, it is probably either partially or fully GM foods.

Consider this though, even if you are buying from a farmers market and you are thinking your getting organic, non-gm foods, that may be incorrect. Do you know what sort of pesticides they use? what fertilizer? if its meat, what did they feed the pigs/chickens...etc

You may have a great farm going, all unmodified foods growing...and a few birds that just got done feasting off of the GM food a few miles away fly over yours and deficate...dropping the GM off into your pure farm and absorbed by the plants. of course those plants do much better than the others due to it being frankenplant hybrids, and voila...you got a corrupt field without even trying.

Its so widespread now that you might as well be complaining about air pollution...your still breathing it, weather you want to or not.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I always thought they would be bigger. Isn't that the whole purpose is to get bigger, heavier products to make more money? That's just my intial thought though.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
to my understanding

you can not

the us government has made it so most of our beef is now from north america

not the us or mexico or canada

north america

our labeling is a crime and should be consider genocide

in the last decade millions have died as a result of food born illness in the us alone

this is genocide

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I just found this article on PLU codes for fruit, apparently its the little codes on the stickers that come on fruit. But this is only fruit from what I know.

As reported by Maria Gallagher, in the June 26, 2002 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer, by reading the PLU code, you can tell if the fruit was genetically modified, organically grown or produced with chemical fertilizers, fungicides, or herbicides.

Here's how it works:

For conventionally grown fruit, (grown with chemicals inputs), the PLU code on the sticker consists of four numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 9. Genetically engineered (GM) fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 8. For example,

A conventionally grown banana would be:

An organic banana would be:

A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be:

The numeric system was developed by the Produce Electronic Identification Board, an affiliate of the Produce Marketing Association, a Newark, Delaware-based trade group for the produce industry. As of October 2001, the board had assigned more than 1,200 PLUs for individual produce items.

Incidentally, the adhesive used to attach the stickers is considered food-grade, but the stickers themselves aren't edible

Source

I'm not positive on how accurate this information was or still is, I guess it's worth checking out your fruit though

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Some more nonsense

Obama Deregulates GMO Crops Despite Supreme Court Injunction

Source

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667

You are correct i bought organic bananas and the PLU on it is 94011

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
So how do you tell if the food you are eating is genetically modified?

For example, if i walk into an average grocery store (i.e. Safeway) and go to the produce aisle, are the fruits and vegetables genetically modified?

Pretty much all the fruits & vegies in the produce aisle are genetically modified at Safeway, Fry's, Walmart, Albertson's. Sometimes they carry (very seldom) a batch of organic potatoes, but it will also say it on the sign and the cost will be more. You'll be paying at least double the cost if it's true organic vegies & fruits.

Sometimes over by the rack where they have salad dressings, there will be a few choices of brands that are organic, such as organic lettuce, organic prepackaged salads, organic carrots and organic celery. It will be stamped on the bag Organic with a proper label. And sometimes if the fruits are organic (very rare in the standard grocery store) -- each apple will have its own Organic sticker on it.

You'd have better luck finding organic at Trader Joe's, Sprouts, and Whole Foods. Whole Foods usually has the largest organic vegie & fruit section and very few conventionally grown fruits/vegies.

new topics

top topics

join