It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bipartisan Congress rebuffs Obama on Libya mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The Drudge headline was even stronger:

OBAMA SUFFERS 'STUNNING REBUKE' ON LIBYA

A bi-partisan House of Representatives voted that obama had overstepped his authority on Libya.

source

Crossing party lines to deliver a stunning rebuke to the commander in chief, the vast majority of the House voted Friday for resolutions telling President Obama he has broken the constitutional chain of authority by committing U.S. troops to the international military mission in Libya.

and ...

Still, taken together, 324 members of Congress voted for one resolution or both resolutions, including 91 Democrats, or nearly half the caucus. The size of the votes signals overwhelming discontent with Mr. Obama’s handling of the constitutional issues surrounding the Libya fight.

Interesting that so many democrats would break ranks with obama just when he's starting to really need their support for his re-election bid.

edit on 6/3/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Clearly, Obama's arrogance on this particular and highly unpopular issue is coming back to haunt him. Oddly, the man is determined to ride into Tripoli on a white horse come hell or high water.

Don't expect his die hard defenders to speak up on the issue anytime soon. Everytime I ask them THE question about Libya and a new war, it goes unanswered.

This bipartisan support is somewhat reassuring that congress has begun to listen. If only for the moment.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Does anyone know where I can find a site with congressional vote breakdown? Not on just this issue, but in general, so that I can keep tabs on the votes of my own congresspeople.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
from the halls of montezuma to the shore of triploiiiiiiiiii obama will fight fight for "freedom" one air land and sea.

sorry that is an insult to the marines but i couldnt resist my apologies.

interesting to see this the left always has an angle and the election is still a ways off one will hope this will make a diffence but i am not counting on it.

i have read that no president have been re elected with a weak economy and a high unemployment rate.

obama is still in iraq and afghanistan and pakistan and libya

iraq was unconstitutional
afghanistan has become unconstitutional
pakistan never gets mentioned as being unconstitutional

but libya is unconstitutional.

we should have never went into libya and its time we get out and we get out of those other countries.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Amazing. I would have assumed that the elite would force the congress critters to back the chosen one. I can only think that the TPTB are just about done with him and will usher in his replacement next election.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

i have read that no president have been re elected with a weak economy and a high unemployment rate.

FDR was the only one.

I do agree...Obama shouldn't be F'ing around in Libya...but then again...we shouldn't be anywhere. this is more of "the same" for Republicans....gotta be against the big "O" no matter what.

If a Republican would have done this they wouldn't say much of anything.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Lets hope congress are growing balls.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

If a Republican would have done this they wouldn't say much of anything.

What are you talking about?

A Republican - Bush - even had congressional approval and democrats/progressives went apes--t ...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

What are you talking about? A Republican - Bush - even had congressional approval and democrats/progressives went apes--t ..

You are missing the point. If a Republican President had done this...not Obama...Republicans would support it. Of course dems/progressives would be pissed if it were a GOP pres.

Swings both ways....you know it's true....although Republicans are a bit more "lenient" on the issue. They seem to have no problem funding our military without paying for it right?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nice to see that Obama doesn't listen to anyone, regardless of lawfulness or side, or for those that elected him.

But, I am sure those voters will circle the wagon and provide some BS excuse as to why he has to do this.

new topics

top topics

join