It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced survival skill: Squad Movement AKA how to move your family safely...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Lets face facts if you have to bug out you gotta have a plan... where to go, how you'll get there... hopefully safely... when it comes to movement through hostel territory no one is more adapt than the US Military... years of training and research have gone into the building of the modern Squad. No your family is not, and hopefully never will be a tactical fire-team.. but the lessons learned in how they (a real fire team) operate is one subject that can keep all of you alive...

for this lesson I'm sending you to another website... there you find the section on Squad Movement taken right out of the Army platoon leaders guide book... No not everything will apply to you and your family... but the lessons it teaches might help you move your family from point A to point B safely...

Army units execute missions in preplanned, organized ways, adapting where necessary to the situation on the ground to accomplish their mission.The four-Soldier rifle fire team is the smallest tactical combat element that can fire and maneuver. The squad leader controls two fire teams; one team provides protective fire to cover the other team as it maneuvers. Squad leaders learn to select formations that afford the best control, security, flexibility, and fire capability whenconducting tactical movement.

Combat can be an extremely chaotic, mind-numbing experience. Combat situations demand that officers and NCOs make split-second decisions, as you can see from this story of a patrol in the Korean War.

Here's the link... happy studing ya all

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I intend on imparting most of my BCT knowledge to my wife when I have the chance. I think it is very important to be able to move in a military fashion, hold ground if need be, and be able to draw the enemy into ones "irons" by performing tactical pullback maneuvers. There is a right and a wrong way to do this, and with out the proper knowledge I won't be an effective teacher and we won't be an effective team should we need to bug out in a chaotic situation.

Thanks for the info.
edit on 3-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Pretty important subject and one I've wanted to cover on the All Things Survival radio show but haven't gotten around to yet.
Combat firepower aside, I can condense the rules for movement down a little.

Rules for concealed movement.
1) Make sure your clothing and gear blends in with your environment. Thread on Camouflage here - www.abovetopsecret.com...
Also, strap all gear down to make it as quiet as possible. Footwear other than boots can be helpful in this regard. Walking in single file is also quieter though not always sound tactically.

2) Don't move any faster than you can observe the environment around you.

3) Maintain silence at all times using hand signals for communication.

4) Use cover when possible to hide you but allow for vision through and around vegetation.

5) Avoid movement along hilltops and ridges as it makes you easy to silhouette. Learn what a Military Crest is and use them. Conversely, stay out of bottom land and valleys as you are easy to spot from a hillside.

6) Avoid crossing open areas like fields or roads.

7) Stay in shadows and shaded areas when possible.

8) If on a path or road walk along the inside of the curve. This allows you to duck into cover easily (this is also how predators will walk along paths when hunting).

9) Use optics or nightvision to scan not only ahead of you but to the sides and behind as well.

Children can learn to be quiet easily if convinced that they are playing a game of hide and seek.

Remember than anything shiny and reflective can get you spotted from miles away (belt buckles, eyeglasses, binocular lenses, etc)

The last in the group should be covering your back trail and those in the middle watch the flanks. The point position is exhausting when done properly and should be rotated on a regular basis to avoid fatigue.

Everyone loves a fire at night but it could be the thing that gets you killed. If you must make a fire keep it low and try to hide it by digging a small pit.

We had a great deal of fun working with the Marine scout sniper instructors on developing group mantracking and evasion tactics. There is so much to be said about being able to cover your trail that it just won't fit in this thread.
Thanks DB, you always bring up the vital stuff.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Daddy Bare always breaks out the good stuff.

Much appreciated. Great info as always. The formation is a key item.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I am spiritual but live in a physical world! Appreciate your guidance, it may be needed in the times ahead!
I never think about me only my family. I am here to be reborn, I already have a place in the UK which my instinct says will be safe in the time ahead. I am an 11.11, lets see what it brings.

In love and peace.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Great tips. way too many people skyline themselves as a normal habit. Get to the top and look around sort of behavior. The 'inside track' is something just as important.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
One more thing I didn't see covered in this lesson...
when moving children you place them in the center of the formation then flankers at their sides for security...
you'll really have to slow way down and check often to make sure they are hydrated and have enough energy to keep going.... you cant push the little ones to do more than they can but they will surprise you with how much they can do...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
My biggest question is how to handle random encounters with other people and groups.
You will probably be bumping into others regardless of how discreetly you're moving.
Groups that might be just like yours - a family or maybe the'yre not too friendly and are looking to take your food. How to know what their intent is and how to avoid possible conflict are going to be important questions.
Your group will need to establish rules for this to avoid confusion.

My greatest fear is that situations such as random encounters will turn innocent people on each other simply out of mistrust.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Brake contact/react to and traveling/overwatch is all you really need unless your family consists of military age males...
Avoid any kind of contact, unless have to. Stay off the roads. Move through shi**y terrain/one that is less likely to be traveled through. METTTC, learn it, use it.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaskad
Brake contact/react to and traveling/overwatch is all you really need unless your family consists of military age males...
Avoid any kind of contact, unless have to. Stay off the roads. Move through shi**y terrain/one that is less likely to be traveled through. METTTC, learn it, use it.

are you infantry too? not too many i dont think were taught METTTC.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Yes.
You right about that.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I didnt cover METT-TC
Mission, Enemy, Terrain and weather, Troops, Time available and Civil considerations...

little wonder most people just went, Blink, Blink... what the hell is METT-TC
Well to answer it is something we Military types learn in command school senior enlisted and OCS...
we old war horses just love to throw around these Acronym's... if you want one that is sure to apply itself in a time of TSHTF then use SNAFU - Situation Normal, All F***ed Up

5-9. Commanders use the factors of METT-TC to assess the situation. Staff estimates and collaborative information sharing among commanders refine and deepen their situational understanding. Commanders then visualize the operation, describe it within their intent, and direct their subordinates toward mission accomplishment. Depending on echelon, commanders examine the elements of operational design and determine factors that will shape the operation. Commanders direct operations and synchronize the BOS through plans and orders. They personally apply the leadership element of combat power through their presence and priorities (see Figure 5-1).

if your really into it...Here's a link that goes deep into the subject but this doesn't really apply to most of you here

But let me reiterate.... when moving your family their safety is your only concern...
That does not mean your bringing along the wife and kiddies to watch as you go all Rambo on someone!

99% of anyone your likely to run into will be just like you, simply trying to get them and theirs to some safe place... however we all know there will be that 1% and they are unlikely to just stand openly in the road, more likely they'll set up an ambush.. or hit you at night when your all asleep... Not out in the open where the risk is high that they will get hurt too...if you do encounter another family on the open road fall back, get off the trail let them pass and exchange as few words as possible... make it clear by both words and posture you want no trouble nor company.... Don't just start taking people into your group... large numbers of people are hard to manage... better to form smaller sub units... and keep them spread out so your all not bunched up tripping over each other...If your lucky enough to have someone with Military or police experience... that person need to walk point as well as take and keep control... even if that person is granpa and his walker
edit on 6-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join